An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random Part Two!

arfink

Thanks for the visual.  I already knew about that with the newspaper dots... just wasn't used to what looked like lines. ;)

Sorry it took a while to respond -- just posted the Nunsense Camino de Santiago walk update on the Open Mic thread.  In case anyone who reads your section doesn't know, one of the Phatmassers, Nunsense, is walking the Camino de Santiago in Spain along the French route.  She's posting as she gets t places with internet access, and some of us are adding comments, encouragements, and projected walking routes for her so we can all follow along.

Pray for her, because if you don't know the Way of St. James, it is a VERY rugged route... and she's traveling about 20 miles a day in 85-90 degree weather.   Wow.  I balk at 3 or 4 and my body screams like someone is killing it.....  Impressive....

Well, I am spending the next week in the lake country of northern Minnesota this week, or "up nort" as we like to say. I'll try to post pictures and stories here as I am able. :)

KsYXWOV.jpg

VS5D1eu.jpg

0v3HWrf.jpg

cONMI8l.jpg

First day at the lake. It's pretty rainy here at the moment, so we unpacked, had dinner, and are now just basically chillin out. My mom and sisters have been reading books, Ben is playing video games. Mom is playing her auto-harp thing, which is a stringed instrument that looks like nothing I've ever seen before. Bella and Sarah are out stomping in puddles in the rain. I dunno where Pat is, probably having fun. :)

Nice pictures and looks like a great place for a vacation -- will say a prayer that the weather behaves itself.

Your sisters are reading books... oh no!!!  Now I gotta go back to reading books!!!!!!!

:eek:

Ford Econoline.  :eek:

Yup. Traveling in style! :)

qMA5cJ7.jpg

Edited by arfink

TheresaThoma

Yup. Traveling in style! :)

qMA5cJ7.jpg

Wait I think I see a spot where you can put some more stuff in there! :P

But they have to get a gazillion ARFinks in there!   

Your family is probably the only ones who NEED one of those things.  Mr AnneLine brings 'em home all the time because no one else wants them at the rental car agency.   With just 2 of us, it's like being in the front half of a bus that is empty.  Really odd....

But they have to get a gazillion ARFinks in there!   

Your family is probably the only ones who NEED one of those things.  Mr AnneLine brings 'em home all the time because no one else wants them at the rental car agency.   With just 2 of us, it's like being in the front half of a bus that is empty.  Really odd....

They are impressive vehicles. Huge passenger and cargo capacity, and they actually ride better when they're fully loaded. Ours has a big V8 in it, but you can get them with a V10 so you can pull a trailer in addition to a full cargo and passenger loadout.

Sunday is always a nice day at the lake. We go to mass pretty early in the morning, around 8:30, because it's the only local mass. Then we go to the grocery store to pick up milk and eggs and icecream usually. The things that don't survive the trip up north. We also usually stop at the bait shop and general store to get fishing licenses. There are always lots of crazy knick-knacks in the back of the bait shop where they sell those kinds of things. My sisters and I had a fun time looking at the various piles of junk they have. :P

I found this crazy book:

DSCF1526.JPG

DSCF1527.JPG

DSCF1528.JPG

Then we looked at some of the other things. My sisters were having fun:

DSCF1529.JPG

DSCF1530.JPG

DSCF1531.JPG

Mom was not quite as excited as we were:

DSCF1534.JPG

And my sisters found some sunglasses that were actually just full of holes. They were so stylin'

DSCF1538.JPG

After that we came home, and I went kayaking and ate lunch and slept most of the day. At dinner time we had an interesting experience with dragonflies. The mosquitoes were coming in huge swarms to eat us, but the dragonflies were in an even bigger swarm, hunting the mosquitoes. I took a video of it, but the bandwidth here isn't good enough to upload it. We were surrounded by a whirling cloud of dragonflies feasting happily on the blood suckers. It was kinda crazy!

And I learned an important lesson, that eating breakfast is not optional just because I'm at the lake. I didn't eat much of anything, and had been drinking only water and iced tea, before I went out in the kayak. After paddling around for a while I was very hot and tired. I came back inside to make and eat my lunch, and found I couldn't keep my hands steady. I was shaking, actually quite hard, if I attempted to do things like hold a knife steady. The the more steady I tried to make my hands, the more they would shake. I definitely let myself go far too long without having food! Fortunately we have plenty of stuff to eat, I just need to not get so excited I don't actually eat any of it.

funny-eating-cats-paws-food-540x360.jpg

Hopefully I don't have to make anyone do that to me. :P

Edited by arfink

Today I won't be sharing photos, but drawings instead. :)

So here is a drawing of the dirt road that leads into the resort through a bunch of giant birch and pine trees. You can also see the first cabin peeking out from behind the trees as well.

pine+tree+drive.png

That is such a beautiful drawing, ARFink!!!   Is that a hill or a tree at the end of the road?  Could either be a large fir, or perhaps a mountain.  The pink makes it tough to be sure.

I found myself chuckling at the picture below... and I came up with a name for a second book:   Butt ~~ there's more!

DSCF1526.JPG

No mountains around here. That is a pine tree, yes. I don't think it's a fir though. I think it's just a very young jackpine.