arfink

I have a fun toy to play with.

20130619_201146.jpg

I think I know what I'm gonna do with these. Oh yesh. :like:

brianthephysicist

I have a fun toy to play with.

20130619_201146.jpg

I think I know what I'm gonna do with these. Oh yesh. :like:

I count 4 things that look like compasses, but I can't figure out what the other things are.  Help?

I count 4 things that look like compasses, but I can't figure out what the other things are.  Help?

Yes, 4 compasses. Some with needles, some with carbons, and some with ink nibs. Those extra things you see are a bottle for extra carbons and different sized needles, some "liners" which you would use with a ruler, and one ink nib which can fasten onto the larger compass in place of the carbon holder by turning a knob to loosen and remove the bottom half of the leg. :)

I've been using these tools tonight to make a picture with watercolor paints. The nibs, originally intended for ink, seem to work very well with watercolors that have been mixed very strong, and the effect is quite striking. I can make pin-straight lines and beautiful circles with these tools which would otherwise be quite impossible to do in watercolors, at least with my skill level. The scribing effect of the tip also embeds it a little below the level of the top grain of the paper, which protects it from bleeding too much, although I was still pretty careful not to run it over with wash too often. I'll have photos of this piece shortly, once it's done drying and I can get it into some good light.

Well, the painting is more or less finished. I didn't go into this with any plan besides to play with my new tools and see what I could really do with them, and so although the composition is a little bland, I think it's alright. :)

BTW, I wrote a bit about the process here, and a little bit of how I did things with the tools.

http://weaselsgonarf.blogspot.com/2013/06/daily-draw-son-rays-aka-playing-with.html

And here is the finished product.

20130620_000330.jpg

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR5k9j4EKic[/media]

This reminds me very much of the way video game music used to be composed. Of course now video games tend to be huge orchestral productions rivaling Hollywood film scores, but they used to sound a bit more like this, in spirit anyway. Of course, this is modern "dubstep" and so it has some of the conventions, like syncopated beats, "drops," as well as breakbeats and other aspects of UK-club dance music. But it has many of the hallmarks of video game music, including the frentic pacing, "noise envelope" percussion in complex patterns, rapid arpeggiating leads, plenty of filter-based texturing to make the most of only a couple of channels, and a very simple melody pattern which finishes with an open "soaring" lead. Love it.

A BIRTHDAY?   burn it with FIRE!!!!!

....................................                   photo-13544.jpg?_r=1336592393

25cake1230771732.jpg?w=500

This is a very cool concept. Some people in Japan have been experimenting with using 3D printing to make unusual architecture. Using fractals, they have designed a room with a vault, columns, cornices, and a dizzying array of intricate textures, and printed it in 1/3 scale by bonding grains of sand together to make artificial sandstone. It has a strange baroque and grotesque form, but when viewed up close becomes an intricate web of beautiful fractal patterns.

digital-grotesque-michael-hansmeyer-benj

[media]http://vimeo.com/68364565[/media]

To my eyes, it looks somewhat nightmarish, but in other ways I find it quite appealing. I can't quite decide how I feel about this. At any rate, the 3D printer they used to make it is astoundingly impressive. It appears to have been hand-built specifically for this application. I can't tell how they bond the sand, but it is apparently not by laser sintering, as I would have expected, as this would not produce sandstone, but glass.