An Old School Catholic Message Board

St. Francis De Sales-->st. Therese-->josemaria Escriva-->v

Gabriela

I don't know much about Church history, or how ideas develop into doctrine in the Church, but I've been scratching my head over this one for a while. It seems to me that a clear "democratizing" or "flattening" trajectory in the Church began with St. Francis de Sales (and possibly earlier, but he's the earliest I've found). He emphasized that everyone can achieve holiness no matter what their station in life. St. Therese introduced the Little Way to sainthood for those who felt unable to attain "big sainthood". Josemaria Escriva took St. Francis' idea and institutionalized it. Then Vatican II hit, and suddenly the laity was super-involved, much as the great "people's saints" (so to speak) seemed to envision things.

Does anyone else see a clear trajectory here? I see Vatican II approaching in the 17th century. Or looking backwards: Vatican II is the culmination of a particular strain of spirituality that can be traced directly back to St. Francis via Josemaria Escriva and St. Therese.

Church Scholars (and everyone else who knows more theology and Church history than me), please enlighten.

Groo the Wanderer

all church councils flow from the last and they all proceed from Pentecost.  there is a hermenutic of continuity, not one of rupture.

not surprising really, when one keeps in mind that the Holy Church is guided by the Holy Spirit...