An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cloisters For Older Vocations?

Lil'Nun

Wow, can I relate!

I'm young in spirit, though not when I look in the mirror!

I greatly appreciate the thoughts and advice that I am finding here at VS.

I heard Our Lord call me two years ago, but was not in a position to respond to Him.

Happily, I am now, and have recently been released by my SD to begin communicating with different orders.

I have spent a lot of time looking into the different orders and have felt attracted to each different spirituality and charism, but now that it's "real" It seems like the options are very few and that I have been a bit of a Polyanna in thinking that age might not really matter.

The other thing that is limiting is that I belong to a Latin Mass parish (FSSP- which I love) and traditional religious orders in communion with the Church are few and far between.

I think as time progresses some orders will transition to the Tridentine Mass and Divine Office in Latin, but it will take time and I'm not getting any younger!

The Poor Sisters of Saint Clare have the NO Mass, but it's said ad orientem, the Mass parts are in Latin, and they use the altar rail--well, the sisters receive kneeling at the grille, but the people in the public chapel use the altar rail. They say the Office in English. They don't have an age limit; you can read what Fr. David Mary has to say about Age Discrimination (their brother community).

Thank you MM!! I guess that is how I am looking at this...based on age limits...Its like why even put them in the pool (so to speak) when the cut off is aimed at a certain age group. However, now that I have been guided and advised to the contrary..I will discern w/o puttings age limitations as a road block!! ;-)

Thank you MM!! I guess that is how I am looking at this...based on age limits...Its like why even put them in the pool (so to speak) when the cut off is aimed at a certain age group. However, now that I have been guided and advised to the contrary..I will discern w/o puttings age limitations as a road block!! ;-)

There’s also the Poor Clare nuns in Wappinger’s Falls, New York, U.S.A.: http://artyswebdesign.netfirms.com/poorclare/index.html (Unfortunately, this isn’t a really great website, but it at least has their contact information.) They are a lovely group of Sisters, and I know they’re open to 40+ vocations.

This particular monastery isn’t especially “traditional,” and their lifestyle is not as austere as many of the more well-known Poor Clare Colletine monasteries. For example, the Sisters wear modified habits and shoes, eat meat, and don’t have a grille in their parlor.

But, they are faithful to the magisterium, they love the Church, and in addition to Mass and the Divine Office they also have two full hours of Eucharistic Adoration every day.

These sisters are in my hometown area, what a surprise!  I just got back here for a visit with my family for Christmas and saw this post.  They are very close to a monastery of Franciscan Friars who have a beautiful monastery called Mt. Alvernia up on a big hill, it's really beautiful.

These sisters are in my hometown area, what a surprise!  I just got back here for a visit with my family for Christmas and saw this post.  They are very close to a monastery of Franciscan Friars who have a beautiful monastery called Mt. Alvernia up on a big hill, it's really beautiful.

Mount Alvernia* you say? Set on a hill? Ah! I love the symbolism. :love:

*For any non-Franciscans out there, (they actually exist?? :P) Mt La Verna/Alvernia/Alverna is where St Francis received the Sacred Stigmata. There really could not be a better name for a house of Franciscans!

petitpèlerin
Mount Alvernia* you say? Set on a hill? Ah! I love the symbolism. :love:

*For any non-Franciscans out there, (they actually exist?? :P) Mt La Verna/Alvernia/Alverna is where St Francis received the Sacred Stigmata. There really could not be a better name for a house of Franciscans!

Ooh! I've had a Mt Alverna Friary in my life for years. Any wonder I turned out Franciscan? ;)

(Just kidding. I was born Franciscan. Wait, what? Some people aren't?!)

Ooh! I've had a Mt Alverna Friary in my life for years. Any wonder I turned out Franciscan? ;)

(Just kidding. I was born Franciscan. Wait, what? Some people aren't?!)

:lol:

The Poor Sisters of Saint Clare have the NO Mass, but it's said ad orientem, the Mass parts are in Latin, and they use the altar rail--well, the sisters receive kneeling at the grille, but the people in the public chapel use the altar rail. They say the Office in English. They don't have an age limit; you can read what Fr. David Mary has to say about Age Discrimination (their brother community).

Thank you, Pax,

I have been following this order and love what Fr. David Mary says about age discrimination (both young and old).  I have a sneaking suspicion they may transition into Latin as they become more established.  It's not that I would never consider a NO order because there are many, many wonderful and reverent ones.  And it's not really about the Latin language either.  It's hard to explain the differnces to those who are not familiar with the EF and unfortunately, many EF goers come accross as rude, snobbish and disrespectful.

I know God is preparing a place for me and I will know in His time.  I still have a couple of years before I am fully able to enter an order.

p.s. I try not to be superficial, but I do love their habits - no starch and so simple.

Oh, and I plan on joining the yahoo group :-)

In Corde Regis,

Once you have an idea of the spirituality that is marked out for you, and if you are interested in the U.S., I have a list of monasteries that accept older  vocations.  Some stop at 45, some at 60, but consider individual circumstances, some do not state a limit.  God be with you on your journey!

Little Sister,

I would also appreciate the information, if it's not a problem. I'm really looking for somewhere in Europe but it would be interesting to see possibilities in the US too.

Thanks.