An Old School Catholic Message Board

Forget The President, What About The Marijuana?

dUSt

So amesome how the opinion of pot has changed here...God calls it good...I would never try to convince someone who thinks its a sin to smoke and tell them it isn't a sin...But to the believer who knows its good and God created it good there is no problem with it as long as its done in moderation...

Also its good to meditate with and pray...Just even inhaling a tiny bit...Now someone wwho didn't believe in God could turn around and use the effects to get into whichcraft or other scary stuff...But for sure there is a spirtual aspect involved with smoking that without a doubt seperates it from alcohol...

Edited by Guest

I would say smoking instantly leads into a "meditation" type state...I'm not great with words so forgive me...Alcohol is completly different though and the effects...Without a doubt the abuse of alcohol is way worse then useing to much pot....Of course abusing either are grave sins....

Edited by Guest

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1352305592' post='2505782']
On the obesity angle, many people who smoke cigarettes gain a lot weight when they quit. Should we encourage them to keep smoking?
[/quote]

No, I think they should both stop. But with all the buzz over obesity (i.e., Bloomberg bans big sodas in NYC) it might be an effective angle to take in order to campaign against legalizing marijuana. Kind of tongue-in-cheek. I like it.

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1352309540' post='2505840']
People who get married tend to gain weight after doing so. People shouldn't be discouraged on that basis.
[/quote]

Yeah, but you know how people promote NFP as "organic sex" to get in on the green/organic niche? It's like that. You know, DON'T USE MARIJUANA! YOU'LL GET, LIKE, SO FAT!

missionseeker

I think that's a poor reason to tell someone not to smoke weed. It appeals to emotions rather than reason which is never good. If PP argued that having babies makes you fat, therefore you should never have babies, there would be all sorts of outcry and "how dad they!?"s thrown around. And quite legitimately.

But if there are real health risks associated with pot, then don't you think we should use those as logical reasons not to smoke marihuana rather than scare tactics like you'll get fat or you're a bum?

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1352305592' post='2505782']
On the obesity angle, many people who smoke cigarettes gain a lot weight when they quit. Should we encourage them to keep smoking?
[/quote]
i am struggling with this...

dominicansoul

even if you are joking, it is pretty sad that people don't pay any attention to reason in these kinds of debates. Most of the time, it seems they do pay more attention to "scare tactics."

for example: you can tell a pot-smoker how terrible weed is to his body and his brain all you want, use scientific data and I will bet that he will not care as much as if you tell him, "keep smoking pot and you're gonna become a fat ugly slob.."

...Oh wait a minute, the guy is smoking pot, what does he care about anything?? :smile3:

missionseeker

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1352314074' post='2505887']

i am struggling with this...
[/quote]

I know ppl who won't quit because they gain weight when they do. I think it's sad.

On the other hand, I watch my grandmother of emphesyma from smoking. She weighed about 80 pounds.

I think that even if you gain weight there are things that can help you feel better. Exercise, the way you eat. I bet being able to breathe is a plus. It's about choices. Just because you smoked doesn't mean you have to just eat and eat because you can taste it all now.

Idk. I'm not claiming to have answers, I'm just trying to point out logical failures in the line of thinking that telling people they'll become fat opens up.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1352300832' post='2505724']
Doesn't the adverse side effects of pot smoking go against all this overt operation to battle obesity.
[/quote]

Strangely, I usually end up over-eating more often under the effects of alcohol...