An Old School Catholic Message Board

Homosexuality, In Your Face

ironmonk

Lady, I think you should point her to Courage the Church's Apostolate for SSA Catholics, and show her the pertinent Catechism passages.

I think it is coragerc.net

I would be careful if I were you not to come off judgemental, because sometimes in our zeal to bring people to God we can turn people off even more than they were to start with.

It's http://www.couragerc.net/ :P

I beat you to it... :D

If she's not Catholic, then the Catechism probably won't help much... wouldn't hurt to try.

God Bless, Your Servant in Christ,

ironmonk

You know what. I probably wouldn't talk to her about how her homosexuality displeases God. I would try to be a good friend, faithful and true. I would try to invite her to come to know Christ. I would encourage her to pray with you and go to mass with you and I would treat her like any other friend. If the subject ever came up (i.e. she said "What do you think the Church teaches about my being gay?") then I would be honest with her. Give her the Churhc's teachings. But I would make it clear that you love her.

We have to remember that WE don't convert people, Christ does. The Truth can only be received by someone open to it. If you want her to know the Truth about human sexuality, get her to know Christ, to love Christ, to believe in Christ. This can't be done if she isn't talking to you because you made her feel like she was evil. This won't be done if she ignores (rolls her eyes) at every Christian thing that comes out of your mouth because she feels like you're judging her. You're duty is always to love and adore Christ present in the poorest of the poor. She is very spiritually poor if she is in an active homosexual. You must love Christ in her, and let Christ bring about her conversion.

I used to volunteer with the Missionaries of Charity in New York City. They run an AIDS hospice where they care for terminally ill AIDS patients. Many of these men were active homosexuals. One man in particular I remember had his ex-partner visit every weekend. I was kind of bothered by this at first. But I saw how the MC's treated both of them with the same joyful love that they treated me. I came to learn that both of these men were active homosexuals. When his partner began to die from AIDS they took him to the hospice, because they didn't have the money to care for him. The MC's were so good to them that they were moved by this love. Both converted (from judaism) to Catholicism. The dying patient had been there a year when I was there, I don't know if he is still alive. The man who was healthy was a member of Courage in New York. He was living a Chaste celibate life. I thought it was cool.

I learned a lot from the MC's. I'm not very good at putting all of it into practice, but I leraned a lot. Little by little.

You know what.  I probably wouldn't talk to her about how her homosexuality displeases God.  I would try to be a good friend, faithful and true.  I would try to invite her to come to know Christ.  I would encourage her to pray with you and go to mass with you and I would treat her like any other friend.  If the subject ever came up (i.e. she said "What do you think the Church teaches about my being gay?") then I would be honest with her.  Give her the Churhc's teachings.  But I would make it clear that you love her.

We have to remember that WE don't convert people, Christ does.  The Truth can only be received by someone open to it.  If you want her to know the Truth about human sexuality, get her to know Christ, to love Christ, to believe in Christ.  This can't be done if she isn't talking to you because you made her feel like she was evil.  This won't be done if she ignores (rolls her eyes) at every Christian thing that comes out of your mouth because she feels like you're judging her.  You're duty is always to love and adore Christ present in the poorest of the poor.  She is very spiritually poor if she is in an active homosexual.  You must love Christ in her, and let Christ bring about her conversion.

I used to volunteer with the Missionaries of Charity in New York City.  They run an AIDS hospice where they care for terminally ill AIDS patients.  Many of these men were active homosexuals.  One man in particular I remember had his ex-partner visit every weekend.  I was kind of bothered by this at first.  But I saw how the MC's treated both of them with the same joyful love that they treated me.  I came to learn that both of these men were active homosexuals.  When his partner began to die from AIDS they took him to the hospice, because they didn't have the money to care for him.  The MC's were so good to them that they were moved by this love.  Both converted (from judaism) to Catholicism.  The dying patient had been there a year when I was there, I don't know if he is still alive.  The man who was healthy was a member of Courage in New York.  He was living a Chaste celibate life.  I thought it was cool. 

I learned a lot from the MC's.  I'm not very good at putting all of it into practice, but I leraned a lot.  Little by little.

Very good point...

I think you are right.

LadyMoriana,

The most important thing, is if she believes in God... I think the "Reasons to believe" article above is one of the best written articles for that question... Also, be an example of the Catholic faith... (you could be now, I don't know) be the poster child for the love taught throught the Catholic Church... invite her to Mass, Adoration, etc... If she's not Catholic, please be sure to mention that there are many misunderstandings about what the Catholic Church teaches and why...

If she knows very little about the Catholic Church and then some anti-Catholic tries to "educate" her on Catholicism, it would be a serious set back in bringing her to the Church.

ironmonk

I've been to sensitivity training at work. I learned one useful thing: ... Wait, my mistake, I learned absolutely nothing. It was valueless time, and you tax payers footed the bill.

Suckers.

I've been to sensitivity training at work. I learned one useful thing: ... Wait, my mistake, I learned absolutely nothing. It was valueless time, and you tax payers footed the bill.

Suckers.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

They were just insensitive to your insensitivity, is why they sent you. Maybe they should now send everyone to training on how to deal with themselves when they feel offended.

Don't get me wrong... some offences are really offences, but I think that the "offended" card is over played. Especially when someone is offended when I have Catholic material sitting on my desk (not pushing it, just sitting there), or I have a G.W. Bush sign in my office.

ironmonk

Now, she is pushing all of her family away. She is only 19 and she is planning on not coming home for christmas (she is at college) and she never calls anyone anymore.

I often wonder, how many kids has college done this to?

Hi guys,

I'd like to thank you for your advice. My cousin lives in W. Viginia and I live in Michigan so I can't do anything personally. As of now, she seldom calls me, but I am going to try to open the lines of communication so I can try to help her. She was baptised into the church as a baby, but her family is now prodestant. I agree about the college thing, it seems like immorality runs rampant at college and it is really a test of faith. I am a senior in high school now and will face that world next year...just a side note about my cousin; my aunt is a nun and curretly has her whole convent praying for her! That's a lot of prayer power added to everyone here, so when you think of it that way, maybe my cousin's sin doesn't stand a chance...or I hope!