An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Pick Your New Religious Name, What Would It Be?

Kateri89

Another name I was thinking of was Sr Maria Celeste, this was the religious name Galileo's daughter took when she became a Poor Clare.

These are all the religious names I love:

Sr. Elizabeth (St. Elizabeth of the Visitation)
Sr. Isabella (another form of Elizabeth)
Sr. Gabriel (St. Gabriel the Archangel)
Sr. Miriam (for Our Lady)
Sr. John-Paul (for the late Pope)
Sr. Jerzy (Bl. Jerzy Popieluszko)
Sr. Andrew (my favorite apostle)
Sr. Augustine (St. Augustine of Hippo)
Sr. Margaret (Bl. Margaret of Cortona)
Sr. Anne (Mother of Our Lady; my Confirmation saint -- and my mom's)

You can see how I'd have a problem choosing. :hehe2:

PhuturePriest

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1352874332' post='2509758']

Along with starting our own (imaginary) communities, nun's habits and ???
[/quote]

Shoeing men away from your Nun conversations. You can't forget about that pass time.

Emma,
If the PCC's in Roswell are like the Poor Clares in St. Louis (they both belong to the same federation) you will get to list 3 names of your choice but ultimately mother superior will choose, perhaps from your list, perhaps not. LIke you said, she prays about it so that in the end your name is "chosen" from God. :) I did not belong to the Poor Clares in St. Louis but inquired into them, visted them, etc. and was told this is how they choose names. I believe this is a Franciscan custom.

LittleWaySoul

I like the name

Sr. Chiara-Therese,

for Bl. Chiara Luce and Therese of Lisieux :love:

But you guys already know how much I love them :smile3:

I also like the name "Miriam" as a form of "Mary," but I haven't really thought about anything other than Chiara-Therese I suppose :blush:

Maybe this will be something for me to daydream about when I don't feel like doing anything else in the future ;)

[quote name='ACS67' timestamp='1353189051' post='2511981']
Emma,
If the PCC's in Roswell are like the Poor Clares in St. Louis (they both belong to the same federation) you will get to list 3 names of your choice but ultimately mother superior will choose, perhaps from your list, perhaps not. LIke you said, she prays about it so that in the end your name is "chosen" from God. :) I did not belong to the Poor Clares in St. Louis but inquired into them, visted them, etc. and was told this is how they choose names. I believe this is a Franciscan custom.
[/quote]

Thanks ACS67! Darn, I forgot to ask the Sisters when I was at the Monastery. I'll find out eventually for sure-if it's a Franciscan custom, though, then I am sure that's how they do it. I wonder if I could submit a list that read: 1. Mary _____, 2. Marie ______, 3. Maria _________? :P

I am just the type of person that would put way too much thought and effort into the names I put down and therefore grow way too attached to them..and I also know that, stemming from that, if Mother chose a name I had not put down my first reaction would probably be, "Why didn't she choose one of the names I slaved over/asked for/was slightly obsessed with?" no matter how much I tried to incline myself not to feel that way. Oh well, what will happen will happen!

Edited by emmaberry101

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1353254571' post='2512344']
Bl. Chiara Therese, O.P.

:like:
[/quote]
Aww you put "Bl." in front of it :love: I'm flattered :)