An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies You Have Watched Recently

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

2 hours ago, Not A Mallard said:

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - Best popcorn movie in recent years (since The Avengers).

The Peanuts Movie (2015) - First time since I saw it in theaters; made me realize how much of an empty nostalgia trip it is.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - It's impressive, but I'm not a big fan of it.

Interesting… for some reason I thought you really liked  Raiders. Just curious, why are you not a big fan of it?

And why did you think that The Peanuts Movie was empty? I thought it was great.

Not A Mallard
1 hour ago, Seven77 said:

Interesting… for some reason I thought you really liked  Raiders. Just curious, why are you not a big fan of it?

And why did you think that The Peanuts Movie was empty? I thought it was great.

Raiders... The action scenes and stunts are fantastic, but the story feels anti-climactic, the gore of the climax comes out of nowhere, and I'm not sure whether I can root for a romance that has an unhealthy past (an adult man courting a teenage girl).

The Peanuts Movie... I loved it when I saw it in theaters. Watching it now, it still has a heartwarming story, but it doesn't get there until the second half; until then, its constant references to past Peanuts media made the whole thing feel like a by Peanuts fans, for Peanuts fans cash-in. I bought into the nostalgia last time; by now, perhaps I've grown tired of franchises cashing in on nostalgia for themselves and longing for something new from Hollywood.

Edited by Not A Mallard

Not A Mallard

Donnie Darko (2001) - ...Huh?

The Rocketeer (1991) - Some viewings the story feels lacking, and other viewings it hits the spot; its musical score is always one of my all-time favorites though.

Chariots of Fire (1981) - Pretty good; not sure what else to say about it.

Field of Dreams (1989) - It's manipulative, schmaltzy, and theologically a mess, but its final moments sure managed to put a lump in my throat.

Not A Mallard
11 hours ago, Not A Mallard said:

Field of Dreams (1989) - It's manipulative, schmaltzy, and theologically a mess, but its final moments sure managed to put a lump in my throat.

Just read this article; I may rethink the "theologically a mess" part

https://georgiabulletin.org/commentary/2017/05/field-dreams-shines-light-faith/

"Che" - Two part biopic about the Cuban revolution and Benicio Del Toro as Che Guevara. Pretty good, still have to watch part 2.

Not A Mallard

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005) - aka, revenge of the Battle Front II & action figure-shopping nostalgia (I remember being convinced until the movie was released that General Grievous was a good guy because his action figure had a blue lightsaber).

Edited by Not A Mallard

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
1954 G
Rated G

Set on a ranch in the Oregon Territory, this rousing musical tells the story of Adam (Howard Keel) and his six unruly brothers. 

Adam marries Milly (Jane Powell), who's appalled by the motley crew and takes it upon herself to tame them. Longing to become husbands like their brother, the boys go into town and kidnap six women for themselves. 

The boys eventually marry the six hostages via a shotgun wedding.  

Not A Mallard

Justice League (2017) - Another generic, disposably entertaining superhero movie.

Sunset Boulevard (1950) - First viewing; fantastic.