An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random Part Two!

arfink

You'll notice these are from earlier. :P The popovers were OK, but they didn't "pop" quite right. It's OK though, they still tasted amazing.

Huh.   Lots of stuff in life seems to work out that way.... glad they tasted better than they appeared to have turned out.... I bet they were really wonderful....

Thanks for caring AnneLine. :heart:

awwww  :love:

Now this is something special for a Saturday. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS3FveGPGEo

Lots of stuff to do today. Up next: drawing more. Updating websites. Making brochures. Having a guest over. You know, that kind of stuff.

Oh yeah, and I made this:

http://weaselsgonarf.blogspot.com/2013/02/daily-draw-hand-with-pen.html

Made those delightfully delicious noodles with the garlic and oil sauce again. :drool:

I could probably eat them every day. And I would probably be the size of a barge.

I wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow. :| I feel like I have enough junk to deal with already, and not enough time to deal with it before I get steamrollered again. Which is hardly the case in reality I think, because honestly I don't think the guys at work will drive me that hard tomorrow, but given how many times it's happened without warning I get kinda jumpy I guess. It happened again yesterday, they tried to spring some junk on me at the last second. I told them "This far and no father" because I had stuff to do, and you know, the world didn't end, the project didn't fall apart. The guy who was begging for help didn't have the most pretty presentation on his project and may have gotten a little embarrassed. But then again, he waited until the last minute to contact me about it, and then waited until the last second to give me the files, so he got what I could give him.

Edited by arfink

Made those delightfully delicious noodles with the garlic and oil sauce again. :drool:

I could probably eat them every day. And I would probably be the size of a barge.

Glad you like those, ARFink, but be sure you get some protein and veges with 'em. 

I know, AL won't let you have any fun... but I don't want you looking like an oversized garbage skow, either...

garbage-barge.jpg

EDIT:  Sheesh!  I didn't get the above posted before you'd posted the below... they WERE NOT INTENDED TO BE CONNECTED.  Seriously!

I wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow. :| I feel like I have enough junk to deal with already, and not enough time to deal with it before I get steamrollered again. Which is hardly the case in reality I think, because honestly I don't think the guys at work will drive me that hard tomorrow, but given how many times it's happened without warning I get kinda jumpy I guess. It happened again yesterday, they tried to spring some junk on me at the last second. I told them "This far and no father" because I had stuff to do, and you know, the world didn't end, the project didn't fall apart. The guy who was begging for help didn't have the most pretty presentation on his project and may have gotten a little embarrassed. But then again, he waited until the last minute to contact me about it, and then waited until the last second to give me the files, so he got what I could give him.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!   That takes guts!!!!

I wish you didn't have to work, either.  Would much rather go play myself. :)

Edited by AnneLine

Yupppers, gotta have other stuff for sure. I admit I'm guilty of regularly skimping on the protein, but I do alright with the veggies.

Humph.  Proof or it is capretto for you for Easter!   (ANNE LINE  IS EVIL!   :brutebeast: ) ;)

Edited by AnneLine

Proof? Well, the zucchini isn't my favorite vegetable as you already know. :P

However, I am a big fan of broccoli, lettuces, asparagus, carrots, cauliflower, and some others. You got me curious about chard, although the last time I was at the grocery store I didn't see any good looking stuff. :)

That's fair, ARFink, you did eat a LITTLE of the zucchini... more left for me!

And I wouldn't intentionally subject anyone to cauliflower unless I knew they liked it... feeling not so friendly toward it myself. 

The chard is really an astonishing vege if cooked the way I did it... as a peace offering, here's the way to do it.

Cook some bacon in a pan.   You don't need a ton of it, realize, just enough to have a few pieces cooked and the fat rendered.  if you really DON"T want to use the bacon fat, you can use olive oil and some garlic and/or onions (now I know I have your attention, ARFink, right...: ;) ) but you'll need to add some salt & pepper without the bacon, or it will be too bland....

Select bright-colored chard.  The leaves will be green, and they should look crisp and bright green.  The stems can be white, red, or colors....I like the white ones, but the others are OK too...(the red tend to dye the chard like beet juice does).... but look at these and you'll see how they are cousins... and how bright & shiny the leaves are:

chard-150x150.jpg

When you are ready to cook it, clean the chard.  That means you wash the leaves well (they tend to get a LOT, yes LOT, of sand stuck in them, especially at the bases.)

Then you trim out the stems... just make a 'vee' on either side of the main stem and cut it out.  Don't toss it out... you will chop those into 1" 'square' bits like celery chunks.   You'll cook those first... and then the leaves after they are tender.  Here's how the stem cutting looks....

fca42mi46-04_med.jpg

Fold the leaves together (like you were cutting a valentine heart?) and roll them up into a little roll like a jelly roll.  Take a sharp knife and slice the rolls like you were making cinnamon rolls.  This is called a chiffonade... and it is a very easy way to make like narrow strips of chard leaves.  They will end up about 1/2 inch wide and long, cut cross-ways across the leaves.   It gives you slices of chard that will cook really fast when you are read.

Now, to cook them!

Take a pan and heat it a bit.  Ideally something like a high sided frying pan or a wok is perfect.  You want the oil (or bacon fat) hot.  (Take the bacon OUT and let it cool before you start, by the way... you'll want to add that last so it stays kinda crisp.   Add some bacon fat or olive oil, an then add the chard stems.  Saute the chard stems, and if you are doing onions you can do them at the same time.  You want them to be firm but a little tender before you add the leaves.  You can add sliced garlic (or even whole cloves if you are feeling daring!)   

When the stems and onions/garlic are cooked but not brown, add the leaves,stir them around.  You may need to cook for a few minutes with a lid on it, but they won't take long, and you don't want to overcook them.  You can add a LITTLE water if you need to, but usually just the moisture in the leaves is enough!

Toss in the bacon at the last second, after it is off the fire;  garnish with a little more bacon, possibly some fresh parmesian cheese....

When ready, it will look like this:

swiss-chard.jpg?ea6e46

IMG_3236_thumb.jpg

Oh, and ARFInk... some people add pasta and/or meat to this.   hint... hint...  you could toss in a bit of chard to your new favorite dish and have something really interesting....

Edited by AnneLine