An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies You Have Watched Recently

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

HopefulHeart

Barabbas (1961). It was about what happens to Barabbas after he is freed instead of Jesus and how he ultimately becomes a Christian. It was an engrossing movie, though not quite as good as Ben Hur.

truthfinder

She's the Man. First time I've watched the whole thing. I'll stick to  the Helena Bonham Carter/Toby Stephens Twelfth Night if I need some Shakespearian goodness. 

Not A Mallard

The Terminator

First time watching. I liked it. It's definitely not a movie for everyone; there's a lot of harsh violence in addition to other questionable material, but the protagonists are likable, normal people, and the plot is suspenseful. Even amid the carnage, it was ultimately about the value of human life. I'm looking forward to seeing T2 in it entirety (I saw around the first half of it on TV once).

Not A Mallard

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Well, it goes to show that bigger doesn't always mean better. There are a few touching moments and a little bit of commentary on the human condition and less gratuitous sexual content, but the human interest is mostly drowned out by more cynical mayhem, more brutal violence, and less likable characters. It's basically an excuse to show-off cool, groundbreaking special effects. The first once has a better balance of character development and action.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Arranged

This is a lovely, quiet, respectful film from 2007 about two young women in their early 20's who teach at a public school in Brooklyn, NY. Rochel is from an Orthodox Jewish family and Nasira is from a devout Muslim family. They become friends and find they have much in common, particularly after they learn that they are both going through the process of having an arranged marriage. I enjoyed the film a great deal for many reasons, not the least of which is that I learned a lot about what life is like in today's world for young people who are part of these two very different, but equally devout cultures. I saw this film on Netflix--no idea if it is available elsewhere.

To the best of my recollection there is no swearing, violence, sex (even discussion about sex), or anything that an adult viewer might find offensive. There is nothing that would be inappropriate for young people, but I also suspect that younger teens and below might not find the themes or the pace of the film particularly interesting.

I loved the film, and watched it twice.

truthfinder

Arranged

This is a lovely, quiet, respectful film from 2007 about two young women in their early 20's who teach at a public school in Brooklyn, NY. Rochel is from an Orthodox Jewish family and Nasira is from a devout Muslim family. They become friends and find they have much in common, particularly after they learn that they are both going through the process of having an arranged marriage. I enjoyed the film a great deal for many reasons, not the least of which is that I learned a lot about what life is like in today's world for young people who are part of these two very different, but equally devout cultures. I saw this film on Netflix--no idea if it is available elsewhere.

To the best of my recollection there is no swearing, violence, sex (even discussion about sex), or anything that an adult viewer might find offensive. There is nothing that would be inappropriate for young people, but I also suspect that younger teens and below might not find the themes or the pace of the film particularly interesting.

I loved the film, and watched it twice.

​Iggy, in the same vein, you might like Fill the Void (I know it's on Canadian Netflix).

I've watched Love with the Proper Stranger - definitely not what I was expecting for a movie with Steve McQueen, and I'll be watching it again.

Not A Mallard

Now that I've binged on all the Terminator movies, I'm probably in the minority for saying that the highly regarded T2 was my least favorite.

AccountDeleted

Now that I've binged on all the Terminator movies, I'm probably in the minority for saying that the highly regarded T2 was my least favorite.

​I'm not sure I had a favorite, but I did prefer the ones where the T was a good guy rather than a bad guy.

Not A Mallard

​I'm not sure I had a favorite, but I did prefer the ones where the T was a good guy rather than a bad guy.

​I just found the second one violent to the point of sadism. The first one is also violent, but at least most of the mayhem there is caused by the bad guy.

AccountDeleted

I watched The Man Who Never Was. It was a 1955 film starring Clifton Webb.True story of a British attempt to trick the enemy into weakening Sicily's defenses before the 1943 attack, using a dead man with faked papers. It was interesting to watch a film with no computers or TVs or cell phones and with big black dial telephones and morse code  etc. It was in color, which was a surprise for me. I enjoyed the slow pace and of course, I love old British films anyway.

The_Man_Who_Never_Was.jpg

Not A Mallard

The Passion of the Christ

It certainly gave me food for thought about Christ's suffering to redeem me.

AccountDeleted

The Passion of the Christ

It certainly gave me food for thought about Christ's suffering to redeem me.

​This is a film that I can only watch once in awhile because it is so graphic and realistic that it upsets me. You are right in that it certainly drives home the message of what He suffered for us, but it also pains me to watch Him suffer like that. I couldn't watch it this year.

AccountDeleted

Veronika Decides to Die (2014)  Michelle Gellar, David Thewlis, Jonathan Tucker)

Though she has it all, Veronika feels she's experienced everything life has to offer and wants to die. But her suicide attempt fails and she wakes in a mental hospital  with a weakened heart and only days to live. Under the supervision of an unorthodox psychiatrist who specializes in controversial treatment, Veronika discovers a new world and wants to live again.

MV5BMTQzNTk4NTUwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODE0

Nihil Obstat

I watched that new documentary of Scientology. Nothing that was truly groundbreaking - I remember reading most of that around ten years ago in a Rolling Stone feature - but the perspective mainly from former members was very worthwhile.