An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Wear A Veil Or Headcovering In Church?

kg94

Do you wear a headcovering/veil in Church?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have two mantillas but I rarely wear them.  About the only time I use them is when I go to a large Church downtown for daily Mass and I'm by myself.  I haven't been there in several months since my car stopped working and I sold it.  I'd like to wear one at Mass when I attend my Church but I am an EMHC and my pastor has asked that EMHCs do not wear headcoverings or hats.  We had one on the altar who wore one (an older lady) and she was drawing attention to herself.  She stopped serving as EMHC and hasn't worn a veil since.

I like the general idea of covering the head, but when you start attracting attention to yourself because you are the only one (or one of a select few) that wears one, it can become more of a distraction than a devotion.

I wear a white matilla to Mass and I am one of the very few women who do veil at Mass at my parish. For me it is a reminder that Mass and adoration is different, putting on the veil makes me pause for a second before entering the Church and that pause really helps me focus.  Plus the veil also reminds me that the Mass is a wedding feast.

People have just gotten used to me wearing it though I have had a few people (mostly older) come up to me and tell me how happy they are to see someone who still follows the traditions they grew up with.

As far as being the only one I figure it has to start with someone and if people are distracted by me veiling then that is up to them and not me.

I cannot foresee myself wearing a veil to Mass at any time.

<_< Shouldn't you be off visiting the Franciscans or something?

PhuturePriest

<_< Shouldn't you be off visiting the Franciscans or something?

It depends if they actually call me back.

I wear a white matilla to Mass and I am one of the very few women who do veil at Mass at my parish. For me it is a reminder that Mass and adoration is different, putting on the veil makes me pause for a second before entering the Church and that pause really helps me focus.  Plus the veil also reminds me that the Mass is a wedding feast.

People have just gotten used to me wearing it though I have had a few people (mostly older) come up to me and tell me how happy they are to see someone who still follows the traditions they grew up with.

As far as being the only one I figure it has to start with someone and if people are distracted by me veiling then that is up to them and not me.

I am glad that you are able to do it in your Church.  My mom and aunt always comment on people who wear veils as if they are trying to act "holier-than-thou" or attracting attention to themselves.  The craziest thing is that they had to wear them at Mass before Vatican II!  I am reluctant to wear one because I don't want to start a big argument.  :(

MichelleNicole

This is my first post I will
introduce myself in another post, but I found this to be of great interest to
me. I myself cover just about 90% of the time. I found some of your comments
very interesting. I am so excited to hear that a few of you are coving full
time. In my area I only see Mennonite and Amish that cover always, and in my EF
parish most of the women cover only for mass. I also am found of modesty, long
dresses and skirts that are very attractive, feminine and fashionable, without
being immodest. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes you have to make the outfits
work, by layering with tops because they are v-neck or slim-straps on the
dresses, so I use stylish cardigans to cover my shoulders. Our Lord asked us to
be in the world but not of it. John 15:19” If
you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world
hates you.”  And John 17:14 “I have given
them thy word; and the world has
hated them because they are not of the world, even as I am not
of the world.”  We are called to be a sign and contradiction
to the world’s views, because we belong to Christ.  We are called to be witnesses of His Mercy,
Love, and Salvation for all.  As he has
called us to be salt and light Mat 5:13-16 “You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its
saltiness be restored? It is no
longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trodden under foot by men. “You are the light of the world. A city set on a
hill cannot be hid. Nor do men light
a lamp and put it under a
bushel, but on a stand, and it
gives light to all in the house.
...” I see all of the beautiful points you have all made from your experiences
and through prayer, and all are wonderful insights, but not matter if you wear
a head covering or not, its not going to matter for your salvation, but we must
remember in St. Paul’s words “Do
not be conformed to
this world but be transformed by
the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is
good and acceptable and perfect.( Rom12:2 )And Try to learn what is pleasing to
the Lord.( Eph 5:10 ) This doesn’t just effect what a wear on my body, the
temple of the Holy Spirit, but also what I listen to in my music, what I watch
as entertainment, who I decide to socialize with, this purity radiates my whole
demeanor of life. When I act with love and charity because I belong to Christ
people see that by what I am wearing.  My
actions and my visible signs that I am a faith follower of Christ and His one
True Church make a good and attractive impression on those I have met in my
daily witness to anyone God places in my path. Of course there is always
persecution that comes with being faithful. 
A true sharer in the Cross.  

Thank you so much for this topic, and
reminds me that I am not alone, and inspires me so much, with the grace of the Holy
Spirit to continue and pursue this ministry or modesty and purity. Please also
keep me in your prayers, as I continue discerning my vocation to religious
life, which is the biggest reason I have joined this site.

With my love and prayers in Christ
Jesus,

Michelle

AwedbyHisGrace

I don't. I think it's a beautiful tradition and idea, but it would honestly be more of a distraction for me. 

I'm just not a hat person. Or even a headband person. I don't even wear winter hats.... 

I don't and I won't. It is just a part of a particular culture I think. In my part of the world - central Europe, no one does.

Always do if I have communion. I go to Eastern churches and most of the time, nearly every woman does at least for communion if not for the whole service. When in Rome... (or Yerevan, Cairo, Beirut...)

Edited by Light and Truth

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/81740-ladies-do-you-wear-headcoveringsveils-for-mass/

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/81087-wearing-veils/   << I was once known as "Discerningsoul" but I don't remember my password, find a good list of stuff on veiling.(page two)

We could even do a "Support the shy" day again!

and I had bought two tiechels from: http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/headcoverings_denim_tiechels.htm  and I currently don't wear them.

Let's change that!  Friday is the 1st. for Mary lets all try to cover for her!

Here is me showing them off when I first got them. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150175685476728.307790.747866727&type=3

My home parish is EF but I work for an Ordinary Form church. I didn't wear a veil when I first started at the OF because of all the reasons mentioned by so many of you. I finally asked myself this question, "what do I think when I see another woman wearing a veil to an OF Mass?" We'll I had to admit that I was truly edified by her humility. I didn't think badly of her at all. So I began wearing my veil. Along with that I made the commitment to kneel and receive Our Lord on the tongue at OF Masses (not trying to start another topic but they are part of the same package to me). I hope that if I am prayerful and humble I will cause no one distress, but ultimately it is what I believe Our Lord is asking of ME - I would never expect it of others unless the Church did.
As a side note: Vat II and the current code of canon law never addressed "veiling" because it was a non-issue. They never dreamed that women would stop wearing the veil. Apparently a newspaper headline during Vat II said that women no longer had to wear veils and that was all it took to end thousands of years of wearing veils (old and new covenant).

God veils what is sacred and life-giving (His Presence in the ark of the covenant in the tabernacle in in the desert, in the temple, and in every Catholic Church). Mary is the new Ark of the covenant; tabernacle of the incarnate presence. As mother of all her spiritual children she administers life-giving grace from God to us. God has veiled and crowned her with honor. As women we are life givers. We have been made by God to cooperate in His creative power. Because we are set apart for this holy purpose God is pleased that we would honor Him by imitating His Blessed Mother. Being in the presence of Our Lord requires a response...internal of course...external also (kneeling, bowing, genuflecting)
It is certainly not required to wear a veil when in the presence of Our Lord, but I do so with humility and in imitation of Our Lady. I hope my rambling is edifying to someone!

My home parish is EF but I work for an Ordinary Form church. I didn't wear a veil when I first started at the OF because of all the reasons mentioned by so many of you. I finally asked myself this question, "what do I think when I see another woman wearing a veil to an OF Mass?" We'll I had to admit that I was truly edified by her humility. I didn't think badly of her at all. So I began wearing my veil. Along with that I made the commitment to kneel and receive Our Lord on the tongue at OF Masses (not trying to start another topic but they are part of the same package to me). I hope that if I am prayerful and humble I will cause no one distress, but ultimately it is what I believe Our Lord is asking of ME - I would never expect it of others unless the Church did.
As a side note: Vat II and the current code of canon law never addressed "veiling" because it was a non-issue. They never dreamed that women would stop wearing the veil. Apparently a newspaper headline during Vat II said that women no longer had to wear veils and that was all it took to end thousands of years of wearing veils (old and new covenant).

God veils what is sacred and life-giving (His Presence in the ark of the covenant in the tabernacle in in the desert, in the temple, and in every Catholic Church). Mary is the new Ark of the covenant; tabernacle of the incarnate presence. As mother of all her spiritual children she administers life-giving grace from God to us. God has veiled and crowned her with honor. As women we are life givers. We have been made by God to cooperate in His creative power. Because we are set apart for this holy purpose God is pleased that we would honor Him by imitating His Blessed Mother. Being in the presence of Our Lord requires a response...internal of course...external also (kneeling, bowing, genuflecting)
It is certainly not required to wear a veil when in the presence of Our Lord, but I do so with humility and in imitation of Our Lady. I hope my rambling is edifying to someone!

I always recive on the tounge but I don't knee yet though I do give a full knee to the floor genuflect.