An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Ring Should I Get?

OnlySunshine

Which ring message?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

AccountDeleted

I hope you don't think I'm upset with you because I'm not.  I appreciate your take on it.  It's always interesting to hear what other people have done.  ;)

Mater - I wear my private vows ring on the middle finger of my left hand - but only because when I wear it on my ring finger, it tends to fall off as my knuckle on that finger is almost non-existent! Otherwise I would definitely wear it on my ring finger. I have grown used to it where it is and it is good because it doesn't seem to draw any attention at all, but you should wear yours wherever you want to. Mine is a plain silver wedding band with an inscription inside of Sponsa Christi and the date I made my private vows. I had it blessed by a priest and when I told him what it was for, he was delighted and did the blessing and then blessed me as well. I consider it a sacramental and never take it off. Even when I was in Carmel, I was allowed to wear it although Carmelites don't wear wedding rings. I might have to give it up when I am clothed but then I will have a habit instead, so I am comfortable with that.

Every time I look at my ring I feel comforted and reminded that I belong to Jesus and always will. Sacramentals are a beautiful expression of love and devotion to God, so I encourage you to get your ring blessed by a priest and to wear it on whatever finger you want! :)

Mater - I wear my private vows ring on the middle finger of my left hand - but only because when I wear it on my ring finger, it tends to fall off as my knuckle on that finger is almost non-existent! Otherwise I would definitely wear it on my ring finger. I have grown used to it where it is and it is good because it doesn't seem to draw any attention at all, but you should wear yours wherever you want to. Mine is a plain silver wedding band with an inscription inside of Sponsa Christi and the date I made my private vows. I had it blessed by a priest and when I told him what it was for, he was delighted and did the blessing and then blessed me as well. I consider it a sacramental and never take it off. Even when I was in Carmel, I was allowed to wear it although Carmelites don't wear wedding rings. I might have to give it up when I am clothed but then I will have a habit instead, so I am comfortable with that.

Every time I look at my ring I feel comforted and reminded that I belong to Jesus and always will. Sacramentals are a beautiful expression of love and devotion to God, so I encourage you to get your ring blessed by a priest and to wear it on whatever finger you want! :)

Wow!  That's beautiful, nunsense!  I definitely plan to have my ring blessed as soon as I can.  I love it so much already.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
Catholicterp7

I also wear mine on my left ring finger for pretty much the same reasons as Nunsense. Although I had mine long before I made my private vows it has always had that meaning for me. I also had mine blessed by a priest and touched it to the tomb of Solanus Casey while I was there a few years ago. 

I once had a friend explain the Claddagh to me as Christ is King of my heart and holds my life in His hands so when I look at my ring I not only think of Solanus Casey and all he has done for my discernment but I also thing of that meaning as well. 

JMJ+ :heart: 

I still have not had the opportunity to have my ring blessed, but I will tomorrow night when my parish has their Penance service.  The ring has become very much a part of me already and my finger feels "naked" when I don't have it on.  I love it.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think you made a wonderful choice Mater! Glad to hear you are happy with it! (I have a wooden rosary bracelet made by a religious community and had it blessed as well)

• 3 weeks later...
VeniJesuAmorMi

Just a question for anyone that knows. (I hope this is alright to ask in this thread; as I noticed its about rings.) :)

Is there a certain blessing for a ring that is worn for either private vows or a promise ring?

Just a question for anyone that knows. (I hope this is alright to ask in this thread; as I noticed its about rings.) :)

Is there a certain blessing for a ring that is worn for either private vows or a promise ring?

I don't know if there is one for that specific purpose, but there are blessings of the ring for profession of religious.  One goes like this:

Receive this ring, symbol of the love that binds you to Jesus Christ, sign of your desire to live in union and conformity with His Heart.

In the Rite of Consecration to a Life of a Virginity, the newly consecrated virgin receives a ring upon her finger which is placed there by the Bishop as a symbol of the virgin's fidelity to a life lived for Jesus alone.

Receive the ring that marks you as a bride of Christ.
Keep unstained your fidelity to your Bridegroom,
that you may one day be admitted to the wedding feast of everlasting joy.

Catholicterp7

I don't think there's a particular one for private vows/promise ring. I just asked my priest to bless my ring and explained to him why I wear it. 

JMJ+ :heart: 

Mater, I wil pray "extra hard" for your discernment process.  Please, please do not get discouraged.  The Lord has something fantastic waiting for you, but His timing is not always our timing.  I've waited over 40 years now, and finally at long last my dream or a religious vocation is being realized.  A year or so ago I was introduced to some wonderful Dames of Malta at a profession ceremony and learned that the Order of Malta is indeed a religious order under the Pope.  To my surprise, here I am in formation for the Class of 2014!  I'm not the most patient person (as anyone in my family can attest to), and I think waiting on the Lord was one of the most difficult things I've ever done.  Be patient (I know, easy for me to say) and He will open doors you never know existed!

Mater, this is just a little hiccup in the cup of life.   God does everything in His time, and at His pace, and one day, when you least expect it, you will find the Community that He has chosen for you, and you will look back on this time,  - and smile.

In the meantime, I will pray for your intentions.  

Thank you, the both of you.  I'm not letting it affect my discernment.  I understand that God has a reason and a purpose for not accepting me in this particular congregation and He knows I'd be happier somewhere else.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
abrideofChrist

Mater, I wil pray "extra hard" for your discernment process.  Please, please do not get discouraged.  The Lord has something fantastic waiting for you, but His timing is not always our timing.  I've waited over 40 years now, and finally at long last my dream or a religious vocation is being realized.  A year or so ago I was introduced to some wonderful Dames of Malta at a profession ceremony and learned that the Order of Malta is indeed a religious order under the Pope.  To my surprise, here I am in formation for the Class of 2014!  I'm not the most patient person (as anyone in my family can attest to), and I think waiting on the Lord was one of the most difficult things I've ever done.  Be patient (I know, easy for me to say) and He will open doors you never know existed!

Just curious, Francis Clare.  I have met Dames of Malta and read the Constitutions but I was under the impression that unless you join the cloistered communities in Italy/Malta that Dames are like a 3rd Order and remain lay because they only make a promise of obedience.  The Dames I know are all married.