An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of Life

Kateri89

Does anyone know if the Sisters of Life are considered a Dominican order? They wear the beautiful Dominican style habit, albeit in blue and white instead of black and white but in all the time I've been discerning with them and researching the history of their order, I don't ever recall reading anything about them being Dominican. They were assisted by the Nashville Dominicans along with other orders when the community was being formed but that's the extent of what I've read. I was just curious. I seem to have an affinity for Dominican orders :)

[quote name='SrKateri' timestamp='1353633921' post='2514985']
Does anyone know if the Sisters of Life are considered a Dominican order? They wear the beautiful Dominican style habit, albeit in blue and white instead of black and white but in all the time I've been discerning with them and researching the history of their order, I don't ever recall reading anything about them being Dominican. They were assisted by the Nashville Dominicans along with other orders when the community was being formed but that's the extent of what I've read. I was just curious. I seem to have an affinity for Dominican orders :)
[/quote]

The first Superior General, Mother Agnes Mary, came from the Nashville Dominicans so she used their habit pattern. They were founded with the help of the late John Cardinal O'Connor. They follow the Rule of St. Augustine. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='SrKateri' timestamp='1353633921' post='2514985']
[/quote]

I originally thought they were of Dominican origin, Kateri, but since have learned that they follow the Rule of St Augustine.

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1353634945' post='2514996']
The first Superior General, Mother Agnes Mary, came from the Nashville Dominicans
[/quote]

Are you sure, MM? I went on Come and See with them two weeks-ish ago and I had quite a few conversations with Mother Agnes and from what she told me regarding the foundation of the community, she was never with the Nashies.

Cardinal O'Connor put an advertisement in the newspaper and Mother Agnes + 7 others (I think that is the right number) entered the community in 1991. From what I have been told, she was a lay person before that. I might be wrong though!!

For their habits, they actually did not begin with their current Dominican style habit. It was originally quite unattractive from what I've been told, and not at all the Dominican style. Someone told them it was ugly, and not becoming of brides of Christ, so they changed it to the current blue and white, Dominican style with the cape. :) I have asked for pictures of this but have yet to find any. :/

It is true that the now Mother Assumpta helped them with their novitiate program in the beginning, but I would be really surprised to learn that Mother Agnes was with the ND's.

If I am incorrect, please excuse me.

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

Also, at the Come and See, they told us that they really struggled between choosing the rule of the order.

It was a super close race between Franciscan and Augustinian and St. Augustine's only just barely won the race because they wanted a very large focus to be on community life. They are huge lovers of Saint Francis though, and their vow of poverty is actually a solemn vow, not a simple vow like many orders. :)

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1353636152' post='2515022']
Are you sure, MM? I went on Come and See with them two weeks-ish ago and I had quite a few conversations with Mother Agnes and from what she told me regarding the foundation of the community, she was never with the Nashies.

For their habits, they actually did not begin with their current Dominican style habit. It was originally quite unattractive from what I've been told, and not at all the Dominican style. Someone told them it was ugly, and not becoming of brides of Christ, so they changed it to the current blue and white, Dominican style with the cape.

[/quote]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that sisters from Nashies and the Religious Sisters of Mercy Alma were in charge of the SOL formation when the community was formed. When they redesigned their habit they honored both communities, combining Nashie habit with the navy blue from the RSM's.

All of the above is correct. However, the founding sister of the SSEW is a former Nashie.

The original habit was beige and something like a two piece skirt and "blouse" from what I could see of the small pix. Mother Assumpta and a Parish Visitor of Mary Immaculate led the candidates' founder's novitiate. The Nashies helped them design their habit, and integrated the rule, the OP and PVMI colors, which is what's usually done. We read about founders entering one order then founding another, which isn't the case. They were attending the founder's novitiate.

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the States, and let us give thanks for the religious life.

Blessings,
Gemma

I have been reading their newsletters for years and have attended many of their talks and have gleaned the following: The first group, of which Mother Agnes was a member, did their postulancy with the Parish Visitors in NYC and then Cardinal O'Connor asked Mother Assumpta (previously the mother supior of the Nashvilles and now the foundress of DSMME) to continue their formation during their novitiate. Some of the Mercy Alma sisters were actively involved in their formation. Cardinal O'Connor chose their habit which obviously resembles the Nashvilles. I googled and you can find the history here [url="http://www.sistersoflife.org/about-the-sisters-of-life/history"]http://www.sistersoflife.org/about-the-sisters-of-life/history[/url]

The DSMMEs follow the rule of St. Augustine as well (that is why their entrance day is the feast of St. Augustine)

And though they were not with the nashies per se they did stay with them as part of the formation for the initial sisters.

ETA: the OPs follow the rule of St. Augustine, not just the DSMMEs

Edited by HopefulBride

ToJesusMyHeart

"Throughout the first years of Formation, the new community was greatly assisted by the Parish Visitors of Mary Immaculate, who provided our postulancy residence and first directors. The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia and the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma provided our first novice director, Sr. (now Mother) Assumpta Long, O.P., and assistant novice director, Sr. Yvonne Mary Loucks, RSM. They remained with us for one year before Mother Agnes Mary was missioned as Superior General on August 22, 1993. The Little Sisters of the Poor and the Hawthorne Dominicans granted us the privilege of working in their apostolates before we had our own."

DiscerningCatholic

Mother Assumpta (MS of DSMME) actually went and lived with the SOL for a while when they were starting out, to give them the how-to's of religious life and community founding.

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1353636152' post='2515022']

Cardinal O'Connor put an advertisement in the newspaper and Mother Agnes + 7 others (I think that is the right number) entered the community in 1991. From what I have been told, she was a lay person before that. I might be wrong though!!

For their habits, they actually did not begin with their current Dominican style habit. It was originally quite unattractive from what I've been told, and not at all the Dominican style. Someone told them it was ugly, and not becoming of brides of Christ, so they changed it to the current blue and white, Dominican style with the cape. :) I have asked for pictures of this but have yet to find any. :/

It is true that the now Mother Assumpta helped them with their novitiate program in the beginning, but I would be really surprised to learn that Mother Agnes was with the ND's.

If I am incorrect, please excuse me.
[/quote]

Oh, my! I'm so sorry! I was getting her confused with Mother Assumpta of the DSMMEs and Mother Mary Gabriel of the SsEWs! :blush:

Yes, you are correct. They were started just like the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in that the first members had never been in religious life before. Whoops!

Edited by MaterMisericordiae