An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of Life

Kateri89

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-Jsk44KPT4s/SHgQqfIaNNI/AAAAAAAAAA4/Wlmo61stCMg/s1600/DSC_1321.JPG[/img]

Aren't they beautiful? :nunpray:

Rosa immaculata

Hum, wonderful Sisters, SrKateri!! Sorry, I really cannot help you for information about them, but they are a marvellous order; their mission is absolutely essential and the Marian blue is very relevant for these sisters!
May God sustain you in your research... Religious life is ... fabulous! :pray:

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1353734185' post='2515803']
That picture is so beautiful, but a few years aged (not a bad thing!). May I ask where you got it?

:love:
[/quote]

I have seen that photo of them before (so beautiful!) on [url="http://voxcantor.blogspot.com/2010/05/sisters-of-life-centre-toronto.html"]this[/url] website.

[size=6][sub]When I visited them years ago, they were doing an experiment with a few sisters who began to live a strictly contemplative life. Does anyone know if they still have the contemplative community?[/sub][/size]

ToJesusMyHeart

On the Come and See a few weeks ago, they said nothing about a strictly contemplative group, but then again, nobody asked.

That would be very interesting. I think it's a neat idea, but I wonder how it would work since it's nowhere in their Constitutions (which I read).

I thought the plan was to have a separate set of constitutions that would govern the contemplative sisters, but I don't really remember. If they are still in existence then perhaps postulants would be required to enter the active sisters similiar to the FI first, and then discern the contemplative vocation after initial formation. If you are in touch with them TJMH, maybe you can ask them about it next time, just curious. :smile2:

[quote name='inperpetuity' timestamp='1353863162' post='2516329']
[size=6][sub]When I visited them years ago, they were doing an experiment with a few sisters who began to live a strictly contemplative life. Does anyone know if they still have the contemplative community?[/sub][/size]
[/quote]

Wow, that would be very interesting. The pro-life movement needs all the prayerful support they can get!

that sounds similar to what the Servidoras have :like: [url="http://www.ssvmusa.org/Convents/St.EdithStein.shtm"]http://www.ssvmusa.o...EdithStein.shtm[/url]

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='inperpetuity' timestamp='1353871082' post='2516350']
I thought the plan was to have a separate set of constitutions that would govern the contemplative sisters, but I don't really remember. If they are still in existence then perhaps postulants would be required to enter the active sisters similiar to the FI first, and then discern the contemplative vocation after initial formation. If you are in touch with them TJMH, maybe you can ask them about it next time, just curious. :smile2:
[/quote]

I called them yesterday and got the answering machine, so I left a message for Sr. A to call me back. :)

I will ask her!!!

• 4 weeks later...
ToJesusMyHeart

Update! I spoke with Sr. A awhile ago and asked her about this contemplative community. 

She said that is was a LONG time ago, before she herself even joined the community (and she just made her perpetuals), and they did a brief trial run of having contemplative sisters, and they found it was too difficult to have both contemplatives and actives living together, and they didn't have an option of putting the contemplatives in another convent (they lacked the resources), and so they discontinued the project. 

It would be cool though, in the future, if them or another pro-life group had a contemplative branch like the SSVM have. :)

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

DiscerningCatholic
I originally thought they were of Dominican origin, Kateri, but since have learned that they follow the Rule of St Augustine.

So do all Dominicans orders...

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

ToJesusMyHeart

Nope!

St. Dominic did not find it easy to get formal approval for his preaching order; it contained too many innovations for sanction to be granted hastily; moreover, the Fourth Lateran Council had already voted against the multiplication of religious orders. It is said that Pope Innocent had decided to withhold his consent from giving Dominic permission to found his Order, but on the next night dreamed he saw the Lateran Church tottering as if on the verge of collapse; Dominic stepped forward to support it. That dream led the Pope to finally give oral approval to St. Dominic's plan, telling him to return to his brothers and select one of the Rules already approved.

The little company which met at Prouille, after some discussion, chose the Rule of St. Augustine, the oldest and least detailed of the existing rules, which had been written for priests by a priest who was himself an eminent preacher. St. Dominic added certain special provisions, some borrowed from the more austere order of Premontre.

The rule of Augustine is so basic and simple a Rule about living together in peace and mutual respect in a religious community dedicated to a committed Christian life and service, that the orders which adopted it could supplement and adapt it with their own constitutions. That fact allowed St. Dominic to give the Order a set of Constitutions strikingly different from those of other orders then recently founded. The Constitutions were thoroughly revised in the period 1960-68, but preserving the emphases of St. Dominic as they need to appear today, when the Order is much smaller in many areas than it was in the Middle Ages.

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart