An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Catholic Movies On Netflix Instant Play

Gabriela

:notworthy:

I would die happy if I met Leonardo Defilipis.

I have to say, I did not like this guy's movies. But maybe if he did one on St. Francis de Sales, I would.

I doubt it, though.

I have heard (but not yet confirmed) that Into Great Silence is available on Netflix now.

It is, I came across it yesterday, put it in my queue. Thanks for the reminder

Are there any??? I can only stream, not order DVDs... :-(

John of the Cross, I think theres a movie about Father Damien, the priest who ministered in the leper colony.

There are movies about St. Teresa but I think those might only come on DVD.  I have one called Therese and

it is very good.  There is a movie about Ignatius and there are others but off hand I can't think of them.

Into Great Silence is a great movie. I want to see the one about the Carmelite Nuns.

I will have to look for that one.  Haven't come across that yet.

take it as an example.  have a Great Silence please

Great Silence is good.

Lol, his St. Luke Productions does really awesome one person plays.  I think I remember him doing St. Francis of Assisi at my parish one year.  

Well, next time you're in the Archdiocese of Portland, OR, I'll try to introduce ya.  

Anywho.  Yeah.  Catholics live in a very, very small world.   :)

Also try searching for The Bells of St. Mary's.  I think that one's on Instant.  Just try searching the titles of any classic movies, those tend to be on instant. 

one of those one person plays about St. Francis is available for instant streaming.

PhuturePriest
Defilipis is better as a stage actor. Movies aren't his place.

Heresy. Also, the population obviously does not agree with this, because they gave Therese a perfect five stars on Netflix, and John of the Cross has four and a half or five, I can't remember.

Edited by FuturePriest387

Defilipis is better as a stage actor. Movies aren't his place.

Wholeheartedly agree. I really didn't enjoy those films.

I did, however, see "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" recently, and LOVED it.

Of course, it's not Catholic.

Heresy. Also, the population obviously does not agree with this, because they gave Therese a perfect five stars on Netflix, and John of the Cross has four and a half or five, I can't remember.

This is probably just the result of pre-existing bias in people who love anything about Carmelites. It impairs their ability to critically evaluate aesthetic value.

Those movies were bad.

(I will say, however, that I did cry in some places in Therese. But that was a product of the story itself, not its artless depiction. ;-)

i<3franciscans
Two wonderful ones are Therese and John of the Cross, both available for instant stream. They are both excellent and done by Leonardo Defilipis. The Passion of the Christ is also on there, and though it isn't Catholic and has a Protestant-ism here or there, Fireproof is also on instant stream and it's a movie I really enjoy.

I had a hard time watching John of the Cross... I didn't really care for the acting. 

PhuturePriest
I had a hard time watching John of the Cross... I didn't really care for the acting. 

John of the Cross is not as good as Therese, I will admit.