An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Reasons Not To Be Catholic

dUSt

Fidei Defensor
Pants on women are inherently immodest because they show the outline of the woman's inner thigh and pubic region.

Aaaaaand, go!

We all know that the female anatomy is quite secretive and unknown to all unless they reveal it or give even the slightest notion it exists.

PhuturePriest
No, but one can take reasonable and prudent precautions.  If I see that the person only occasionally attends Mass, is promiscouous or has openly non-Catholic attitudes, etc. that is a sign of trouble and I will simply not pursue her. 

Who recommended dating a sexually promiscuous girl? We're just saying being non-Catholic does not make a girl a jezebel. I know plenty of Protestants that are a shining example to all women, and I know plenty of Catholic girls that could really use our prayers and a good talk from a Priest. But even if there is a non-Catholic "jezebel" you happen to cross paths with, she still deserves your respect. She is still a woman, and still retains the dignity due being one. Who knows, perhaps saving a girl from her sexually promiscuous ways might make her fall in love with you?

i'm sure this thread will be way less entertaining in the morning when i haven't been drinking, but i'm going to bed anyway.

Well it does not quite match the intensity of the Great Rexi Flamewar of 2010, but it made a decent effort.

Roamin Catholic
At the time I didn't know she was discerning religious life (but asking a lady if she is done discerning religious life has certainly moved to a "first date" question for me. 

And I don't see how that means I treat women like objects. 

Can we please see this "first date" question list

We all know that the female anatomy is quite secretive and unknown to all unless they reveal it or give even the slightest notion it exists.

Everything I know about womenfolk, I learned from Renaissance art. :|

The-Birth-of-Venus.jpg

000203612.jpg

PhuturePriest
Can we please see this "first date" question list

Roamin_Catholic, take pride in the fact that this is your 10,000th post. It really is a good one.

Who knows, perhaps saving a girl from her sexually promiscuous ways might make her fall in love with you?

No, that's not my job. 

Well it does not quite match the intensity of the Great Rexi Flamewar of 2010, but it made a decent effort.

or the other one. you know IrishGermanNorwegian aka catholicinsd.

PhuturePriest
Everything I know about womenfolk, I learned from Renaissance art. :|

The-Birth-of-Venus.jpg

000203612.jpg

*Shoots grape juice across the room* Hey! There are fetuses drinking grape juice such as myself scrolling through these pages!

No, that's not my job. 

Saving souls is not your job? I'm afraid you don't come across as quite the Catholic on fire for souls you like to think of yourself as. Saving souls is our mission in this life, whether we are Priests or married. Perhaps you should read the lives of the Saints, as they have quite a few words on how it is our mission to save souls.

Edited by FuturePriest387

*Shoots grape juice across the room* Hey! There are fetuses drinking grape juice such as myself scrolling through these pages!

Come on now, do not be a philistine.

So would it be okay for me to call you names if I decided I didn't like you?  Would it not bother you?  Because that's the logical conclusion of that statement. 

Yes, it would be okay for you to call norseman names.

Basilisa Marie
At the time I didn't know she was discerning religious life (but asking a lady if she is done discerning religious life has certainly moved to a "first date" question for me. 

And I don't see how that means I treat women like objects. 

Here's what I've inferred from your posts, just in this thread.

You want a woman for what she can give you.  You want a woman who can give you children, who can give you a family.  You want a woman who will be holy and not tempt you into sin. You want to "have" a woman - a verb that on some level implies ownership.  You seem to divide women into to black and white categories - wanton sinners or saints, not people with complicated motives and desires and failings.  You talk about how all your "hard work was wasted" when your girlfriend decided that she was called to religious life - to me that says that you (like many, many men) are operating on a "i input being nice, and woman gives me relationship" system.   You're basically talking about women as if they're machines that come in two types and give you different things when you punch the right buttons. 

Noticeably absent from your posts is any mention of wanting to make a potential spouse happy, or being happy together.  You haven't spoken of growing in holiness together, helping each other through the ups and downs of sin and virtue toward heaven.  You've just talked about what she can do for you, like a one-way street.  You call women who you think are sinful names, without thinking about how that might make others feel.   Everything you've said about wanting a relationship is about you, and what a spouse could do for you.   

It seems to me like you're so focused on what you want, you might be ignoring what others want.  I'm not trying to say this to be mean or anything, just what I'm interpreting from what you've posted.  Maybe this isn't what you think at all.  But if it isn't, then I'd recommend rethinking the kind of language you use to talk about women. 

Edited by Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie
Yes, it would be okay for you to call norseman names.

No, silly, that's against the phorum guidelines!   :saint2:

To be fair to Norseman, pretty much most of the beginning pages of this thread was ridiculing all reasons for someone to chose to not be Catholic because they those people would rather "sin".

Some people chose not to be Catholic because imperfect Catholics are what they witness and experience in life.  Especially difficult to want to be Catholic if your experience/perception of Catholics are judgmental and condemning attitudes.  Most of us like to think we're better than we really are, at least a bit better than most others.  Turn or burn proselytizing needs better context.

As St. Augustine once said to a group of newly confirmed Christians:  "Therefore, because you have been made members of Christ I must warn you; for I fear dangers for you, and not alone from those who are pagans, not alone from the Jews, and not so much from the heretics as from bad Catholics. Choose from among the people of God (the Christians) those you would imitate. For if you wish to imitate the multitude, you shall then not be among the few who shall enter by the narrow way" [St. Augustine, Sermon 224].