An Old School Catholic Message Board

Patron Saints 2013

Lil Red

The new year of the Church is starting soon, so it's time for new patron saints!

This is a beautiful Catholic devotion. Basically the idea is that I put together saints names in a basket, and draw one for anyone who wants one, after praying over the basket with your name and intentions in mind. Please, pass this onto anyone who you think would like a saint picked for them. Here's a little more on this devotion:

[i]Religious orders, both male and female, particularly in the 1800's and early 1900's got into the habit of drawing a saint's name at the close of each year, and that saint would be their "patron" for the coming year. St. Faustina writes about this in her diary, but it was not an unusual practice at all. The saying is, "you don't choose the saint, the saint chooses you - that in the realm of the Eternal, they know better than you what your needs for the coming year will be, and so they "choose" to be with you, through it. But the point is to not simply pull the saint but then develop a bit of a relationship with him/her -ie, learn about them, include them in your prayers, ask them to pray for you, and (when praying) to join you in prayer -that sort of thing.[/i]

[color=#4B0082]“There is a custom among us of drawing by lot, on New Year's Day, special Patrons for ourselves for the whole year. In the morning during meditation, there arose within me a secret desire that the Eucharistic Jesus be my special Patron for this year also, as in the past. But, hiding this desire from my Beloved, I spoke to Him about everything else but that. When we came to refectory for breakfast, we blessed ourselves and began drawing our patrons. When I approached the holy cards on which the names of the patrons were written, without hesitation I took one, but I didn't read the name immediately as I wanted to mortify myself for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my soul: ‘I am your patron. Read.’ I looked at once at the inscription and read, ‘Patron for the Year 1935 - the Most Blessed Eucharist.’ My heart leapt with joy, and I slipped quietly away from the sisters and went for a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament, where I poured out my heart. But Jesus sweetly admonished me that I should be at that moment together with the sisters. I went immediately in obedience to the rule.”[/color] (Excerpt from Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina)

If you would like a saint, message me with your name (screenname is fine) or if you are comfortable, post here. please tell me a little of yourself or your intentions (if i don't already know you): student? discerning? oldest/youngest sibling? any worries about the coming year? etc.... or nothing if you're not comfortable sharing anything. the Holy Spirit will know. :)

I'll be drawing this coming week (pending going to Confession & Mass), and for as long as needed.

I was literally just thinking about this yesterday!

Please draw for me. Can't hurt.

I think you know most of my hopes and intentions. This year is shaping up to be "big grownup decision time," so there are a lot of feelings surrounding that.

Thank you for doing this every year, lady. :blowkiss:

(You can also draw for Brian.)

Please choose for me. God and you know me pretty well... thank you & God reward you!

A thought -- many communities also select a VIRTUE to work on and a CONTINENT to pray for. Any interest in drawing for those? If there is, I'm open to getting out a couple of fishbowls (or perhaps Red has a few extra she can use...)

Red, if you are open to doing the drawing, I can put together a list of continents and virtues for you to chop up.....

And if you want to keep your stuff just saints, that's cool too!!!

Red,

We'll pray for you as you go Saint Plucking for us!

I started to PM you, but my PM was eaten several times. I can recognize a hint from the Holy Spirit when it is batted into my brain hard enough!

God knows me and what I need.... and there isn't anything confidential on the rest of this!

I wasn't sure if you want to include the the 'Continents to Pray For' and 'Virtues to foster this year' when you select.

If you do, here is a list -- you can decide if you want to include Antarctica or not....

Others may want to suggest other virtues!

Blessings all!!

AnneLine

[u][b][font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Continents[/color][/size][/font][/b][/u]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Africa[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Asia[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Europe[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]South America[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]North America[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Australia[/color][/size][/font]

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Antarctica [/font][/color][/size]

[i][font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font][/i]

[u][i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]VIRTUES[/font][/size][/color][/i][/u][i][color=#0070C0][size="3"] [/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Bravery[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Charity [/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Community (Concern for others before self)[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Compassion[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Courage[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Empathy[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Faith[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Fortitude[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Friendship[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Generosity[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Honesty[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Hope[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Humility [/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Integrity[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Justice[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Kindness[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Knowledge[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Loyalty [/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Meekness[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Mercy[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Modesty[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Obedience[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Patience[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Peacefulness[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Persistence[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Prayerfulness[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Purity of heart[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Rectitude[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Respectfulness[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Restraint[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Sacrifice[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Self-control[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Silence[/font][/size][/color][/i]

[i][color=#0070C0][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Simplicity[/font][/size][/color][/i]

Basilisa Marie

I remember this last year! Most [i]excellent [/i]tradition. :) I was actually wondering if it was going to be about that time of year again...

I'll message you! Thank you!