An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Reasons Not To Be Catholic

dUSt

I think the number one reason I here from protestants is that it is unbiblical. And the number one reason from atheists and agnostics is that either God doesn't exist or God is cruel.

Offensive to who?
Basic morality is not exclusive to one religion.
Just because Orthodox, Protestants, Jews, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Muslims, and Buddhists happen to agree with catholic's doesn't make them bad or Catholics better.

Sorry, I guess it depends on how one reads that list. As long as it is not a 1. Is Catholic or 2. is free to do those things, but also includes a 3. Is neither Catholic nor free to do some or all of those things, then it is ok.

Are these all your real reasons, or are you playing devil's advocate?

I admit I'm not an expert, but some of those things I thought oppose what Orthodox Christians believe.  (Such as on baptism, confession, and contraception, for example.)

I still maintain that one who is baptized by rejects the faith as he grows up is only Orthodox the way one born Jewish is Jewish even though they may be religiously Buddhist. It's a trite thing about acceptance in a group and loses it's meaning, imo, when the faith behind it is not held.

Confession has never been emphasized in the Armenian church as much or done as formally as in some other Apostolic churches.  We do still practice it, but it is usually in a general confession during service. This is more so the case in the Armenian church than even in other OO churches.

Our sins are not equal, but we do not have 7 mortal sins as far as I have read.

Contraception is not the ideal approach, however it is permitted where things like health and economy necessitate. http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?qid=23&catid=52 While I know the Greek (EO) priest I spoke with seemed more against it, the Coptic (OO) things like this seem less dogmatic than some Catholics have seemed.

My abortion comment comes from a split view I've seen among Catholics, including online. We are both against abortion.

I honestly be believe there is more to attending church. We are told not to neglect the fellowship of the saints. Church is a great way for this. It's also an opportunity to serve.  It's also for special prayers and teaching of doctrine.

Yes, real presence is the teaching of the Orthodox churches, and I accept this, though I do not go out of my way to defend it, but a priest did recently say in a sermon I heard that, "Where there is room for doubt, there is room for faith." Where there is room for either, there is room to play devil's advocate.

Edited by Light and Truth

carmenchristi
Some are Happily Married too (with children)

This also poses a problem for those who are "looking" and yet are over 23 ;)

Which brings me to my reason why not to be catholic. Not only do most of the good guys become priests but all the rest are married by 25 so if you are over 25, don't bother ;)

Pontifite 7 of 10

I haven't read anyone else's reasons yet, but heres what I got off the top of my head:

10 - If you feel called to religious life, you're going to be one lonely guy.

9 - People will think you're more loyal to Rome than Washington DC and call you a traitor or a communist or something. 

8 - Everyone will think you're Drinking, Cursing, Mary-Worshiping, Overly-Reproductive, Cannibal.

7 - No one will know what you're talking about when you say "EWTN"

6 - Other people will criticize your use of Latin.  

5 - "Where does it say that in the Bible?"

4 - People will make fun of your nuns and call Jesus selfish for having so many wives. 

3 - Bingo.

2 - No one will believe that your hip-hop is any good.

1 - You have to share a religion with Joe Biden. 

DiscerningCatholic
Sinning is more fun.

"Oh, you left the Church because it 'wasn't for you'? You mean because it interfered with your sinning?" ~ My dad

For some reason this made me really laugh. :hehe:
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints,
the sinners are much more fun.

You know that only the good die young.
Whoa, oh, baby.
That's what I said,
I tell ya,
only the good die young.
Only the good die young.

"Where there is room for doubt, there is room for faith." Where there is room for either, there is room to play devil's advocate.

That basically means yes, Socrates, I was playing devil's advocate and also attempting to pick on subtle things. I would happily argue either way on those as occasion calls. It's a fun brain exercise.

My real reasons are a slight difference of opinion on the pope (sorry, I am not a church history expert either), not being analyzed by my family, not have to risk and then explain a possible change or mistake to people I see daily, my affection for eastern Christianity including the gentleness I have received in Oriental Orthodoxy with regard to spiritual response to things and some tough times I needed a different approach around me (though admittedly I slightly prefer Armenian rite to Byzantine rite and have not been to the Maronite church), geography, and this priest that is really awesome that I would miss out on.  Everything else is details I play with. Muahaha! :cointoss:

Edited by Light and Truth

PhuturePriest
Because flesh gets stuck in your teeth sometimes at mass. Cannibalism is so hard.

I try to eat with my front teeth when receiving the Eucharist in order to avoid that.