An Old School Catholic Message Board

Men In Habits Picture Thread #2

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Hurrah for Clear Creek!

Oh, and I'm off to Rome tomorrow to fill a spare staff place on a school trip. Only 24 hours' notice!

It must have been quite the sacrifice to accept a trip to Rome. I personally would have had to think long and hard before deciding. :P

Mary+Immaculate<3

Have any of you seen the documentary about the Benedictines in England that BBC made? It's got some cussing but I was pleased by the quality and accuracy of it, BBC is a generally satisfactory source. I think it's called The Abbey or The Monastery.

PhuturePriest

Have any of you seen the documentary about the Benedictines in England that BBC made? It's got some cussing but I was pleased by the quality and accuracy of it, BBC is a generally satisfactory source. I think it's called The Abbey or The Monastery.

I have not. I will look it up now that you've mentioned it, though.

I really liked The Monastery... but give it some time.  I also really liked the companion book by Fr. Christopher Jamison, OSB, who was the abbot and one of the principle presenters for the series.

My Secular Order members ALSO enjoyed the book, and several found it very helpful to them as they strove to integrate a life of prayer into their lives as laypeople ...

Mary+Immaculate<3

I really liked The Monastery... but give it some time.  I also really liked the companion book by Fr. Christopher Jamison, OSB, who was the abbot and one of the principle presenters for the series.

My Secular Order members ALSO enjoyed the book, and several found it very helpful to them as they strove to integrate a life of prayer into their lives as laypeople ...

Whoops, I didn't give it very much time. I kinda mighta happened to have watched it all on one weekend between late Friday night and getting up on Saturday and watching the rest. What can I say, monastic life fascinates me. And I watched the reunion episode.

PhuturePriest

Whoops, I didn't give it very much time. I kinda mighta happened to have watched it all on one weekend between late Friday night and getting up on Saturday and watching the rest. What can I say, monastic life fascinates me. And I watched the reunion episode.

Am I the only one obsessed with the BBC? It's like everything they do is 100x better because of their accents.

If there is interest in discussing The Monastery, how about we give it its' own thread? 

Because 1) this is a picture thread for the Men in Habits.... and wouldn't it be nice to have a thread for 'BBC's The Monastery 2005' or some such thing?

Not a problem for me, Emily -- I would LOVE to discuss The Monastery with you all!!!

I don't think that is a Trappist... no white robes, black scapular.  But I'm not sure WHAT he is!  Anyone have any ideas? 

He's not a Carthusian.....

???

Yeah, that's what I thought - Trappists are usually white with a black scapular. It was labelled as Trappist when I found it (can't remember where) though so that's what I put.

Edit: Maybe a Franciscan of some sort? They're sometimes grey I think. 

Edited by EmilyAnn

Mary+Immaculate<3

Am I the only one obsessed with the BBC? It's like everything they do is 100x better because of their accents.

I agree, my friends are of the same opinion, their accents and producers are somehow superior. Anyhow, I digress from the purpose of this thread, and I apologize. I mentioned The Monastery in this thread because I figured it was a "moving picture," maybe I'm too old fashioned :p
Yes, how's abouts I makes us a Monastery thread.

PhuturePriest

Yeah, that's what I thought - Trappists are usually white with a black scapular. It was labelled as Trappist when I found it (can't remember where) though so that's what I put.

Edit: Maybe a Franciscan of some sort? They're sometimes grey I think.

Franciscans do sometimes wear grey, yes. However, that religious has no cord around his waist, meaning he is not a Franciscan. Edited by FuturePriest387