An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies You Have Watched Recently

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

Oremus Pro Invicem

John Wick: Action was great, lots of Gun Fu. Didn't care for the GDs.

Fury: A Great War movie but it had more GDs than I could count.

Big Hero Six: I didn't mind the movie. It's a good family movie. I was expecting a little more from the creator of Wreck It Ralph.

Rose Water: An excellent movie that really made me think about the struggles of those in Iran. My heart goes out to them. I think Jon Stewart did a great job. Also did not care for the GDs.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day: Surprisingly funny. I really enjoyed this movie.

PhuturePriest

I've heard nothing but good about Kingsman. It doesn't hurt that it has Colin Firth, who has solidified himself as my favorite actor after his role in The King's Speech.

Not A Mallard

I've heard nothing but good about Kingsman. It doesn't hurt that it has Colin Firth, who has solidified himself as my favorite actor after his role in The King's Speech.

The Kingsman's Speech?

He did an excellent job in Kingsman.

Not A Mallard

I just watched The Wizard of Oz for the first time in over ten years. It reminded me of my childhood...in more than one way. It has the farm-bound protagonist who wants to break free from home reminiscent to Star Wars; the world of pure imagination inhabited by short people reminiscent to Willy Wonka; and the anthropomorphic trees (and more) reminiscent to Lord of the Rings. ...Actually, since the Wizard of Oz novel and movie came before all these other novels and movies, it's the other way around.

Fury: A Great War movie but it had more GDs than I could count.

Fury was a half-hearted attempt at being both Inglourious Basterds-like funny and Saving Private Ryan-like dramatic. Fail. 

Not The Philosopher

I saw Jupiter Ascending this evening. Thought it was pretty good (the critics, evidently, disagree with me). It arguably even has a subtle pro life message as well.

Not A Mallard

Star Trek (2009) - It doesn't feel like a two-hour-long movie trailer like its sequel does, but the script has a few gaping holes, including the fact that Captain Kirk is actually promoted to captain, and I'm not a fan of J.J. Abrams's flashy visual style. I hope he tones down for The Force Awakens.

"The Making of a Lady" - only just found out it is an adaptation of a book.  I liked it in the, wow, it hit all the interesting gothic, colonial highlights possible way.  I'll probably watch it again.

• 2 weeks later...