An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Reasons Not To Be Catholic

dUSt

Basilisa Marie

Not to be Catholic? As in, there are better things out there? All right, I'll play...

1. There isn't a God.  Even if there was a God, there isn't a personal God that takes an interest in my life.

2. There are too many rules about sex. I just want to be with someone I love. 

3. An old German man halfway across the world (who used to be a Nazi) doesn't know enough about me to tell me how to live my life.  Especially because Catholics believe everything he says.

4. Why would I want to join a church that covers up sex abuse of children?

5. Catholics don't read the Bible correctly. 

6. I'm gay.  The Catholic Church hates gay people. If it didn't hate gay people, why doesn't it let me be with someone I love? Isn't God supposed to be all about love?

7. I'm a woman.  The Catholic Church hates women.  If it didn't hate women, why won't it let them be priests? I thought Paul said that in Christ, there is no male or female, slave or freed, etc?

8. Catholics are the most hypocritical Christians ever.  Over 90% of them in America use artificial birth control, their divorce rate is the same as the national average.  Why would I want to be one?

9. Catholics worship Mary and saints and statues.  They're obviously just like the pagans.  If I wanted to be Christian, I'd join one that worships God.

10. What's up with all the fancy worship stuff?  Catholics are too similar to the priests in the temple who would dress up in their finery and parade around to look good.  Wouldn't it be better to sell all those fancy expensive cups and robes and give the money to the poor, like Jesus said? Jesus was a poor, simple carpenter.

How're those? :)

Edited by Basilisa Marie

PhuturePriest
FP, thank you for the correction. Can you point me in the direction of some support for that statement should it come up a second time with someone?

Which correction? I technically made two.

My Priest's homilies suck (They actually don't. He was given an award for being the best homilist in the diocese).

Groo the Wanderer

1. raise strawmen arguments

2. make inane polls on phatmass

3. too hard

4. 7th circle of hell is not too warm

5. exorcists creep me out

6. that Pio guy's stigmata was nothing like the movie

7. moral relativism rocks my socks like lenin did

8. don't want men with actual authority from God telling me how I should behave

9. i like the 'other' kind of incense better  *wink wink*

10. doggone sacrifice was once for all...no fun that way

Which correction? I technically made two.

My Priest's homilies suck (They actually don't. He was given an award for being the best homilist in the diocese).

My apologies. The one about prayer.

PhuturePriest
My apologies. The one about prayer.

Long ago I saw a thread on it on Ask An Apologist from Catholic Answers, but I can't seem to find the thread. You likely won't see official documenting on us being allowed to because, to my knowledge, we have never been not allowed to, so there would be no reason to tell us that we can, unless of course Catholics were advised not to during the Protestant Reformation, which would make sense since Catholics and Protestant Reformers were known for being somewhat hostile to the point of killing each other.

Long ago I saw a thread on it on Ask An Apologist from Catholic Answers, but I can't seem to find the thread. You likely won't see official documenting on us being allowed to because, to my knowledge, we have never been not allowed to, so there would be no reason to tell us that we can, unless of course Catholics were advised not to during the Protestant Reformation, which would make sense since Catholics and Protestant Reformers were known for being somewhat hostile to the point of killing each other.

[emphasis added]  Sinner! You have violated the Church's practices and behaved as though you had unity with those who reject Christ's true church. You must repent.

I am somewhat leery of praying the same later as a Protestant, because I would feel the need to review it in advance to make sure it is acceptable.

PhuturePriest
I am somewhat leery of praying the same later as a Protestant, because I would feel the need to review it in advance to make sure it is acceptable.

I'm from Kansas. I've held hands and listened to pastors reign down God's grace in our circle of faith-filled love too many times to count.

Huh? Later as a Protestant? As in if you were a Protestant praying with a Catholic?

Fidei Defensor

Council of Laodicea, CANON XXXIII:

No one shall join in prayers with heretics or schismatics.

Edited by tardis ad astra

Huh? Later as a Protestant? As in if you were a Protestant praying with a Catholic?

Phone typo. :) That said "prayer".

Council of Laodicea, CANON XXXIII:

No one shall join in prayers with heretics or schismatics.

So when I or other Orthodox say the Lord's prayer, you better not join in! :crusader2:

25.5 reasons. Take any you like.

Edited by Light and Truth

Fidei Defensor
So when I or other Orthodox say the Lord's prayer, you better not join in! :crusader2:

25.5 reasons. Take any you like.

Only providing a historical basis ;)