Bidden As The top dog?? lolZ

#5 The Phetus

The Phetus

A dead body changes things.

• Church Militant
  • 12,553 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

Biden running for president? He would start World War III by accidentally cursing at foreign leaders when trying to greet them in their language.

#6 Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Church Militant
  • 30,424 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Biden running for president? He would start World War III by accidentally cursing at foreign leaders when trying to greet them in their language.

You think he would actually make the effort to greet them in their own language? He would curse them in good old American. If it is good enough for America, it is good enough for them darn it!

#7 The Phetus

The Phetus

• Church Militant
  • 12,553 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

You think he would actually make the effort to greet them in their own language? He would curse them in good old American. If it is good enough for America, it is good enough for them darn it!

Ronald Reagan tried to greet Germans when he was president. He mispronounced one part of the word, and instead of a greeting it translated into "I like jelly doughnuts." That's a true story. Look it up.

#8 Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Church Militant
  • 30,424 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

Ronald Reagan tried to greet Germans when he was president. He mispronounced one part of the word, and instead of a greeting it translated into "I like jelly doughnuts." That's a true story. Look it up.

I have read before that that story in particular is badly misinterpreted by amateur linguists. I will try to find the article I am thinking of.

#9 The Phetus

The Phetus

• Church Militant
  • 12,553 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

I have read before that that story in particular is badly misinterpreted by amateur linguists. I will try to find the article I am thinking of.

I am an anarchist, so I will defy what you say no matter what.

#10 Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Church Militant
  • 30,424 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

Here is my preliminary results:

Number one, I think you were thinking of JFK when he said "Ich bin ein Berliner."
The 'typical' story goes like this:

John F. Kennedy's famous words "Ich bin ein Berliner" created confused reactions among his German audience. What he meant, of course, was "I am a citizen of Berlin". What he actually said came closer to "I am a doughnut". Because the translation followed the English construction word for word, it included the article "ein" for "a". "Ein berliner," in German, is a type of cruller - a flat doughnut.

Here is a Snopes entry that debunks the common narrative:
http://www.snopes.co...te/berliner.asp
Apparently the speech was translated and edited by a native Berliner, who presumably would have known about such a simple misunderstanding.

#11 Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Church Militant
  • 30,424 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

Further support:

As German professor Reinhold Aman stated about this:

“Ich bin ein Berliner means ‘I am a Berliner’ or ‘a male person/native of Berlin’ and absolutely nothing else! … No intelligent native speaker of German tittered in Berlin when J.F.K. spoke, just as no native speaker of German, or one who does know this language, would titter if someone said, ‘Ich bin ein Wiener’, or Hamburger or Frankfurter.”

Yet another linguist, Jürgen Eichhoff, in his paper covering the misconception stated, “‘Ich bin ein Berliner’ is not only correct, but the one and only correct way of expressing in German what the President intended to say.”

Read more at http://www.todayifou...UutyUFwY1Xxk.99

#12 eagle_eye222001

eagle_eye222001

Captain of the Guard

• Church Militant
  • 11,751 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Ron Paul 2016.

RAND PAUL 2016! ;)

:crusader2:

#13 The Phetus

The Phetus

• Church Militant
  • 12,553 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

Further support:

As German professor Reinhold Aman stated about this:

“Ich bin ein Berliner means ‘I am a Berliner’ or ‘a male person/native of Berlin’ and absolutely nothing else! … No intelligent native speaker of German tittered in Berlin when J.F.K. spoke, just as no native speaker of German, or one who does know this language, would titter if someone said, ‘Ich bin ein Wiener’, or Hamburger or Frankfurter.”

Yet another linguist, Jürgen Eichhoff, in his paper covering the misconception stated, “‘Ich bin ein Berliner’ is not only correct, but the one and only correct way of expressing in German what the President intended to say.”

Read more at http://www.todayifou...UutyUFwY1Xxk.99

Overruled.

#14 Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Church Militant
  • 30,424 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

Your insistence on using the crappy version of that song undermines an otherwise airtight argument. :|

#15 The Phetus

The Phetus

• Church Militant
  • 12,553 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

Your insistence on using the crappy version of that song undermines an otherwise airtight argument. :|

I'm sorry, I don't like the Sex Pistols. Motley Crue is better.

#16 Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Church Militant
  • 30,424 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

I'm sorry, I don't like the Sex Pistols. Motley Crue is better.

Nobody is perfect. :console:

#17 Aloysius

Aloysius

it is a Divine purpose that rules and not fate.

• Mediator of Meh
  • 22,470 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

I'm most likely to throw my support behind Rand Paul in 2016 assuming he continues to do the good work in the Senate that he has been doing. This is the field of Republican Primary candidates that I foresee stepping up in four years:

Rand Paul
Paul Ryan (maybe, being part of a losing team in a general election is sometimes a killer, but he's probably still alive if he wants to throw his hat in)
Rick Santorum
Bobby Jindal
Marco Rubio
Probably a couple people I have not heard of yet.

I don't know who is poised to step in for the Democrats... I just don't see Biden being their guy to follow Barack, and I think Hillary might be a bit tired of it all, maybe we'll see both parties have wide fields from the start.

#18 The Phetus

The Phetus

• Church Militant
  • 12,553 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

Nobody is perfect. :console:

There's a reason Motley Crue is still famous and the Sex Pistols are long gone. Namely Vince Neil getting a singing teacher after the first few albums. After that his vocals got much better.

#19 CatherineM

CatherineM

New Mom in Training

• Church Scholar
  • 24,330 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

I think it is going to be Obama again in 2016. I think he is going to repeal the 22nd amendment and become a dictator by 2020.

#20 GeorgiiMichael

GeorgiiMichael

PM Super Alien

• n00b
  • 789 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

I can see Clinton running and getting the party nomination. She's killed it as Sec of State (in a good way, at least until that Benghazi disaster, oh croutons, that pun is COMPLETELY unintentional). There's no way they'd let Biden get anywhere closer to the Oval Office than he is now. He's the last thing the Democrats need in the White House. In fact, I think the Dems did with him what the GOP did with Teddy Roosevelt way back when. Fortunately for the Dems, Obama wasn't assassinated like McKinley. The only other name I've heard from the Democrat side is Martin O'Malley, the Maryland governor. He's a big party hero after all the referendums that he wanted passed were passed, including gay marriage and the DREAM Act (the DREAM Act being something I actually supported).

The previously mentioned GOP field sounds about right, although I doubt Ryan will try, although Edwards did the last go around after being on the losing ticket in 2004.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users