An Old School Catholic Message Board

Isn't More Gun Control The Obvious Solution? Yes, Yes It Is.

dairygirl4u2c

You Dairygirl are confronting the immovable fact that something very odd, very frightened, and very irrational has replaced conservatism in North America. No point in engaging. Just pray.

Well, I'm a liberal.

I'm a classical conservative, with monarchist and even paleo-con tendencies. In the context of American politics that makes me seem like a liberal--there's nothing I wish to conserve.

dairygirl4u2c

"You Dairygirl are confronting the immovable fact that something very
odd, very frightened, and very irrational has replaced conservatism in
North America. No point in engaging. Just pray."

sometimes in a room full of crazy people even a sane person can think maybe he's crazy too. your points are reassuring. im glad to see im not the only one who's noticing it

dairygirl4u2c

""The problem with background check is that they, by their nature, set the
stage for a governments know where the guns and by whom they are held."

ya mention hitler but i can only insist that our current problems and actual current reality, deaths are worth more than something far out and merely possible in principle.

we dont have to keep inventories etc. i think we should.

but we should at least have checks.

if we accept it saves lives, those lives saved are worth more to me than what seems to be a vague mistrust of government.

at keast w no inventories etc... we have te benefit of no inventory and so no real worry from the government tracking anyone.... just keeping them out of the wrong hands.

as for the stuff about astralia.... all i can tell is that the CNN article i cited with Zakaria said that homicides were down 65% ish. i wouldnt trust anything else unless it's authoritative.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

then why would you say ive clearly been beaten if you dont know everything that's been said or have nothing to add?

aint no point actin like you are tryin to take some moral high ground, humoring me with something you must beleive is untrue (a lie)..... if you dont want to debate just say so. 

not sure why u wouldnt debate though.

you must really think you have decent arguments and know what you're talking about. it'd be nice to prove it all wrong.
i genuinely would like to educate you, cause its clear to me you have no idea what you are talking about even tough you seem to think you
do. i can only assume you havent read or comprehended the debate thus far.

maybe on a subconcious level you know gun control makes a difference, and you just dont want to admit it? .

not sure what to make of it all

No, I've admitted that I don't know what I'm talking about.  I'm approaching the subject from the perspective of someone who first read your thread without a strong opinion on the matter.  If I continued to debate with you, I would look like a fool, because I can only reiterate what others have already posted in your thread (but not as well).

I believe the victor of a debate is the one who wins the most people over to their POV.  As far as I know, I'm the only one here who's been swayed either direction.  And it's not terribly surprising that the conservative side of a controversial issue would be preferred on an orthodox Catholic forum.  While you can have opposing views on some things (like gun control), to be in line with Rome means that many would label you ultra-conservative (no abortion, no contraception, etc...).  

Truthfully, my own reasons for choosing the conservative side are personal, and aren't relevant to the debate.  My reasons for thinking that gun control is hunger for power are that I personally found others' ideas presented earlier in the thread to be more convincing than the arguments of the few gun control advocates who gave their opinions in this thread.

Don't take it the wrong way - I'm not trying to take some "moral high ground".

I sincerely hope you have a good evening.  :)

"You Dairygirl are confronting the immovable fact that something very
odd, very frightened, and very irrational has replaced conservatism in
North America. No point in engaging. Just pray."

sometimes in a room full of crazy people even a sane person can think maybe he's crazy too. your points are reassuring. im glad to see im not the only one who's noticing it

:)

What's really interesting about this is that the number of American military deaths in Afghanistan went way up after Obama was elected.  Coincidence?

The intensity of the fighting had been rising before Obama took office and then Obama ramped up the war significantly.  

The intensity of the fighting had been rising before Obama took office and then Obama ramped up the war significantly.  

Thanks - this is as good a reason as I need.

You Dairygirl are confronting the immovable fact that something very odd, very frightened, and very irrational has replaced conservatism in North America. No point in engaging. Just pray.

Yes, it's much easier to make a blanket dismissal of a position as irrational or cowardly than to actually engage the arguments made.  I'll be sure to pray for you too.

I'm a classical conservative, with monarchist and even paleo-con tendencies. In the context of American politics that makes me seem like a liberal--there's nothing I wish to conserve.

While I'm not sure exactly what it is you do wish to conserve, American conservatism in its true forms (especially "paleo-conservatism" as opposed to big-gov "neo-cons") has always favored limited, constitutional government, and opposed the needless expansion of centralized government power and disregard of constitutional restraints on such power - such as the federal government granting itself more power to disarm citizens in defiance of their rights described in the second amendment.

To my knowledge, support of government "gun-control" measures has never been a conservative cause, "paleo" or otherwise.

You may support increased government infringement on the right of the people to own and bear arms, but there is nothing conservative about that position.

It should also be noted that not all of the persons arguing in favor of gun owners' rights on this thread consider themselves conservative.

Yes, it's much easier to make a blanket dismissal of a position as irrational or cowardly than to actually engage the arguments made.  I'll be sure to pray for you too.

While I'm not sure exactly what it is you do wish to conserve, American conservatism in its true forms (especially "paleo-conservatism" as opposed to big-gov "neo-cons") has always favored limited, constitutional government, and opposed the needless expansion of centralized government power and disregard of constitutional restraints on such power - such as the federal government granting itself more power to disarm citizens in defiance of their rights described in the second amendment.

To my knowledge, support of government "gun-control" measures has never been a conservative cause, "paleo" or otherwise.

You may support increased government infringement on the right of the people to own and bear arms, but there is nothing conservative about that position.

It should also be noted that not all of the persons arguing in favor of gun owners' rights on this thread consider themselves conservative.

Careful old boy. I'm a lot of things. Firstly I'm a Catholic, secondly I have never claimed consistency in (or deep concern for) anything other than faith. I believe in gun-control. I never claimed that that naturally flowed from my general conservatism I also support Universal healthcare. I'm not interested in debating politics, I live my life and make every decision in it based on my limited and human understanding of Jesus Christ and the teachings of His Church.

My treasure isn't here, so I don't let earthly things consume too much of my time (and as little of my mind as I can manage). The Bible says I'm a fool and I'm glad of it fellow. :)

I welcome your prayers and beg more of them. I'm a worm. In Adam, I'm a "natural object of wrath." No right to claim anything other than Hell. But I have a hope that doesn't relate to the United States, or the EU, or Constitutions, or Romneys, Obamas, or any of that. If I am to die and not receive the penalty I deserve, then I need your prayers, if you give me your prayers, then I'll give you my guns and let you keep yours to boot.