An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Catholic Movies On Netflix Instant Play

Gabriela

i<3franciscans
John of the Cross is not as good as Therese, I will admit.

The fact that the four main characters were played by the same person annoyed me.

PhuturePriest
The fact that the four main characters were played by the same person annoyed me.

Well, Leonardo Defilipis is famous for his one-person plays, and he's super good at them, but it doesn't work as well on film, I don't think.

I actually didn't even notice this till the credits rolled. I was really surprised. Guess I wasn't paying much attention! I do have to give him credit for pulling that off well.

I'm a new Catholic. I don't know which movies are "classic". A list of those would be helpful, too. :-)

my favorite is "The Song of Bernadette" but I don't think it's available on Netflix.  i might check into buying

the DVD

Wholeheartedly agree. I really didn't enjoy those films.

I did, however, see "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" recently, and LOVED it.

Of course, it's not Catholic.

This is probably just the result of pre-existing bias in people who love anything about Carmelites. It impairs their ability to critically evaluate aesthetic value.

Those movies were bad.

(I will say, however, that I did cry in some places in Therese. But that was a product of the story itself, not its artless depiction. ;-)

Hey Carmelites are Cool!

Into Great Silence is a great movie. I want to see the one about the Carmelite Nuns.

Didn't know there was a movie on Netflix about the Carmelites

PhuturePriest
my favorite is "The Song of Bernadette" but I don't think it's available on Netflix.  i might check into buying

the DVD

Hey Carmelites are Cool!

Didn't know there was a movie on Netflix about the Carmelites

Into Great Silence is not about Carmelites, it's about Trappist Monks. There is a new documentary inspired by Into Great Silence about Carmelite Nuns, but it is not on Netflix as far as I know.

Into Great Silence is not about Carmelites, it's about Trappist Monks. There is a new documentary inspired by Into Great Silence about Carmelite Nuns, but it is not on Netflix as far as I know.

okay thanks.  saw Into Great Silence.  I liked it

Netflix is a US service that allows you to either stream a movie or rent DVDs for a set price on a monthly basis.

TAB!!!!!!!!  Long time no see -- hope you are ok.

"Edges of the Lord" is a good movie.  It stars Haley Joel Osment and Willem Dafoe.  It was never released to theaters in the USA.  I just got done watching it.  It's not suitable for children because of some startling and violent scenes but it has a good message.

Like I said, Pope Pius XII  is by far one of the best movies that I have found on Netflix Instant, other than The Way and Serenity. The movie is the best rebuttal to all of the accusations against Pius that I have seen over his actions during WWII. The way that it was filmed very much reminded me of Karol: The Man Who Became Pope. Ken Duken played roles in both films. James Cromwell does an excellent job playing the Pope. 

I thought  There Be Dragons was an awesome one too. 

There are some great "non-denominational Christian Inspirational" movies on Netflix as well. There are also some pretty horrible ones, so be weary. 

Into Great Silence is not about Carmelites, it's about Trappist Monks.

Into Great Silence is not about trappists, it's about the carthusians. Trappists are cistercians.

"Sorry, Netflix is not available in your country yet" :(  But maybe someone can check if The Cardinal is on there, one of my favorite movies. And The Scarlet and the Black. And the Don Camillo movies!

I don't know if this is on Netflix, but I want to see this new movie, about a Pope who runs away after getting elected lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VqNoLzZRkI

It is on Netflix Instant.

I have seen it, and it wasn't really as awesome as I thought it would be. There were some funny and touching moments, but the end was a bit of a letdown..

PhuturePriest
Into Great Silence is not about trappists, it's about the carthusians. Trappists are cistercians.

"Sorry, Netflix is not available in your country yet" :(  But maybe someone can check if The Cardinal is on there, one of my favorite movies. And The Scarlet and the Black. And the Don Camillo movies!

I meant Carthusians. I was tired when I wrote that.