An Old School Catholic Message Board

In The Wake Of This Tragedy

kujo

The one you believe should choose who gets to own things in scary shapes.

A Predator Drone is not a thing in a scary shape.  It's a dangerous thing in a benign shape.  

But where is the reporting about the psychiatric medications the perpetrator – who had been under treatment for mental-health problems – may have been taking?

But where is the reporting about the psychiatric medications the perpetrator – who had been under treatment for mental-health problems – may have been taking?

How did you know about it?

A Predator Drone is not a thing in a scary shape.  It's a dangerous thing in a benign shape.  

You're losing focus.

No I'm not.  I'm talking about the Arms Industry.  

Are you suggesting ending subsidy to them, or perhaps reducing the war machine? Or are you still advocating aggression against private persons?

Are you suggesting ending subsidy to them, or perhaps reducing the war machine? Or are you still advocating aggression against private persons?

Corporations aren't people.  

How exactly is it reactionary.  I'm not seeking to preserve a particular order of things. 

I'm not calling you a Reactionary, I'm merely observing that you're being reactionary, in the sense that an event occurred, and you are irrationally reacting to it. Your solution is to empower a special class of human. Because humans cannot be trusted. 

What special class am I proposing to empower?  

The one you believe should choose who gets to own things in scary shapes.

How did you know about it?

You're losing focus.

No I'm not.  I'm talking about the Arms Industry.  

Corporations aren't people.  

I didn't say they were.

nopqMkyLEkSay1g2h5DJ1g2.gif

This is my biggest qualm. I find it hard to believe the maudlin showmanship of media and individuals alike (not aimed at either of you in particular) while the same number of children who died in Massachusetts today also died of malaria in Africa in less than the span of an American sitcom. I wish someone would explain to me why those children, dying equally or more terrible deaths, are less valuable. Is it because they're far away? Because they're poor? Because they don't look like us?

While the death of any child from any cause is horrible (and  I say this as one who recently lost a child), the deliberate murder of innocent children is certainly much more morally outrageous than the death of children from disease, accident, or other unintentional cause.

Also, with regards to Kujo's spiel, while any murder is gravely wrong and deplorable, it should be obvious that deliberately murdering innocent children for kicks is in fact something exceptionally horrific and shameful, worse than killing, say, rival gangsters, or war combatants.

But, I suppose in an age as far gone in moral relativism as ours, the obvious is no longer obvious.  (After all, even many "Catholics" today are perfectly cool with the deliberate massacre of unborn children.)

Which is a crying shame.