An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sanford And Son

Papist

homeschoolmom

:hehe2:

Never understood the appeal of Redd Foxx.

And now I have that theme song in my head. Thank you so much.

Redd Foxx stand up is very dirty. But his TV show is easily my favorite show. 

Trivia: Redd Foxx is the first stand up comedian to have his own TV show.

homeschoolmom
Redd Foxx stand up is very dirty. But his TV show is easily my favorite show. 

Trivia: Redd Foxx is the first stand up comedian to have his own TV show.

Bob Newhart begs to differ.

And yes, Redd Foxx's stand up was filthy-- I think a lot of stand-ups are much more filthy than their tv character/shows-- Bob Saget, Brad Garrett, come to mind....

Not Bob, though.... You could bring Mom to a Bob Newhart show. ;)

ETA: You are right! S and S debuted earlier in '72 than BNS... wow... interesting. ;)

And yes, Redd Foxx's stand up was filthy-- I think a lot of stand-ups are much more filthy than their tv character/shows-- Bob Saget, Brad Garrett, come to mind....

ETA: You are right! S and S debuted earlier in '72 than BNS... wow... interesting. ;)

Sanford and Son first episode: January 14, 1972

Bob Newhart Show first episode: September 16, 1972

If you recall the Bob Newhart show. He was on the phone every show.  Many people don't know that on the phone was from his stand up act.

homeschoolmom
Sanford and Son first episode: January 14, 1972

Bob Newhart Show first episode: September 16, 1972

If you recall the Bob Newhart show. He was on the phone every show.  Many people don't know that on the phone was from his stand up act.

And what about I Spy, starring Bill Cosby? I suppose he wasn't the exclusive star, though.... and not a sit-com....

Or Don Adams and Get Smart... Don Adams did do stand-up, but he's not exactly known for it...

Or what about Phil Silvers from The Phil Silvers Show? He was in burlesque before there was "regular" stand-up...

But I will concede that Redd Foxx does appear to be the first regular stand-up (as we think of them) who started the trend for them to have their own sit-coms... You win... this time.... <_<

And what about I Spy, starring Bill Cosby? I suppose he wasn't the exclusive star, though.... and not a sit-com....

Or Don Adams and Get Smart... Don Adams did do stand-up, but he's not exactly known for it...

Or what about Phil Silvers from The Phil Silvers Show? He was in burlesque before there was "regular" stand-up...

But I will concede that Redd Foxx does appear to be the first regular stand-up (as we think of them) who started the trend for them to have their own sit-coms... You win... this time.... <_<

For a minute there, I thought I posted this thread in the debate table. I had to double-check. 

It was a long time ago that I heard the trivia tidbit. Perhaps it is just sitcom. 

Oh and Phil Silvers Show(Sgt Bilko) is excellent. One Sgt Bilko is one of the elite TV characters of all time. Eight up there with Barney Fife.

Get Smart was great....I have the children's version of that on DVD from netflix sitting on my TV at home. Lancelot Link.

homeschoolmom
For a minute there, I thought I posted this thread in the debate table. I had to double-check. 

It was a long time ago that I heard the trivia tidbit. Perhaps it is just sitcom. 

Oh and Phil Silvers Show(Sgt Bilko) is excellent. One Sgt Bilko is one of the elite TV characters of all time. Eight up there with Barney Fife.

Get Smart was great....I have the children's version of that on DVD from netflix sitting on my TV at home. Lancelot Link.

I have trouble being lame, even here... everything is open for a debate. :P

I remember Lancelot Link (and have the Viewmaster disks of it!)... but I never really thought of it as the children's version of Get Smart. I suppose you are right again. :) I don't really remember LL all that well since I was a toddler when it was on...

ahahaha.... okay, my recollection of LL consisted of vague images of talking chimps running around. I didn't really remember anything more about it. But a quick youtube search gave me a glimps of the opening credits... High comedy.... Saturday mornings are just not the same....

There was a band, wasn't there? That I seem to remember...

I have trouble being lame, even here... everything is open for a debate. :P

I remember Lancelot Link (and have the Viewmaster disks of it!)... but I never really thought of it as the children's version of Get Smart. I suppose you are right again. :) I don't really remember LL all that well since I was a toddler when it was on...

ahahaha.... okay, my recollection of LL consisted of vague images of talking chimps running around. I didn't really remember anything more about it. But a quick youtube search gave me a glimps of the opening credits... High comedy.... Saturday mornings are just not the same....

There was a band, wasn't there? That I seem to remember...

I'll give you a pass, you being a homeschool mom. You are probably correcting people and don't even realize it.

T1yDE.png

homeschoolmom

I admitted from my very first post on the subject that you were right.

:sad2:

It must have been fun to sit around ad-libbing the chimp voices...

I think I'm going to buy this for my brother's birthday. He's old.

I admitted from my very first post on the subject that you were right.

:sad2:

It must have been fun to sit around ad-libbing the chimp voices...

I think I'm going to buy this for my brother's birthday. He's old.

My Netflix DVD is 4 hours and 48 minutes.

Maximilianus

I watched S&S but missed the first Newhart... the only thing I really remember from the other Newhart show: "Hi I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl"

homeschoolmom
I watched S&S but missed the first Newhart... the only thing I really remember from the other Newhart show: "Hi I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl"

If you remember shows by quotes, you would remember The Bob Newhart Show as, "Hi, Bob!"

My Netflix DVD is 4 hours and 48 minutes.

All 17 episodes are available for sale at Amazon. I'm guessing that's 4 and 48 minutes more or less. I think that's about as long as I would want to watch talking chimps.

That show is Newhart, not The Bob Newhart Show. Big difference. Like Curly vs. Curly Joe

If you remember shows by quotes, you would remember The Bob Newhart Show as, "Hi, Bob!"

All 17 episodes are available for sale at Amazon. I'm guessing that's 4 and 48 minutes more or less. I think that's about as long as I would want to watch talking chimps.

Today is my son's birthday(4 yr). The LL dvd is for tonight after his chocolate fest.  I have not told my two sons(4 and 6) anything about the show. It's gonna blow them away.

I must admit that i have never found Bob Newhart funny.  I liked his sketch about the retiring accountant, but I didn't think it was funny. ironic yes but not very high on the Funny Scale. I liked Sanford and Son though.