An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Many Nuns Are There Worldwide?

ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

Okay, so I realize that this seems like an impossible question., but I figured I'd ask and see if I got fortunate.

Does anybody know or have the resources to find out how many nuns there are in the world (active and cloistered)??

Like, ____% of the world population are nuns/consecrated women. For the sake of statistical clarity, I think we can assume all consecrated women would be a more accurate description. It just seems to me that there are SO many orders, and so many sisters, that I am curious if we can find actual statistics on this. 

So does anybody have any idea or know how to find out? 

:nun:

Wow, 720,000 Religious Sisters worldwide.

Its interesting that in spite of the notion that there are a very small number compared to the past, this is only about 270,00 less than in 1970!

AccountDeleted

What I found interesting is that the number of diocesan priests increased worldwide since 1970 (although the number of religious priests decreased). Of course the number of Catholics has also increased so has the number of parishes without a priest!

There are three things in this world that even the Pope doesn't know:

1. What the Dominicans are thinking;

2. What the Jesuits are doing;

3. How many congregations of nuns there are - and if he doesn't know how manyh congregations, how could he possibly know how many nuns?