An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Wear A Veil Or Headcovering In Church?

kg94

Do you wear a headcovering/veil in Church?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I recently made myself an infinity-scarf-mantilla-thing. I was inspired by this Etsy shop (theirs are far more beautiful than mine), but there's just no way that at the moment I can justify spending money on something that like that I can make for a fraction of the cost myself.

Well I wore one once to a Latin Mass and loved it so much that I had a friend's mom make one for me which she actually gave it to me free of charge as a moving present. I wore it to Mass for around a month until I became an extraordinary minister and had to stop because no one would come to me. I even talked to the priest about it and he suggested that I stop if I were going to help distribute the Body or the Blood and wear it the rest of the time. After further thought and prayer I decided to give it up all together with the hope of starting to wear it again some time in the future. When that will be I'm not entirely sure.

Mary+Immaculate<3

Always to the power of always. At the conference I went to last year, one of the speakers talked about the Mass. She said that the Mass, the communion rite especially, is a wedding. If Mass is a wedding and we all are brides, why shouldn't we veil? Added to that, I realized that women are required to wear veils in the Vatican. If we veil at the Vatican in the presence of the Pope, why not veil at regular Mass in the presence of God?

Plus, it's just good practice for my nunhood. :nun:

I'm in no way trying to disagree with your veiling or be a jerk. When I was at the Vatican very recently no one was required to veil. Neither were they for the Papal audience. Perhaps a private audience is different, I'm not sure. Maybe you're thinking of when the dignitaries and presidents go to see him, in which case a woman wears all black and some sort of black, usually lace, headcover. God bless and I admire that you veil :)

Mary+Immaculate<3

Always to the power of always. At the conference I went to last year, one of the speakers talked about the Mass. She said that the Mass, the communion rite especially, is a wedding. If Mass is a wedding and we all are brides, why shouldn't we veil? Added to that, I realized that women are required to wear veils in the Vatican. If we veil at the Vatican in the presence of the Pope, why not veil at regular Mass in the presence of God?

Plus, it's just good practice for my nunhood. :nun:

I'm in no way trying to disagree with your veiling or be a jerk. When I was at the Vatican very recently no one was required to veil. Neither were they for the Papal audience. Perhaps a private audience is different, I'm not sure. Maybe you're thinking of when the dignitaries and presidents go to see him, in which case a woman wears all black and some sort of black, usually lace, headcover. God bless and I admire that you veil :)

I don't wear a veil at Mass as I would stand out like the proverbial - and I prefer to just be one of the faces in the pews.  But if veils started to appear, then I would wear gladly one - just don't want to be a potential 'trail blazer'.  We travel as we are called.  I do think that veils strike me markedly as a sign of respect and are even quite feminine, marking the feminine- but this is all just me.  We travel as we are called.

AuthorOfMyLife

I have worn a white (or more cream, since it is oooold) veil for several years (since my confirmation).

I don't look down on those who choose not to wear it--it is a choice (one thing that really is a choice, as far as I know!) and I choose to wear it. I do stand out sometimes at Mass, and I'm sorry about that, but I love the veil and so I try not to base my wearing it / not wearing it on what other people think. I love the symbolism of the veil, the femininity of the veil, and the association of veils with religious life (at least for me).

I will say that I have been treated both well and badly because of the veil. Some people have said, "Wow, that's beautiful! I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid!" Others have subtly criticized me for being "too conservative." Again, I don't want to distract anyone or to make anyone feel intimidated/irritated/awed/whatever. If I could wear an invisible veil, that would make me just as happy. But that's not possible!

I don't believe anyone should be treated badly for not wearing a veil. However, I do believe that women and men should take the time and care, if possible, to dress well for Mass. Evening gowns and tuxedos are not required, but surely, when it comes to Sunday Mass, or even a Sunday Vigil, we can dress in appropriate clothes?

Sponsa-Christi

I started wearing a black lace mantilla in Church the day after I became a consecrated virgin. Although it’s not generally the custom for consecrated virgins to wear veils full-time in the United States, the presentation of the veil is a beautiful and very meaningful part of the Rite of Consecration to a Life of Virginity. So for me personally, I felt like I needed to do something to honor the fact that I had been officially “veiled.”

It’s been nearly five years, and so far the only remarks I’ve gotten have been positive ones.

PhuturePriest

Since according to some of you the veil is so important, I'm thinking I may in fact wear one. The front pew at the Christmas Vigil seems like a good Mass to test the waters with it. I'll ask Father what he thinks of it afterwards.

oh FP....

For me I started veiling about a year after I came into the Church. I was a little self conscious at first because no one else really veils at my parish. Now I don't really think about it at all. The best word I can think of when I put my veil on is "protected". It also is a little reminder to stop and slow down before entering the sanctuary which is always good.

If I am visiting a different parish and I know someone from there I typically ask if people there veil. If the answer is no I have a couple other options for veiling that I are a little less obvious and I will chose to wear those. However if others do veil I will just wear my normal mantilla. 

Like many others the only comments I have gotten are positive ones. I have had a few people remark they are happy to see a young woman veiling and that it reminds them of when they were younger. Another gentleman told me it reminded him of being back home (in Peru) because women there veil. 

Now people hae just accepted that I veil and its no big deal. I have noticed that a couple other women have started to wear hats or veils. It makes me really happy to see that

The veil I currently wear was given to me by a fellow choir member, it belonged to her mom and she asked me to wear it in honor of her mom. Its beautiful and I have found that it stay on better than any other veil I own which is a big plus especially when I am singing in choir. 

Since according to some of you the veil is so important, I'm thinking I may in fact wear one. The front pew at the Christmas Vigil seems like a good Mass to test the waters with it. I'll ask Father what he thinks of it afterwards.

:blink: