An Old School Catholic Message Board

Forget The President, What About The Marijuana?

dUSt

Up for "legalization" is a few states today. Some for medical purposes, others just straight up recreational use.

[s]Discuss[/s]. Debate.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352241747' post='2505319']
I see no good reason that marijuana should not be legalized, including for recreational use.
[/quote]
In Australia that would be fine as long as those who use it, especially smoke it. Pay a higher medicare levy than non users to cover their increased need for health care. Exception would be those who use for pain relief.

missionseeker

If you saw hasan's post on FB, then you know what I think :hehe:

In all seriousness, though I cannot support marijauna's illegality. As a farmer's daughter, I find the effect it's legalization would have on hemp quite intriguing.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1352242404' post='2505326']
In Australia that would be fine as long as those who use it, especially smoke it. Pay a higher medicare levy than non users to cover their increased need for health care. Exception would be those who use for pain relief.
[/quote]

What about personal responsibility for your own healthcare?

So the state will determine what is healthy for you and what is not and what is a justified reason and what is not?

Me no like.

It's not a big issue for me, I guess, but it IS for potheads and so that's probably the main reason why I don't want it legal. Me no like potheads.

And I say that lovingly because my brother is one.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1352244382' post='2505342']
What about personal responsibility for your own healthcare?

So the state will determine what is healthy for you and what is not and what is a justified reason and what is not?
[/quote]
[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352246034' post='2505353']
Leave that up to insurance companies in a freed market.
[/quote]
Medicare is a form of health insurance. Insurance companies base their fees on risk which is only fair. The fact that it is enforced is another issue.

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1352245523' post='2505347']
Tobacco users have way more health problems than pot smokers.
[/quote]
Most users of Marijuana smoke it. In Australia you will not get certain operations such as lung transplants if you are a smoker. Doctors devote more time to people who do not substance abuse and fair enough. If a person wishes to smoke or use Mj in spite of health warnings then that is their own business. but I don't want to subsidise them nor do I want to have difficulty getting health care in an underfunded system made worse by self abusers.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

#1 on the Federal level, ALL of the drug laws are completely 100% unconstitutional. no exceptions. There was a time in this country when we recognized we needed a constitutional amendment for prohibition, and then another one to rescind that prohibition because we realized it was a bad idea.

But anyway, these are state-level referendums which is another story, the state has every right to decide to legalize it or not. Personally I think it should be legal for the same reason St. Thomas Aquinas thought that prostitution should be legal; when they're not legal, they spew out all sorts of evil and filth into society. when they're legal, they are a free choice of a very particular individualistic sin (assuming recreational marijuana use is sinful, that's a whole other debate that would bring all sorts of fun comparisons with alcohol and wild statements trying to differentiate the two any way we can, but certainly most drugs that are illegal now would be sins, marijuana I think is a debatable area and I'm not sure where I come down on it honestly). there's a very real way in which things like this being legal but dealt with actually represents a more healthy atmosphere for society than legal repression of them does, and that goes for prostitution too but that's an entirely other can of Thomistic worms we probably should avoid. spiritual, medical, and psychological approaches to these problems like drugs are much better than legal approaches, legal approaches only make things worse for things like this.

all that said, marijuana legalization is not a very high priority issue for me, except for two aspects of it: industrial hemp should be allowed, and non-violent drug offenders should not be attacked violently by the state and imprisoned.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1352249140' post='2505368']

Medicare is a form of health insurance. Insurance companies base their fees on risk which is only fair. The fact that it is enforced is another issue.
[/quote]
Hence my caveat of freed. We do not currently have a freed system.