An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Nun Part 2

ChristinaTherese

whitneyelizabeth

ditto on love songs suddenly becoming spiritual anthems :)

...you get the four-volume Liturgy of the Hours for Christmas and you take it with you everywhere

...you rejoice when you discover that maxi skirts are modest, twirly, and currently in fashion (three descriptions that are not often found together)

...you get a sudden urge to put something on your head at Mass after you've been hanging out with sisters

...every time someone asks why you're discerning you want to shout, "Because I;m in love with Jesus and He asked me to marry Him and I said 'Yes!'!!!" (...I always wuss out because it sounds rather odd to my Protestant and fallen-away Catholic relatives) 

...you don't pick up the random magazines in the doctor's or dentist's office anymore because you're carrying on a conversation with Jesus or Mary

...when you formally announce your discernment, your friends freak out like you just got engaged and proceed to paper your dorm with pages of nun name suggestions (i.e. Sister Joan Michael of the Sword of Divine Retribution or Sister Francesca Dominique)

...you read someone else's post about their discernment and you laugh because you feel the exact same way or the same thing has happened to you

Julie de Sales

Welcome withneyelisabeth! It's beautiful that your friends understand your vocation, my close ones are supportive but I belive they think being a nun it's a waste of life.
...when you have a friend that entered in a cloistered order and you are praying for her perseverance.

DiscerningCatholic
...when you formally announce your discernment, your friends freak out like you just got engaged and proceed to paper your dorm with pages of nun name suggestions (i.e. Sister Joan Michael of the Sword of Divine Retribution or Sister Francesca Dominique)

:| That's great, because all my friends react like I said, "I'm EXPECTING!" instead of, "I'm discerning!"

:doh: 

Renee the Nunnabe

When you are brought to tears for the love of your Lord. :nun1:  

When you refer to sisters or nuns that you know as "my nuns."  

When you get weird looks or questions because you're reading/holding a book about nuns.  

When you just can't wait to talk to "your nuns," and you consider this the high point of any day on which it occurs.  

When you feel sad at the end of Mass because you wanted it to go on longer.  

When you make a veil for prayer, and it ends up looking like a nun's veil. You're not sure if you should wear it or not, because though it's very pretty, you don't want to create any confusion.  

When you daydream about the Lord. <3  :nun1:  

:nun3:  

Renee the Nunnabe

When you dress more conservatively than most people 20 years older than you. (I've been mistaken for a teacher as far back as junior high school. Then, it was from afar.)  

When you make nun art and find yourself making nun puns.  

When you have several Bibles and other religious items.  

When you get really excited and grin when you see a nun on television or in a movie. (Or when you frown or your mouth drops open if one such nun does something . . . rather un-nunly.)  

When you're Facebook friends with sisters or nuns.  

When your Spanish speaking final included numerous words about nuns and habits that even some native speakers wouldn't understand.  

Edited by Renee the Nunnabe

ChristinaTherese

When you walk across a monastery with a veil on (I was too lazy to take it off, since I was in and out of the church/chapel/whatchamacallit so often) and your hands in your opposite sleeves (which I generally do instead of wearing gloves), and you feel like you should have a sign around your neck saying "Move along, nothing to see here. I'm just a lazy teenager, nothing special."

When you eagerly await the next email from "your" nuns.

When you laugh inside when Father tells you that the Rite of Election is on Valentine's Day. (That is, he said that it's on Feb. 14. Which is Valentine's Day. Interesting. (It's also the day after Ash Wednesday. Maybe that's why?))

Renee the Nunnabe

When the idea of not being able to have a husband or children of your own doesn't sadden you, because you know that the Lord is the greatest spouse any one could ever wish for.  

ChristinaTherese
When the idea of not being able to have a husband or children of your own doesn't sadden you, because you know that the Lord is the greatest spouse any one could ever wish for.  

Welcome to PM (and VS), Renee! (You seem to be coming just in time to "replace" another Texan, emmaberry101. :hehe2:)

Renee the Nunnabe

Thank you, Christina! =)  

I certainly hope to be a nice addition to this phorum.

I think it's amazing that Emmaberry101 is entering with the Poor Clares. :bounce: 'Such a lovely call to answer! (And, now that I know she's a fellow Texan, I get to feel even more happy for her! Bias? Pfft. ;) ) 

(must wait to tell family, etc. about my "call," though I have my priest who is a wonderful, kind, and holy spiritual director)

You know you're a future nun when... after Mass, while you are thanking and adoring Our Lord, a seminarian comes and hands you an envelope containing your first precious reply letter that you had given to Father a few days before - asking his advice and direction...the seminarian smiles at you and gives a knowing look..you know the seminarian knows your secret...and you know you and he share the same joy - the promise of being His alone...you smile to yourself because now this is all real instead of just being in your heart.

This happened this morning!

When, you don't know why, start crying randomly while praying... :cry:...  :smile3:

Ditto about dressing more modest than people 20 years old than you...

When you dream of the Blessed Mother and her Son...

Renee the Nunnabe

When you sometimes find yourself crying with joy during Mass. (That, or grinning with joy! :smile3: :smile4: )  

When music makes you think of Jesus. 

When comic books and related media, particularly those about Superman, make you think of Jesus. (I'm a nerd and a geek . . . it's only natural that I see those parallels! :hehe2: )  

When you'd rather learn about your faith and research orders than research for a paper. :bounce:  

When some of your favourite movies or documentaries are about nuns.  

when you look back over your spiritual life and discernment and wonder at God's grace because there's no way you'd be where you are today without it.

I'm looking back for my autobiography, and I literally have no explanation except undeserved grace. It almost doesn't make sense.