An Old School Catholic Message Board

In The Wake Of This Tragedy

kujo

theculturewarrior

I'm sure the parents of all those kindergarders are really grateful for your God's mercy right now.

It doesn't really make sense unless you believe in Heaven, and I honestly want to sensitive to the pain that this man's mental illness has caused.  I've said what I've had to say.

God is merciful, and not because any of us deserve it.

if he is merciful to this guy in judgement I want nothing to do with that god... Edited by Guest

I am not sure it is correct to say that this killer had no motive. Violence is almost never truly random. His motive may have been literally insane. Something no normal person would ever consider. But I am sure there was a motive. Guaranteed it was sick and maniacal, and God help a soul who can allow himself to commit such things.

Anyway, that is all I have to say about that.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

so its mental illness why he did this ? so I should feel sorry for him ? Surely satan has mental illness. So I should feel sorry for him too. Heck if I look at it how you do mabey God will forgive satan too in the end and this suffering this earth has seen will all be 4 nothing.

Edited by Guest

so its mental illness why he did this ? so I should feel sorry for him ? Surely satan has mental illness. So I should feel sorry for him too. Heck if I look at it how you do mabey God will forgive satan too in the end and this suffering this earth has seen will all be 4 nothing.

Edited by Guest

Basilisa Marie

if God is merciful to this guy in judgement I want nothing to do with that god...

You don't really mean that.  We believe in the possibility of salvation for everyone, through Christ's sacrifice. 

That being said, it's probably not the most tactful thing to talk about God having mercy for the perpetrator around people who are trying to grapple with this senseless tragedy.  

We all deal with these things differently, and we all have to keep this in mind.  I hope the last thing we want to do is fight over this particular tragedy.  

1. Nations are not charitable.

http://www.american.com/archive/2008/march-april-magazine-contents/a-nation-of-givers

[quote]Q. Are Americans more or less charitable than citizens of other countries?
A. No developed country approaches American giving. For example, in 1995 (the most recent year for which data are available), Americans gave, per capita, three and a half times as much to causes and charities as the French, seven times as much as the Germans, and 14 times as much as the Italians. Similarly, in 1998, Americans were 15 percent more likely to volunteer their time than the Dutch, 21 percent more likely than the Swiss, and 32 percent more likely than the Germans. These differences are not attributable to demographic characteristics such as education, income, age, sex, or marital status. On the contrary, if we look at two people who are identical in all these ways except that one is European and the other American, the probability is still far lower that the European will volunteer than the American[/quote]

[quote]2. I don't know who "us" is, and I don't necessarily want "us" to do anything differently at all, I just want to understand why people don't seem care that, this very day, a group of children 50 times as vast died in Africa from a single disease as in this particular event in Massachusetts.[/quote]

The point is we [i]do[/i] care.  Just because the media isn't interested in broadcasting the same story every day doesn't mean we don't care.  What else are we supposed to do about children in Africa dying of malaria except Doctors Without Borders, and giving money? 

In a case like this, people want to assume it was mental illness. Me too. It is a pretty common reaction. The reason for that, I believe, is that we do not want to accept that we are capable of such evil actions.

But if you can think of it, you are capable of it. And that is terrifying. It should be terrifying.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

PhuturePriest

I'm sure the parents of all those kindergarders are really grateful for your God's mercy right now.

A father whose daughter died by being shot to death in a school tragedy in 1999 said the best thing he and his wife decided to do was not to be bitter about the killer, to forgive him, and to celebrate their daughter's life. Forgiving heals, hate destroys. Forgiving does not mean excusing. It means forgiving. Forgiving this guy does not mean if he were still alive we wouldn't throw him in jail. It means we forgive him.

A father whose daughter died by being shot to death in a school tragedy in 1999 said the best thing he and his wife decided to do was not to be bitter about the killer, to forgive him, and to celebrate their daughter's life. Forgiving heals, hate destroys. Forgiving does not mean excusing. It means forgiving. Forgiving this guy does not mean if he were still alive we wouldn't throw him in jail. It means we forgive him.

Well good for he and his wife. Something tells me they are in the vast minority in being so perfect and balanced in their grief.

You don't really mean that. We believe in the possibility of salvation for everyone, through Christ's sacrifice.

That being said, it's probably not the most tactful thing to talk about God having mercy for the perpetrator around people who are trying to grapple with this senseless tragedy.

We all deal with these things differently, and we all have to keep this in mind. I hope the last thing we want to do is fight over this particular tragedy.

I thought one had to repent. How could of this guy repented ? I know God and I know he's just. I just find it amazing when people want to make him out to be a victim. Give me a break. If hell is real and people go there then this guy better be there. Along with hitler and evil men like him. I want to take the catholic faith serious but I find it odd when its seemed as if people like these have a good shot at mercy but the church wants to threaten me with hell if I miss mass or masturbate. Seems really odd.

I thought one had to repent. How could of this guy repented ? I know God and I know he's just. I just find it amazing when people want to make him out to be a victim. Give me a break. If hell is real and people go there then this guy better be there. Along with hitler and evil men like him. I want to take the catholic faith serious but I find it odd when its seemed as if people like these have a good shot at mercy but the church wants to threaten me with hell if I miss mass or masturbate. Seems really odd.

Mass murderers don't kill people.  Masturbation and missing church on Sunday do, silly.