An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Reasons Not To Be Catholic

dUSt

Anastasia13

How masochistic of you. Should he bring whips and chains too?

Seminar on whips and chains at 1 pm. Free pizza, because without pizza, it would just be torture.

CatholicsAreKewl

Seminar on whips and chains at 1 pm. Free pizza, because without pizza, it would just be torture.

You've been waiting to use this joke, haven't you?

Anastasia13

You've been waiting to use this joke, haven't you?

Whatever could possibly make you say that?  :saint2:

Quod Vult Deus

OK, I really did just read all 20 pages of this topic, even though it died in February and its resurrection a few days ago is only a pretense.  I really like the middle-of-the-night posts, all pointy and sparky.

Most important reason by far not to be a Catholic:  faithfulness in your spiritual life as a Catholic means a gradual obliteration of the I-me-me-my.  Bye bye to that little itty bit of crampy happiness I get in keeping my own wellbeing front and center.  Bye bye to that and hello to...the extreme, all-encompassing humility of Christ.  Who needs that?

Hello,

I don't have many reasons not to be Catholic but there are a few that make it impossible. First, I don't see that Catholicism or any religion for that matter is necessary. We all have a direct connection to God that can be built upon, and we don't need a Church, a priesthood, a supposed divine revelation, or even sacraments to act as mediums. There are as many paths to God as there are breaths to a human being, and there is no one right way. Many of the essential elements are held in common with the world's great religions, and each manifested itself in the particular culture that it blossomed in. The problem is when one form of expression is deemed superior to others. I see much of the history of the Catholic Church as the human element attempting to monopolize on the Divine for the sake of power.

Secondly, and this is particular to Christianity, there is very little to no certainty that what we have in the Bible is reliable information on the life of Jesus of Nazareth. It's silly to argue for the papacy based on an interpretation of Matthew 16 when we are not even certain that Jesus said those words, or that they were not taken out of context. Read any scholarly or historical investigation and you will see just how little we know.

Thirdly, and this is particular to Catholicism, the claims the Church has made have been undermined by herself. She once painted a romantic image of herself as a great monolith, standing the test of time, but in the end she too can't resist the progress the world is making. What many call a rupture from tradition, or even the heresy of modernism, is simply the conscious realization among Catholic hierarchs that the claims the Church has made were wrong. The Bible is not inerrant, many statements we believed Jesus made were never uttered, there is no certainty any of the miracles he performed or his resurrection ever occurred, etc. Ever since the Enlightenment and French Revolution the Catholic Church has been on a steady decline. Events like the Second Vatican Council are last ditch efforts to attempt to land crashing plane.

Just my 4 cents