An Old School Catholic Message Board

Easy Costumes For All Saints

beatitude

My parish is having a party for All Saints' Day where you have to come dressed as a saint. I didn't find out it was a costume party until this morning and I don't have time to dream up anything elaborate. Any ideas? Right now I think St Clare might be the easiest to replicate. I don't have anything brown to pass as a habit, but I have a black scarf and I'm sure I could create something resembling a wimple. Then I would just need some gold and white card to create the monstrance that she's often depicted with.

There's a thread over in VS about easy to make nun costumes: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/124881-easy-nun-costume/

Easiest possible St. Clare type wimple --

Take two white dish cloths or pillow cases.

Put one around your forehead and safety pin in the back. Let extra fabric hang down your back.

Take the second one, put it under your chin and pass it up, over your ears, and safety pin to the TOP of the first one. Put a black veil over the whole thing, and you are set!!!!

You are absolutely right about the monstrance. :)

That should set you up just fine!

I've gone as saints a couple of times for Halloween. One year, I turned a costume which was meant to be a costume for the Greek Goddess Athena into a St. Philomena dress. Then, my mom pinned a crown of plastic lilies around my head since she was a princess and a virgin martyr. Another year, I took a princess outfit and went as St. Elizabeth of Hungary since she was a queen.