An Old School Catholic Message Board

Year-long Volunteer Service

OnlySunshine

As most of you know, I have been discerning religious life for 5 years now.  I am currently studying full-time towards a Bachelor's degree in Health Care Administration.  I'll be 30 years old in July and I'm still living at home with my parents -- something I'm not too thrilled about for many reasons.  I'm ready to step out on my own but I am not working right now and I don't have a car.  I have been thinking, for about 2 years, about doing a year-long volunteer service and I keep going back to Catholic Volunteer Network to look at all the different opportunities.  Most of the programs start in August and I really want to apply before the deadline.  I realize this means putting my education on hold but it's something I really want to do and NEED to do.

The trouble is: I don't know which program to select.  Obviously, I am interested in health care but I'd also be interested in doing clerical work, social service work, and working with the poor.  My friend is doing a semester of service with Christ in the City but their age limit is 28, unfortunately.  They look like an AMAZING group but they are out of the picture.  I looked at LAMP's requirements and saw psychological evaluation on there and about freaked out!  After having the evaluation for the community I applied to last summer, it's not something I really want to subject myself to again.  I've heard good things about them (especially from TJTM on here) but I must admit I'm fearful of that test.

I saw that the Joseph House, run by the Little Sisters of Jesus and Mary, is accepting volunteers and I already sent them an email asking for an application.  I also looked at Holy Family Services Birth Center and I'm thinking about asking about their clerical positions.

I'd appreciate any help with looking for service positions.  I'm looking for positions that have these:

Room and Board

Stipend (preferably over $200 a month)

Medical Insurance

These are absolutely required!  I'd also prefer it to be connected to AmeriCorps if possible so I can receive their education grant at the end of the year of service.

Have any of you (besides TJTM ;) ) ministered in a volunteer community?  Any recommendations?  THANKS!  :)

Here's a volunteer packet the Eagle Eye Institute with the Community of St. John put together, http://soaringforwisdom.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/Volunteer-Information-Packet-Final5.pdf

The first thing they list there is the Eagle Eye School of Evangelization, but you have to have your own insurance and pay $250 a month, just to let you know in advance, http://soaringforwisdom.com/?p=22 But they have a bunch of other programs on there that perhaps might have all you need.

Edited by Chiquitunga

emmaAntigonos

Mater, I'd apply to the program with the 28 year old age limit anyway.  The most they can do, in response, is to say you are too old, and it will only cost you a stamp or two or a phone call.  They might be willing to make an exception; you aren't much over the limit [it's not like you're in your 50s, after all!]  The fact that you are getting a degree in health care administration, and that you've been actively discerning for a few years might make you attractive to them, in spite of your "advanced" :-) age.

To Jesus Through Mary

Have any of you (besides TJTM  ;) ) ministered in a volunteer community?  Any recommendations?  THANKS!  :)

:lame:  :stubborn: 

petitpèlerin

Don't be intimidated by the idea of a psychological evaluation. I think it's just the equivalent of a basic physical check-up, and it's necessary, I would imagine, because many people who are psychologically unstable and aren't addressing and taking care of their issues and have trouble functioning in traditional settings tend to be drawn to religious organizations. Then those issues of course create problems for the organization and impede their mission. The evaluation is just to make sure a prospective volunteer is basically a well-balanced person capable of living the lifestyle and doing the work without becoming a problem for others.

FutureSister2009

One thing I really want to do before I enter into Religious Life is volunteer for a year at St. Jude's Hospital. That's my number one charity. I am extremely passionate about children and I want to dedicate my life to helping as many as possible

petitpèlerin

That's strange, I've never heard of this theory before. Why is it so?

I don't know why it is, I just know from experience, by being around it and talking to priests, specifically religious priests (as opposed to diocesan priests, who I don't have experience with). One good priest told me years ago that there are two kinds of people who come to religious places: prayerful people and crazy people. In the years that I spent around his priory, I saw and heard things I never dreamed could happen in real life. Some people are really out of touch with reality, and they let things like jealousy, pride, and desire for power take over, and rather than humbling themselves, they prefer their own illusions and power trips to the common good and respect for others. These are the kinds of people who ultimately spread rumors, bring false allegations against good people, get really angry at good people and never speak to them again, bring division to communities, try to seduce people in the most overt ways, etc. I've seen it all happen, in religious places.

That priest told me of all the people who have come and gone who he's tried to help along their way, there are two who haven't caused any trouble: myself and a young man. Interestingly, the young man happens to have a mental imbalance (bipolar disorder) that he chooses to manage responsibly. Neither of us are close to being perfect people, but it seems what we have in common are things like we are willing to take responsibility for ourselves, be aware of our own weaknesses and not let them rule our behavior, respect others even when we disagree with them and their decision affects us, and not have expectations of others that we get upset with them when they fail to live up to them.

So, to clarify, I don't think the problem is even a mental imbalance in itself, since we're all imperfect, broken people seeking to grow in knowledge of self and God and become more like Him, and we all have different struggles to deal with; the problem is how much we fail to see ourselves or reality clearly, be responsible for ourselves, and work toward the common good. In other words, how much we fail to be humble and loving.

VeniJesuAmorMi

Have you heard about or looked into the Mother Teresa House? It is a Catholic home. They have line-in volunteers for 9 months; 35-50 hours a week and room, board, and training are provided. They help care for the terminally ill. This is their mission statement, " A communion of persons inspired by Mother Teresa, in which the terminally ill find a home and care in the love of Jesus Christ." It is a place worth looking into if your interested. :)

http://www.motherteresahouse.org/home/

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi

You could also check out the Missionary Cenacle Volunteers: http://mcv3.org/content/long-term-volunteering They’re connected with the Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity (Sr. Sara Butler’s community.)

Sr. Sara Butler is wonderful! I've heard great things about her. She teaches at Mundelein Seminary. If you hadn't heard of her, you might think she is more on the "liberal" side of things, etc. .. not true! Her latest book defending an all male priesthood, The Catholic Priesthood and Women: A Guide to the Teaching of the Church

petitpèlerin

confused by this reply ... ? 

I think To Jesus Through Mary (TJTM) wanted her chance to share her experience, which was single-handedly squashed in the initial post. ;)

I think To Jesus Through Mary (TJTM) wanted her chance to share her experience, which was single-handedly squashed in the initial post. ;)

ah, okay! I get it now! :like: Thanks! (I tend to be slow in getting things at times  :blush:) I wondered if she didn't like that she was mentioned/wanted to keep volunteer service private or something, etc. 

To Jesus Through Mary

ah, okay! I get it now! :like: Thanks! (I tend to be slow in getting things at times  :blush:) I wondered if she didn't like that she was mentioned/wanted to keep volunteer service private or something, etc. 

Nah- just giving MM a hard time. :P