An Old School Catholic Message Board

Isn't More Gun Control The Obvious Solution? Yes, Yes It Is.

dairygirl4u2c

i said many, not all.

I was giving an example of when it could be considered as essential. 

I know of a number of people who hunt with hand guns intentionally.  Handgun hunter requires greater skill in tracking and markmanship.  Also, handguns are easier to carry and maintain in the outdoors.

New gun restrictions will not provide a significant impact in detering a person who is intent on inflicting or causing harm to innocent or defenseless persons.  Would it be more effective to spend the energy and mind power in discussing how to make schools more secure, identifying and providing better health care and intervention to emotionally/mentally afflicted persons, putting effort in finding ways to stop bullying in schools, etc? 

Automobiles kill more people.  Speeding and alchohol are significant factors.  If it's a matter of society determining what people can spend their money on that may inflict harm on others, shouldn't the discussion be about restricting the sale and use of sports/muscle cars?  Should people who have children be required to only drive and own mini-vans?  Should cars have sensors that will keep it from driving if your child isn't properly secured?  Should all cars have breath analyziers to protect against inebriated drivers?  Should someone who has had an accident caused by speeding be put on a national database and prevented from owning or operating a high performance vehicle?

The gun discussion is hysteria about fear of guns.  More innocent people are killed, maimed, or injured by many other devices than a lunatic with a gun.  If the real reason gun control is being discussed is to protect innocent lives, than society should be addressing the greatest causes, not ancillary symptoms. 

Automobiles kill more people.  Speeding and alchohol are significant factors.  If it's a matter of society determining what people can spend their money on that may inflict harm on others, shouldn't the discussion be about restricting the sale and use of sports/muscle cars?  

That is weird that cars and alcohol are not regulated and restricted.

That is weird that cars and alcohol are not regulated and restricted.

Just like guns, but they still kill and injure more children.

What does anyone need a 444 HP Ford Mustang for?

Liquor should be sold in 3 oz bottles only.

God the Father
this stuff is not complicated. most gun violence occurs in domestic disputes, where if there was no gun to begin with, there'd have been no deaths etc. if we can reduce the number of guns out there, then, which we can with gun control, we'll reduce the number of deaths. most criminals aren't these black capes who run to get every illegal gun they can get.... most are regular folk who turn bad,

Source? I was under the impression most gun violence occurs in gangland dustups, where the guns are primarily illegal and the victims are also criminals.

That's the impression I got from http://frontpagemag.com/2012/dgreenfield/america-doesnt-have-a-gun-problem-it-has-a-gang-problem/

Fidei Defensor
That's right. I carry my for defense against aggression.

Quite right. I just think it's silly that people try to gloss over the fact that guns are made for killing. Just "really liking" guns isn't a good enough reason to have one. I really like nuclear war heads but it's tough nuggets because I can't have one. I wouldn't even set it off! Gosh...

dairygirl4u2c

"If we keep gun rights, tyranny likely will not be a problem. Why? Because we will have guns rights! There are only a few million people in our military compared to hundreds of millions of Americans. Trained or untrained, numbers speak volumes, and they can't kill us all. Do not be so unbelievably ignorant as to think that tyranny in America is impossible. It's happened to every single major power in the history of the world. What makes America so special in your eyes?"

nothing. but i don't see it in the foreseeable future. i suppose the greatest likelihood is if our economy collapsed, etc, and there was civil war, martial law, etc.

we should focus on current reality, not hypothetical scenarios.

why do you place hypothetical defense against an aggressive government over the right to safety of untold masses of people who are currently affected by it now?

Fidei Defensor
Why not?

My personal opinion is that an object created with a sole purpose of killing has no business in anyones hands unless it is for use of defense or protection. "Really liking" something does not fall under that.

My personal opinion is that an object created with a sole purpose of killing has no business in anyones hands unless it is for use of defense or protection. "Really liking" something does not fall under that.

And that is a perfectly acceptable opinion. But is it one you can force other people to abide by?

dairygirl4u2c

"New gun restrictions will not provide a significant impact in detering a person who is intent on inflicting or causing harm to innocent or defenseless persons.  Would it be more effective to spend the energy and mind power in discussing how to make schools more secure, identifying and providing better health care and intervention to emotionally/mentally afflicted persons, putting effort in finding ways to stop bullying in schools, etc? 

Automobiles kill more people.  Speeding and alchohol are significant factors.  If it's a matter of society determining what people can spend their money on that may inflict harm on others, shouldn't the discussion be about restricting the sale and use of sports/muscle cars?  Should people who have children be required to only drive and own mini-vans?  Should cars have sensors that will keep it from driving if your child isn't properly secured?  Should all cars have breath analyziers to protect against inebriated drivers?  Should someone who has had an accident caused by speeding be put on a national database and prevented from owning or operating a high performance vehicle?"

as far as i know, there's nothing of significance in people speeding too much with sports cars etc. if there were, i wouldn't be against banning them.
all those other restrictions on driving are possible, if that floats your boat. we're not saying to ban all guns, or make significant stops from ordinary people getting guns, so it's not really like requiring brethalyzers on all cars etc. 

and the thing about guns, is that they are made solely to kill, and assault rifles etc, to kill people, in mass numbers, and do cause that. cars are not made like that, and only cause deaths as a side effect, and we outlaw all that stuff etc.

why do we require licenses, training, inventories, for cars, and not guns? i say treat em all the same, even more so with guns, cause they are made solely to kill.

i don't know if it'd be more effective trying to address mental health etc etc, directly. but there's no reason we can't do both, address all that, and implement more gun control.

dairygirl4u2c

"we're not saying to ban all guns, or make significant stops from ordinary people getting guns, so it's not really like requiring brethalyzers on all cars etc. "

and even if we did say to ban all guns, it wouldn't be the same. guns are made to kill, cars aren't. if we could transition to japan with the sparse deaths, we'd effectively be saying that we need or really desire cars for commerce and practical purposes... purposes which guns really serve little purpose for.

Fidei Defensor
And that is a perfectly acceptable opinion. But is it one you can force other people to abide by?

Not likely. I honestly don't know what to think about gun policy and where it ought to go. But my opinion is the belief I hold about the issue, if it were up to me.

Not likely. I honestly don't know what to think about gun policy and where it ought to go. But my opinion is the belief I hold about the issue, if it were up to me.

Well, as long as you do not want to force other people to conform to it, then I am fine. :)