An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Ring Should I Get?

OnlySunshine

Which ring message?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Talk it over with your spiritual director?  That's what I would do, and make a choice that way.

Unfortunately, that's not an option for me because I don't have a spiritual director.  :)

They are all lovely, but personally I like 4 and 5.  Remember, sterling tarnishes very easily unless it's got a protective coating on it.  

And if the ring is done in steel, you'd have less of a chance of an allergic reaction.  Just my two cents :))

That's good advice, thanks.  I don't react to sterling silver but I don't like when it tarnishes.  I'm going to make a decision soon.  I'm leaning towards the one that has both Hebrew and English but I found another website that has a Hebrew stainless steel ring for $9.95 so I might go with that.  ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

abrideofChrist

I like #2.  I would suggest if you haven't already considered this, that you wear it on a finger without marriage/engagement significance in your own culture.  But maybe I'm biased, considering that the only visible insignia consecrated virgins receive/wear daily is their wedding ring.  It takes a lot - and a public vocation in the Church to get to the ring point whether one is a engaged/married woman or religious.  I would also say that when I was traveling outside of my own culture, I did wear a silver band prior to my consecration but am not sure whether that really gave me any additional protection from unwanted attentions.

Edited by abrideofChrist

I like #2.  I would suggest if you haven't already considered this, that you wear it on a finger without marriage/engagement significance in your own culture.  But maybe I'm biased, considering that the only visible insignia consecrated virgins receive/wear daily is their wedding ring.  It takes a lot - and a public vocation in the Church to get to the ring point whether one is a engaged/married woman or religious.  I would also say that when I was traveling outside of my own culture, I did wear a silver band prior to my consecration but am not sure whether that really gave me any additional protection from unwanted attentions.

Most religious communities I know wear the band on the right hand ring finger like in Europe.  I'm not getting this ring to protect against unwanted attentions -- I haven't been experiencing that problem (thank God!).  It's for my own reasons of wanting to be reminded of my commitment.  :)

I took everyone's opinion into consideration and opted to purchase a ring I found on eBay that was the cheapest but most high quality ring I found so far in stainless steel.  Unfortunately, it's not in Hebrew, but the laser engraving is so clear and the ring is beautiful!  It was $8.99 with free shipping.  This is what I purchased:

5mm "I Am My Beloveds" ring in Stainless Steel (Size 8)

abrideofChrist

Most religious communities I know wear the band on the right hand ring finger like in Europe.  I'm not getting this ring to protect against unwanted attentions -- I haven't been experiencing that problem (thank God!).  It's for my own reasons of wanting to be reminded of my commitment.  :)

My apologies.  I did not feel it would be right to wear it on my right or left hand ring fingers except when traveling because it would convey the significance of  my being in a public vocation which I was not in.  I only made the exception for traveling and admitted that I am not sure it did any good anyway.  i will bow out of the conversation.  God bless you.

My apologies.  I did not feel it would be right to wear it on my right or left hand ring fingers except when traveling because it would convey the significance of  my being in a public vocation which I was not in.  I only made the exception for traveling and admitted that I am not sure it did any good anyway.  i will bow out of the conversation.  God bless you.

I hope you don't think I'm upset with you because I'm not.  I appreciate your take on it.  It's always interesting to hear what other people have done.  ;)

Well, I got my ring today!  I wasn't supposed to get it until tomorrow according to USPS but it came a day early!  I opened up the tiny package and gasped -- the ring is even more beautiful in person!  I was, however, a little worried about how it would fit on my finger since the outside is straight, but I need not have worried -- the inside, though it's hard to see, is rounded so it is very comfortable.  What a great deal for $8.99!  I am VERY happy!  :)