An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Pick Your New Religious Name, What Would It Be?

Kateri89

MissScripture

[quote name='ACS67' timestamp='1353189051' post='2511981']
Emma,
If the PCC's in Roswell are like the Poor Clares in St. Louis (they both belong to the same federation) you will get to list 3 names of your choice but ultimately mother superior will choose, perhaps from your list, perhaps not. LIke you said, she prays about it so that in the end your name is "chosen" from God. :) I did not belong to the Poor Clares in St. Louis but inquired into them, visted them, etc. and was told this is how they choose names. I believe this is a Franciscan custom.
[/quote]
This is how my sister's name was chosen (she is Dominican). Her name was actually one she wrote down, plus an addition from Mother (or, really, the Holy Spirit).

i<3franciscans

Sr. Faustina Claire of the Child Jesus
Sr. Malia Therese of the Immaculate Heart of Mary
Sr. Sophia (<- in honor of my little sister in heaven...) Francis of Jesus

PhuturePriest

Here's my question: What do you mean "new" religious name? I'm sorry to break it to you, but none of you are religious yet. :P You don't even have a current religious name!

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1353357486' post='2513098']
Here's my question: What do you mean "new" religious name? I'm sorry to break it to you, but none of you are religious yet. :P You don't even have a current religious name!
[/quote]

:doh:

Lol not "new" implying that we already have a current religious name, but a new name once we become religious sisters. :pray:

I'm also discerning with the Servants of the Lord and Virgin of Matara and if I understand correctly they take a name in reference to Mary so if I enter their Order I would like to be Sr. Maria Immaculata :nun1:

The SSVMs have some really unusual names. If I were ever to discern with them, I'd like Sr. Maria Czestochowa since it was Bl. John Paul II's and Bl. Jerzy Popieluszko's favorite Marian image AND it is historically the image that St. Luke the Evangelist painted on a tabletop from the household of the Holy Family. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1353376339' post='2513326']
The SSVMs have some really unusual names. If I were ever to discern with them, I'd like Sr. Maria Czestochowa since it was Bl. John Paul II's and Bl. Jerzy Popieluszko's favorite Marian image AND it is historically the image that St. Luke the Evangelist painted. :)
[/quote]

I actually thought about it when I was submitting names. I always wondered how it would be shortened for a nickname. :P Also Sr. Mary Refuge of Sinners and Sr. Mary Mother of the Orphans were ones I would have submitted.

Edited by To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1353376559' post='2513328']
I actually thought about it when I was submitting names. I always wondered how it would be shortened for a nickname. Also Sr. Mary Refuge of Sinners and Sr. Mary Mother of the Orphans were ones I would have submitted.
[/quote]

It could be shortened to Sr. Zesty! :hehe2:

• 6 months later...

I think it's interesting how different communities and congregations have traditional names. The English Benedictines, for example, alongside some that you would expect (such as Anselm, Dunstan, Cuthbert etc) also have some like Sigebert and Leander!

The Norbertines have always been most populous in the Low Countries and eastern Europe, so their traditional names sound a little unusual to English Canons - Siard, Evermode, Isfrid, Hroznata and (my favourite) Blesses Dodo!

DiscerningCatholic

I had a list of 35 names... :blush: I managed to narrow it down to 25. :winner:

My name is Trini An-Therese Cecilia [last name] and I've always hated my first name...but now the name stuck in my head is "Sr. Trinity Therese!" :|

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

If I had to submit three names to the Abbot I think they would all, by pure coincidence, start with A - Anselm, Aelred and Alban.

Mary's Child

I have so many I like I think if I could choose anything I would want :

Sr. Maria Faustina of the Sorrowful Mother

Sr. Mary Rose of Our Lady of Fatima

or Sr Marie Imelda of Our Lady of Gaudalupe :)

so those are my picks but Im starting to think that I wont use any of them Im notgoing to say what I do intend to ask for :hehe:

My favorite name would be Sr. Maria Emmanuel  :love:  I am just in love with that name.  But if I couldn't have it, I definitely at least want Maria to be part of it so I would probably want either Sr. Maria Bakhita or Sr. Maria Philomena.