An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Nun Part 2

ChristinaTherese

ChristinaTherese

When the superior accidentally calls you Sr. Namewhen some of the sisters discuss the idea of kidnaping you so you don't have to leave the convent, and when one of the sisters is talking to your dad and they tell him to take you to the pope so you can ask for permission to enter early :hehe: 

Love the pope bit.

When you're praying after Mass and hear someone say something and address it to "Sister" thinking you heard your name. Er... no, my name just happens to also begin with "sɪ" (with that being the IPA for the first two sounds of the word "sister"), but there was a DSMME close to the speaker who was the one being spoken to. (I'm guessing she's on a home visit, since the person I saw her with these last couple of days looks like she's probably her sister, and I'm not near anywhere I'd actually think I was likely to see DSMME's.)

Kayte Postle

When your mother tells you that even as a child you said you wanted to be a nun...

Discovered this little factoid this morning when talking with my momma.  I think its especially funny since I grew up in a luke-warm methodist household, and I didn't know any religious or catholics for that matter. It brought a smile to my face. :hehe2:

Mary's Child

When you realize in the middle of job applications, rosary making, and responding to emails that you haven't said morning prayer yet. So of course you immediately stop everything else for a few minutes to do it :)

• 2 weeks later...
ChristinaTherese

When you're introducing yourself to a Sister and think (I didn't say it) "I'm Sr.--Oops. Cynthia."

ChristinaTherese

And... when you realize you had more to write and hit "post" too soon. Oops. Here's the other thing I wanted to put in.

When you're talking to people after Mass and after a while it comes up (I think Father asked... I'm not sure) that you're discerning religious life and Father says that he thought so. And then a rather enjoyable conversation ensues between him and the Sisters about their discernment. (And, maybe, when that happens on the feast of St. Clare (in the 1962 calendar).)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mary's Child

When you say " I need to email Mother" and are not referring your biological Mother :hehe:

When you casually mention that you wont be around in January and your biological sister is like WHATTT? then you feel bad for forgetting to update her.

When you listen to this song, while imagining Jesus singing it to you and dreaming about entering the convent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKTjUre_wZo

Is it bad the very first time I heard it that is what I thought of? :p

Are you serious? I ALWAYS do that with that song! I first heard it about a month before the DSMME discernment retreat and fell in love with it...

I guess Bennies and Doms have something in common :p

whitneyelizabeth

I totally thought the same thing when I first heard this song--maybe it's overly sentimental of me but there it is... :blush: I feel like there are a surprising number of secular songs that fit spiritual meanings

ToJesusMyHeart

When you get a call from Sister while you're in the library (at a secular university), and she asks to pray with you, and you have no where to go so you pray the Hail Mary out loud in the middle of the library and just hope nobody minds. 

When you get a call from Sister while you're in the library (at a secular university), and she asks to pray with you, and you have no where to go so you pray the Hail Mary out loud in the middle of the library and just hope nobody minds. 

:) haha I was just on the phone with my Superior yesterday and she asked me to pray a Hail Mary with her which is unusual shes never asked for that before. I was at home though so it wasn't awkward.

ToJesusMyHeart

When you have a dream in Latin where you say "Domine, non sum digus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo, et sanabitur anima mea."

domenica_therese

I totally thought the same thing when I first heard this song--maybe it's overly sentimental of me but there it is... :blush: I feel like there are a surprising number of secular songs that fit spiritual meanings

Yeah, one of my favorite discernment songs is "This" by Darius Rucker. 

• 1 month later...
Crucesignata

You know you are a future nun when....

-one of your biggest daily problems is finding appropriate places to pray the Liturgy of the Hours.  :bible:  :bash:

-you squeal with excitement and joy when you see Sisters or pictures of Sisters - especially when they are from your community. :w00t:

-you told your whole 3rd grade classroom that your best friend died 2,000 years ago.   :cry:

-you are homeschooled and take a class on Gregorian Chant

-your father comes to tuck you in at night and to pray with you, and you explain that you have already completed Compline...

-you began giving your siblings unscheduled catechesis lessons when you were 7.

-you see states on license plates and immediately think of religious communities who live therein.

-you go through 2-3 bottles of Holy Water per month.

-you have ever created a facebook event/invite page for a Mass.

-the only reason you want to get facebook is so that you can "like" the DSMME and the DSSC pages.

-when someone asks you to give a message to your mother, you ask, "Which one?"  (You know at least 3...)

-you carry pictures of friends in your wallet, 3/4 of which are dead, and at least half of which have been canonized.

-you are drowning in St. Anthony medals - but can never find one when you need one.  (haha, jk on the second half!)  ;P

-whenever you go swimming you catch yourself meditating on the Sacrament of Baptism.

-you've only been kicked out of school once - and that was for carrying a Bible.

-you turn your head whenever someone plays the "Hey Sister!" game.

-you know how to play the "Hey Sister!" game.

-you have played the "Hey Sister!" game.   :blush:

(Behold the "Hey Sister" game" for those who have not heard of it: http://youtu.be/0xAru6N39d8)

-you spend your weekends making cord rosaries for other discerning friends and/or priests

-your musical selections include Audrey Assad, Gregorian Chant, and the DSMME album and/or those of the Benedictines of Mary.

-liturgical abuses make you turn purple.

-you have calculated to the exact yard and know the exact price of how much material it would take to make your favorite habit.  :)

-you have ever said in a crowded room, "Stigmata is wayyyy cooler than Justin Bieber!!"