An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random Part Two!

arfink

Ok, time for the remainder of the story.

So Friday was our trip to San Jose and the getting-sick-on-Muni and on Saturday we were too burnt out to do much. We stayed home and did some lazy stuff. Linda and I had a Skype hangout with "B," and then another hangout (on G+) with Brian and Missy. We made some risotto for dinner, and on the side some chard that had been cooked with garlic and bacon. It was very strange to me, but also wonderfully delicious.

On Sunday I didn't get any good pictures because I went out with a camera that had no SD card in it! :facepalm: Which was a pain because St. Dominic's really was the best of all the churches we saw, the most beautiful. I got a couple cell phone shots, but they're so blurry and dark you can't see a thing. I made tacos for Mike and Linda, and they were passed with flying colors by Mike, who declared I was spoiling him horribly with my cooking. Linda said I wasn't allowed to go home. :)

On Monday I started with some web design and tech work for Linda (hey, I gotta earn my keep, right?) and then in the afternoon we went out to Golden Gate Park. This time I remembered to bring my camera!

DSCN2833.JPG

There were lots of ducks. And geese. People feed them most sumptuously around the park.

DSCN2836.JPG

DSCN2838.JPG

We walked the trails around the little ponds. I knew the bustling streets of San Francisco were always just around the next bend, or on the other side of a hill or clump of trees, but the inside of the park was peaceful and secluded.

DSCN2839.JPG

DSCN2844.JPG

We also were surprised to find an egret! He didn't seem to mind having his picture taken.

DSCN2850.JPG

Somehow we managed to get the timing for sunset just absolutely perfect as we got to the edge of the park, where they have a real honest-to-goodness working Dutch windmill.

After touring the park we walked a short way to the beach, which I'll have to put pics into the next post because Phatmass won't let me post all the pictures in one shot.

Edited by arfink

Thanks EmilyAnne, now I can get the rest of my pics in.

The walk from the park to the beach was very short, we just came out of the park, walked across the street, and we were on the beach. The beach was very creatively named "Ocean Beach." Yes indeed, says it right there on the sign. :hehe:

DSCN2852.JPG

DSCN2855.JPG

I climbed up the dunes before going down to the beach, so I could see in all directions. There was just a teensy bit of fog, and it looked very cool.

DSCN2859.JPG

Linda didn't feel like climbing though.

DSCN2860.JPG

Of course, we couldn't have timed our arrival at the beach any better if we had tried. We got some really spectacular views.

DSCN2865.JPG

We walked along looking for some shells (we didn't find very many) until the moon started to rise, and then went back for a Muni ride to dinner (to a place that had truly wonderful burgers... the spot in San Jose we had gone to on Friday had burgers which were mediocre at best, and Linda and I agreed this other place was FAR better) and then home. When we got back I did some packing, and we painted with acrylics. (see earlier post for that) On Tuesday we had some breakfast and I went to the airport for the long flight home.

It was a truly wonderful trip. I'd happily go back again any day.

Edited by arfink

brianthephysicist

Well, the "battlestation" has been shined up, I got to confession and mass yesterday, I've got some food and sleep in me, and I'm starting to feel like a normal happy bunny again. :bounce:

And to top it off, I found this:

https://soundcloud.com/treasureseason/mushy-leaves

GO LISTEN, I PROMISE IT'S NOT WEIRD!

That was really good.  I'd like to chill with that on a nice gentle sunny day.

brianthephysicist

Hey, Tony, I thought you would appreciate this little bit of ingenuity (assuming it works; I've not tried it.) http://cheezburger.com/7026443008

The principle definitely works, only thing I would worry about is whether or not it's bright enough to make it over that distance.

Hey, Tony, I thought you would appreciate this little bit of ingenuity (assuming it works; I've not tried it.) http://cheezburger.com/7026443008

Yeah that is really cool. :) I suspect this would work best with very brightly backlit screens, otherwise you'd need to be in a pitch dark room.

xTrishaxLynnx

Well even if you had to put it fairly close to the "screen" and deal with it being a bit smaller, it beats buying a projector for a couple hundred+ dollars, I think... especially if you're only going to use it a few times. And a dark room is great for viewing slides, videos, movies, etc.