An Old School Catholic Message Board

Regina Laudis Abbey Accepting Vocations?

Gabriela

I know I'm not supposed to be in here. I should be writing papers, but...

Does anyone know if the Regina Laudis Abbey is accepting vocations? I know they're in the middle of renovations, and they don't have a "Vocations" section on their webpage, not even an address to write to a Vocations Directress. I thought maybe some PMer is nearby and might know what's going on with them in this regard...

Would appreciate any info anyone might have.

Edited by curiousing

AccountDeleted

I recommend writing to the Abbess at...

[size=4][b][font="Verdana"]Abbey of Regina Laudis, 273 Flander Road
Bethlehem, Connecticut, 06751 U.S.A.[/font][/b][/size]

[size=4][font="Verdana"]I can't say whether they are currently accepting vocations or not but it doesn't hurt to ask, does it? Jesus tells us to ask and seek and knock. [/font][/size]

I have written to them. It's been a while and I haven't heard anything yet, which is why I'm wondering if there's anyone up there in Connecticut that might have some "insider info" on what the current policy on new vocations is at the abbey, given the renovations and the no-vocations webpage and all...

AccountDeleted

They haven't changed their website in years - and I think they just didn't include a vocations page in the beginning, for whatever reason. They aren't easy to communite with as they don't even like phone calls for guest reservations. You could trying writing again and ask for a guest reservation and say it is because you want to discern with them.they might write back and let you know if they are taking vocations and/or guests right now.

I think there might be one or two here on phatmass who live around there, so hopefully someone will post and let you know.

VeniJesuAmorMi

[quote name='curiousing' timestamp='1352696751' post='2508488']
I have written to them. It's been a while and I haven't heard anything yet, which is why I'm wondering if there's anyone up there in Connecticut that might have some "insider info" on what the current policy on new vocations is at the abbey, given the renovations and the no-vocations webpage and all...
[/quote]

I am near there, but I don't know whether or not they are taking vocations right now. I also just know about the renovations and that one of the reasons they need this done is for new vocations. If I find anything else out, I'll be sure to post it here. :)

I have heard from other discerners who write to communities (though not here) that it sometimes takes a very long time to hear back, for a number of reasons. I think this happens though for all of us who are discerning for a greater patience and trust.

I just found an article from 2011 and it said, [i]"The abbey welcomes more than prospective entrants. “It has been said that as soon as a monastery has been founded, there’s a guest room,” said Mother Margaret Georgina. Thousands visit Regina Laudis annually; guests are welcomed as though they are Christ. Regina Laudis also offers a monastic internship program (see sidebar). Men and women can apply to spend a year working alongside nuns in the areas of land stewardship, monastic arts and monastic studies. They are also invited to attend the Liturgy of the Hours. “The interns really come into the enclosure into very much of an intimacy with us,” said Mother Margaret Georgina."[/i]

[i]The monastic internship program at the Abbey of Regina Laudis is open to men and women who are 18 or older. Acceptance is discerned through a process of personal interviews and time spent at the abbey, as well as through a written application. [/i][i]Those interested in the program can get information by writing to the following address: [/i]

[i]Monastic Internship Program[/i]
[i]Abbey of Regina Laudis, O.S.B. [/i]
[i]273 Flanders Rd., [/i]
[i]Bethlehem, CT 06751[/i]

[i]Here is the webpage link: [url="http://www.osv.com/tabid/7621/itemid/7714/Nuns-spiritual-enclosure-fosters-community-life-a.aspx"]http://www.osv.com/t...ity-life-a.aspx[/url] [/i]

Its all I could find regarding anything about vocations; maybe I could have time to do more research later. I pray that you may hear something back soon enough. :)

Write to the Guest Mistress and ask for some dates to make a retreat. Try for at least a week. During your time there, you will have the opportunity to talk and work with the Sisters. At that time, you will have a better feeling for the life and for them. Then you can disclose you feel drawn to their life (if you still do) and it will progress naturally. They are big on "relationships" and the individual. They definitely take it slow! But don't give up!!!