An Old School Catholic Message Board

Let's Talk Dominicans!

DiscerningCatholic

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1351125469' post='2497234']
I know those guys!!!!! :) And I think the gentlemen, at least, call them 'cappas'
[/quote]

I've heard Dominican Sisters also call them "cappas." But, I admit, I get confused about what each part of the habit is called. And, like so many other things, it varies by Order and Community.

Exactly, Ignatius. (good to see you around, btw!)

The Carmelites call them 'mantles'... not sure what the Franciscans call them (Emma, do you know?)

Some call them Choir Capes (I think) or Choir Robes

The Benedictines have ones with giant sleeves (like a snuggy!) and call them cowls....

I guess it is like different languages for basically the same thing?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1351128756' post='2497279']
I will tell you, though... at 5'4"... I feel like a midget around some of those friars....
[/quote]

I'm 5'4 as well. I don't think it's that short, though. People say it is, but in reality I'm not much shorter than a lot of the people I know who are "normal" height.

And let's not talk about Dominicans. Benedictines are better.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351275987' post='2498023']
I'm 5'4 as well. I don't think it's that short, though. People say it is, but in reality I'm not much shorter than a lot of the people I know who are "normal" height.

[/quote]

Correct me if I have this wrong, but aren't you in your teens? It seems as if a lot of guys reach their full height later than women do, sometimes even through their early 20's.

I went to my high school reunion and didn't recognize one of my classmates, because, in high school, he was about 5'3", but by the time of the reunion, he'd grown to over 6 feet!

On an unrelated topic, I'm going to continue talking about Dominicans, because Dominicans rock! (As do Benedictines!)

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

PhuturePriest

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1351276444' post='2498027']
Correct me if I have this wrong, but aren't you in your teens? It seems as if a lot of guys reach their full height later than women do, sometimes even through their early 20's.

I went to my high school reunion and didn't recognize one of my classmates, because, in high school, he was about 5'3", but by the time of the reunion, he'd grown to over 6 feet!

On an unrelated topic, I'm going to continue talking about Dominicans, because Dominicans rock! (As do Benedictines!)
[/quote]

I am sixteen, yes. But I have never once had a growth spurt. It's always been very gradual and slow for me, and where I'm from by this time I should be at least 5'7.

DS, we won't let Miles steal your thread ;)

Miles -- be careful what you ask for -- my Dad grew about 12 inches one summer (after having a bunch of impacted wisdom teeth removed.) He said he would have preferred to stay shorter....

One of the things that is interesting about the Dominican Friars is that they have their novices do their novitiate IN PARISHES. That is so they get the experience of what it is like to try to balance work and prayer right at the start. Kind of like wht Mother Teresa does with her novices -- she said they HAD to have opportunities to do the work of their community or they couldn't know if they had the vocation.

Every other community I know of has a very strict separation of the novices from 'real world' ministry opportunities. Interesting. I even think the Dominican Sisters do it that way -- Iggy, do you know whether Sr. Mary Catherine in England -- former VSer Laeticia Crucis (SP?) -- is doing a totally spiritual novitiate, or if she has any outside ministries? And how is she doing -- I know you correspond with her....

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351275987' post='2498023']
[/quote]

:like:

PhuturePriest

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1351279796' post='2498050']

Miles -- be careful what you ask for -- my Dad grew about 12 inches one summer (after having a bunch of impacted wisdom teeth removed.) He said he would have preferred to stay shorter....

One of the things that is interesting about the Dominican Friars is that they have their novices do their novitiate IN PARISHES. That is so they get the experience of what it is like to try to balance work and prayer right at the start. Kind of like wht Mother Teresa does with her novices -- she said they HAD to have opportunities to do the work of their community or they couldn't know if they had the vocation.

Every other community I know of has a very strict separation of the novices from 'real world' ministry opportunities. Interesting. I even think the Dominican Sisters do it that way -- Iggy, do you know whether Sr. Mary Catherine in England -- former VSer Laeticia Crucis (SP?) -- is doing a totally spiritual novitiate, or if she has any outside ministries? And how is she doing -- I know you correspond with her....
[/quote]

I don't want to be really tall. Being short is fine with me.

And I'll steal whatever I want, thank you. ;)

DiscerningCatholic

Don't make me hit you again. :P

And 5'4" isn't short. Maybe compared to some of the guys I know (but anything less than 6 feet is short compared to them), but height really doesn't matter.

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1351282528' post='2498083']

<_<
[/quote]

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Medalla_San_Benito.PNG/200px-Medalla_San_Benito.PNG[/img]

The three of you will make your confessors' lives interesting this week......

Baiting each other!

Kind of remind me of....

[color=#F0FFF0]............. :crazyshoot: [/color]

DiscerningCatholic

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcfavkGsB41qiu3jko1_500.jpg[/img]

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcfahkDL6d1qiu3jko1_1280.jpg[/img]

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcfadfLxpN1qiu3jko1_500.jpg[/img]

My sisters play basketball. Your argument is invalid.

[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcfa8aAfCc1qiu3jko1_400.jpg[/img]

I know her!

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcfa4grM9U1qiu3jko1_500.jpg[/img]