An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Pick Your New Religious Name, What Would It Be?

Kateri89

Ancilla Domini

Sr. John Paul

Sr. Marie Bernadette

Sr. Maria Therese

Sr. Maria John

I really like Marie(a) for a religious name. 

Mary/Maria has always been a fixture for me, when thinking of my religious name. I love it. :love:

Mary/Maria has always been a fixture for me, when thinking of my religious name. I love it. :love:

I could list a dozen names I would love to have and every one of them would have Maria in it.  I love the name so much I chose it for my confirmation name.  I worried that I would pick a name I would end up being tired of but it's been 10 years and I still love it!

AveMariaPurissima

I know a Sister whose religious name is Sr. Mariae, which I think is really cool. :)

(For those who might not be familiar with Latin, "Mariae" is the genitive (possessive) form of "Maria," so "Mariae" would mean "Mary's")

Sr Mary Emmanuel.

My #1 favorite religious name is Sr. Maria Emmanuel!  A wonderful choice in my unbiased opinion   :hehe2:

Bro./Fr. Joseph Mary of Our Lady of Sorrows

Bro./Fr. Athanasius Mary of the Incarnation

Bro./Fr. Emmanuel Mary :dance4:

Many religious congregations (women and men) no longer give new religious names to their members when they enter the novitiate or take vows. According to members I have spoken with, this is at least partly to emphasize the significance of baptism as the primary sacrament of initiation. One person I spoke with said it also places the emphasis on the start of novitiate or vows, and not on less important symbols. [This was her explanation, not mine.]

I'm not taking a position for or against either this practice or the one of a new religious name. I'm just wondering what other people think of this. How important is the practice of a new religious name? Would it be a problem for you to enter a community that did observe this tradition? 

Many religious congregations (women and men) no longer give new religious names to their members when they enter the novitiate or take vows. According to members I have spoken with, this is at least partly to emphasize the significance of baptism as the primary sacrament of initiation. One person I spoke with said it also places the emphasis on the start of novitiate or vows, and not on less important symbols. [This was her explanation, not mine.]

I'm not taking a position for or against either this practice or the one of a new religious name. I'm just wondering what other people think of this. How important is the practice of a new religious name? Would it be a problem for you to enter a community that did observe this tradition? 

I like the practice of choosing a new name but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.  In fact, the last community I discerned with had a choice for their Sisters to use their baptismal name or choose a religious name when they entered the novitiate.  One Sister I know just recently changed from her baptismal name to a religious name on the permission of Mother General after being in final vows for a number of years.  I love my name so it wouldn't bother me to keep it.  But I just like the tradition of changing when you enter a very important vocation to symbolize detachment from the world.  It's also a Biblical tradition:

Simon was changed to Peter

Saul to Paul

Jacob to Israel

and others.  ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

ToJesusMyHeart

I am so drawn to the name Elizabeth Anne, but I found out that another sister already has that exact name! Now I'm back to square one. 

TheLordsSouljah

I am so drawn to the name Elizabeth Anne, but I found out that another sister already has that exact name! Now I'm back to square one. 

Hehe, most names I came up with were already taken by one of the sisters :P 

I love Chiara Lucy after the late Blessed Chiara Luce Badano, but that might be copying too much hehe ;)

What about Sr. Mary Elizabeth Anne?  Or just Sr. Mary Elizabeth to symbolize the Visitation?  If you want a different spelling you can use Sr. Mary Isabelle as Isabelle is the alternate form of Elizabeth.  If you wanted to go biblical, you could do Sr. Miriam Elisheba (Hebrew).  I know many versions of the name as I wanted this name for myself and wanted to know in preparation if someone had the same name already.  Hannah is alternate of Anne (my Confirmation name is Anne).  ;)

I've got a good alternate for you:

Sr. Hannah Elisheba

Edited by MaterMisericordiae