An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Pick Your New Religious Name, What Would It Be?

Kateri89

Okay.....enough is enough.  The PCPA "thing" has now officially gotten out of hand IMHO. What is going on here?  Every week it seems to be something/somebody else!  Stop it already, please.  Where has our respect gone?  And why is this happening with new posters to VS?  Do we have a prolonged full moon or what.........

6 hours ago, Francis Clare said:

Okay.....enough is enough.  The PCPA "thing" has now officially gotten out of hand IMHO. What is going on here?  Every week it seems to be something/somebody else!  Stop it already, please.  Where has our respect gone?  And why is this happening with new posters to VS?  Do we have a prolonged full moon or what.........

I don't post very much… But could it be the same person with different accounts?I don't post very much… Could it be the same person with different accounts?

Sr. Emil for Emil Kapaun. 

Sr. Filumena because I like the Latin and because that is what was on her tomb.

Sr. Kateri because that is my confirmation name. 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to become an Dominican sister and would love to be named Sr. Judith Beatrijs.

Judith is my present name and to honour my parents who gave it to me, I´d like to keep it. It is also a good Biblical name of course; the courage of the Biblical Judith is inspiring to me. Beatrijs or Beatrice of Silva is the patron saint of prisoners, with which I hope to work someday. Beatrice is not an OP saint, but she took refuge in the Dominican monastery in Toledo, before founding the monastic Order of the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady.

Also, Beatrijs is a medieval Marian legend from the Low Countries (I´m Dutch). Beatrijs, like nearly all Dutch literature of the Middle Ages, is the work of a Fleming. The legend tells the story of a nun, sacristan of her convent, who, overwhelmed by love, has herself abducted from the convent by a young man whom she had known from childhood. They live happily for seven years and have two children, but when money runs short, the young man deserts her. Beatrijs now has to provide for herself and her children as a ‘ghemeen wijf’, a woman of the streets. For seven years she manages to do so, faithfully praying to the Virgin Mary and reciting the Hours of the Virgin every day. Overcome by remorse she then sets out with her children, begging her way to the region of her former convent. On her arrival she is told that the sacristan is still at the convent, and in three successive visions she is urged to resume her former duties: for all those years the Virgin had been taking her place.

I have a Master´s degree in Dutch linguistics and literature, and always loved this legend when in university. For me, it resembles the struggles one can experience when being called to the religious life. And of course it shows how God and the Virgin Mary will help us, even when we make a bit of a mess of it.

Edited by DominiCanis2