An Old School Catholic Message Board

Forget The President, What About The Marijuana?

dUSt

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1352315230' post='2505900']

Strangely, I usually end up over-eating more often under the effects of alcohol...
[/quote]
I usually over-eat when I drink my dinner.

I would be seriously hesitant about considering use of marijuana, or any broadly mind-altering substance as an aid in meditation. That is striking me as much too close to pagan shamanistic meditation that is not based in God, but rather in oneself.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352316644' post='2505908']
I would be seriously hesitant about considering use of marijuana, or any broadly mind-altering substance as an aid in meditation. That is striking me as much too close to pagan shamanistic meditation that is not based in God, but rather in oneself.
[/quote]Then what is the point of getting high?

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1352312545' post='2505873']
I think that's a poor reason to tell someone not to smoke weed. It appeals to emotions rather than reason which is never good. If PP argued that having babies makes you fat, therefore you should never have babies, there would be all sorts of outcry and "how dad they!?"s thrown around. And quite legitimately.

But if there are real health risks associated with pot, then don't you think we should use those as logical reasons not to smoke marihuana rather than scare tactics like you'll get fat or you're a bum?
[/quote]
Chill and light up. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/bad_boys_20.gif[/img] It was not meant to be a serious argument.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1352316857' post='2505913']
Then what is the point of getting high?
[/quote]
What I mean is that it would be a bad idea to try to use marijuana in a religious way, to try to gain a spiritual experience. I think that would be dangerous, spiritually speaking. I do not believe, necessarily, that using marijuana for its mind altering effects, is immoral. Again, not necessarily immoral, though it could be, and would be if used in excess. Like alcohol.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352317008' post='2505915']
What I mean is that it would be a bad idea to try to use marijuana in a religious way, to try to gain a spiritual experience. I think that would be dangerous, spiritually speaking. I do not believe, necessarily, that using marijuana for its mind altering effects, is immoral. Again, not necessarily immoral, though it could be, and would be if used in excess. Like alcohol.
[/quote]
Excellent reason to legalize it. Society needs more options for mind alteration. Nothing immoral about that!

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1352317195' post='2505917']
Excellent reason to legalize it. Society needs more options for mind alteration. Nothing immoral about that!
[/quote]
I have yet to hear a valid argument against marijuana that did not apply just as well, if not better, to alcohol. I do not think it is the government's place to get involved.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352317324' post='2505919']
I have yet to hear a valid argument against marijuana that did not apply just as well, if not better, to alcohol. I do not think it is the government's place to get involved.
[/quote]
Society has incorporated the alcohol for millennia and people still has problems. What overriding impetus of need is there to add another drug to tune out without the thousands of years enculturation?

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1352317865' post='2505921']
Society has incorporated the alcohol for millennia and people still has problems. What overriding impetus of need is there to add another drug to tune out without the thousands of years enculturation?
[/quote]
Marijuana has been around for a pretty long time too, and has a pretty solid tradition of use in several different cultures.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352318121' post='2505924']
Marijuana has been around for a pretty long time too, and has a pretty solid tradition of use in several different cultures.
[/quote]
Marijuana use does not even approach the broad use of alcohol in number of cultures or length of history.

So what's the cultural/societal NEED to balance real and potential negatives of abuse?

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1352319246' post='2505929']
Marijuana use does not even approach the broad use of alcohol in number of cultures or length of history.
[/quote]

Perhaps. But it is a difference of degree, not of kind.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1352319246' post='2505929']
So what's the cultural/societal NEED to balance real and potential negatives of abuse?
[/quote]

I do not understand what you are asking.

PhuturePriest

I'm not sure how I feel about pot. I feel like I need to get to know pot more before I make a judgement on pot.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352319293' post='2505930']

Perhaps. But it is a difference of degree, not of kind.
[/quote]exactly my point.

[quote]
I do not understand what you are asking.
[/quote]As I expected.

erowid.org ^

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1352300883' post='2505725']

No more than prohibition put booze makers out of business. [/quote]

um, Ed, that is exactly what happened. pay attention.

people who ran speakeasies and backyard moonshine business and smuggling liquor all fell by the wayside. and so will the cartels. they will be replaced by people who operate within the confines of the law, ie no killing each other, or lacing drugs.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1352319978' post='2505937']
exactly my point.

As I expected.
[/quote]

I am not a stupid person. Are you being intentionally obtuse or what? Why do we not actually discuss this issue, instead of you trying just making snide comments?
If you are not planning on actually discussing this subject, then you and I are both wasting our time.