An Old School Catholic Message Board

Patron Saints 2013

Lil Red

A Yearning Heart

This thread started months ago! (way to be organised...)

Pick one for me please-the Holy Spirit knows :)

Could I possibly get one for me and one for my fiance?

you received St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, your fiance received Bl. Junipero Serra :)

Pick one out for me plz

St. Cajetan. :)

I second this! :)

Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. :)

This thread started months ago! (way to be organised...)

Pick one for me please-the Holy Spirit knows :)

St. Bartholomew :)

Is it too late for me to get one? My intention is the prayer of my heart. Jesus knows. Thank you!

St. Pio of Pietrelcina :)

Catholicterp7

Could I please have one for myself and one for a friend? Thanks for doing this!

JMJ+ :heart:

Edited by Catholicterp7

Week 1.

The only scholarly book that I could find on my saint is a heavy hardcover, so I finally downloaded the Kindle app.

How are y'all doing?

Debra Little
The new year of the Church is starting soon, so it's time for new patron saints!

This is a beautiful Catholic devotion. Basically the idea is that I put together saints names in a basket, and draw one for anyone who wants one, after praying over the basket with your name and intentions in mind. Please, pass this onto anyone who you think would like a saint picked for them. Here's a little more on this devotion:

Religious orders, both male and female, particularly in the 1800's and early 1900's got into the habit of drawing a saint's name at the close of each year, and that saint would be their "patron" for the coming year. St. Faustina writes about this in her diary, but it was not an unusual practice at all. The saying is, "you don't choose the saint, the saint chooses you - that in the realm of the Eternal, they know better than you what your needs for the coming year will be, and so they "choose" to be with you, through it. But the point is to not simply pull the saint but then develop a bit of a relationship with him/her -ie, learn about them, include them in your prayers, ask them to pray for you, and (when praying) to join you in prayer -that sort of thing.

“There is a custom among us of drawing by lot, on New Year's Day, special Patrons for ourselves for the whole year. In the morning during meditation, there arose within me a secret desire that the Eucharistic Jesus be my special Patron for this year also, as in the past. But, hiding this desire from my Beloved, I spoke to Him about everything else but that. When we came to refectory for breakfast, we blessed ourselves and began drawing our patrons. When I approached the holy cards on which the names of the patrons were written, without hesitation I took one, but I didn't read the name immediately as I wanted to mortify myself for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my soul: ‘I am your patron. Read.’ I looked at once at the inscription and read, ‘Patron for the Year 1935 - the Most Blessed Eucharist.’ My heart leapt with joy, and I slipped quietly away from the sisters and went for a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament, where I poured out my heart. But Jesus sweetly admonished me that I should be at that moment together with the sisters. I went immediately in obedience to the rule.” (Excerpt from Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina)

If you would like a saint, message me with your name (screenname is fine) or if you are comfortable, post here. please tell me a little of yourself or your intentions (if i don't already know you): student? discerning? oldest/youngest sibling? any worries about the coming year? etc.... or nothing if you're not comfortable sharing anything. the Holy Spirit will know. :)

I'll be drawing this coming week (pending going to Confession & Mass), and for as long as needed.

Hey go for it.  St. Therese and St. Michael are my favorites but it will be interesting to see who you pick.  I never got a saints name at confirmation.

Erin Kathleen Holmes

My prayer intentions are for Trinity Hills and FOCUS and for the Lund Molfese family (all the work we do for the church and for the greater Glory of God) and my family specifically that the fighting and drama stops and that we have peace.That I may have success as a FOCUS digital campus missionary and promoting Trinity Hills to 132 Newman Centers in 15 states. Also all the prayer intentions in the quiet of my heart.Holy Spirit come!

The new year of the Church is starting soon, so it's time for new patron saints!

This is a beautiful Catholic devotion. Basically the idea is that I put together saints names in a basket, and draw one for anyone who wants one, after praying over the basket with your name and intentions in mind. Please, pass this onto anyone who you think would like a saint picked for them. Here's a little more on this devotion:

Religious orders, both male and female, particularly in the 1800's and early 1900's got into the habit of drawing a saint's name at the close of each year, and that saint would be their "patron" for the coming year. St. Faustina writes about this in her diary, but it was not an unusual practice at all. The saying is, "you don't choose the saint, the saint chooses you - that in the realm of the Eternal, they know better than you what your needs for the coming year will be, and so they "choose" to be with you, through it. But the point is to not simply pull the saint but then develop a bit of a relationship with him/her -ie, learn about them, include them in your prayers, ask them to pray for you, and (when praying) to join you in prayer -that sort of thing.

“There is a custom among us of drawing by lot, on New Year's Day, special Patrons for ourselves for the whole year. In the morning during meditation, there arose within me a secret desire that the Eucharistic Jesus be my special Patron for this year also, as in the past. But, hiding this desire from my Beloved, I spoke to Him about everything else but that. When we came to refectory for breakfast, we blessed ourselves and began drawing our patrons. When I approached the holy cards on which the names of the patrons were written, without hesitation I took one, but I didn't read the name immediately as I wanted to mortify myself for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my soul: ‘I am your patron. Read.’ I looked at once at the inscription and read, ‘Patron for the Year 1935 - the Most Blessed Eucharist.’ My heart leapt with joy, and I slipped quietly away from the sisters and went for a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament, where I poured out my heart. But Jesus sweetly admonished me that I should be at that moment together with the sisters. I went immediately in obedience to the rule.” (Excerpt from Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina)

If you would like a saint, message me with your name (screenname is fine) or if you are comfortable, post here. please tell me a little of yourself or your intentions (if i don't already know you): student? discerning? oldest/youngest sibling? any worries about the coming year? etc.... or nothing if you're not comfortable sharing anything. the Holy Spirit will know. :)

I'll be drawing this coming week (pending going to Confession & Mass), and for as long as needed.

Hi Red,   I would love it if you would draw a Saint for me. ask the Blessed Mother, she will show you.  Thanks,

Deb