An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of The Ihm Of Wichita

DameAgnes

Yes, indeed!  I love their spirituality, but I am not called to be a teacher.  I have neither the patience or gift for it.  But, if I did, I would consider them.  :)

PhuturePriest

My sister discerned with them and stayed with them on a live-in for a while. I personally met the Sister in charge of vocations and she was so sweet and funny. They're a great Community and I recommend them. My sister really liked them, though I have a feeling she likes her husband at least slightly more. ;)

PhuturePriest

Oh, and if you discern with them, a few things to keep in mind:

They eat Mexican food. A lot.

They love Scrabble. A lot. They play every Friday as a community and go to tournaments sometimes. If you are looking for a lot of free time, they don't have too much of that. Instead of free time, most of the time they just spend time together as a community. This was hard on my sister because she is somewhat introverted and wanted free time alone to read books.

They love Scrabble. A lot. They play every Friday as a community and go to tournaments sometimes. If you are looking for a lot of free time, they don't have too much of that. Instead of free time, most of the time they just spend time together as a community. This was hard on my sister because she is somewhat introverted and wanted free time alone to read books.

It's a good thing I'm not called there, then.  I need some time to myself to recollect my thoughts and pray.  Spending every waking minute in the company of the community would be very difficult for me, too.  :)

PhuturePriest

It's a good thing I'm not called there, then.  I need some time to myself to recollect my thoughts and pray.  Spending every waking minute in the company of the community would be very difficult for me, too.  :)

You do get some alone time, but mostly your recreational time is spent with the community.

You do get some alone time, but mostly your recreational time is spent with the community.

Well, then, that's normal.  I thought you meant there was no free time whatsoever.  But if there is, that's ideal.  Even so, I'm not called to be a teacher so I'll pass.  ;)

PhuturePriest

Well, then, that's normal.  I thought you meant there was no free time whatsoever.  But if there is, that's ideal.  Even so, I'm not called to be a teacher so I'll pass.  ;)

Haha. To my sister, it might as well have been no free time whatsoever. They really don't get much, probably less than most communities.

uhhhhh I doubt they spend every waking minute in community. But "free time" in religious life - especially in traditionally structured communities - is at a premium. Even during "alone" time there is usually something you are "supposed" to be doing - spiritual reading, studying/doing homework, etc. 

I don't think there is much difference between contemplative and the more active communities on this point. My community was on the contemplative side and I remember I felt tired  and ready for a nap ... most of the time! Less traditional communities don't "schedule" as much and leave more to personal discretion ... but regardless, between obligations to prayer, apostolate, duty, and community life there may be at most 2 or three "free" hours in any given week! It's worth pointing out that this is the way it is for many married people, too.

-------------------------------------edit ------------------

*********** sorry MM was working on this when you posted your followup *********************

Edited by Lilllabettt

uhhhhh I doubt they spend every waking minute in community. But "free time" in religious life - especially in traditionally structured communities - is at a premium. Even during "alone" time there is usually something you are "supposed" to be doing - spiritual reading, studying/doing homework, etc. 

I don't think there is much difference between contemplative and the more active communities on this point. My community was on the contemplative side and I remember I felt tired  and ready for a nap ... most of the time! Less traditional communities don't "schedule" as much and leave more to personal discretion ... but regardless, between obligations to prayer, apostolate, duty, and community life there may be at most 2 or three "free" hours in any given week! It's worth pointing out that this is the way it is for many married people, too.

-------------------------------------edit ------------------

*********** sorry MM was working on this when you posted your followup *********************

That reminds me of the saying about priests that "their time is not their own" because they are always supposed to be on duty or doing something.  Being a priest or religious is a full-time vocation and will definitely take some getting used to.  ;)

edited to remove quotation marks

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Renee the Nunnabe

It is a beautiful community. =)  

Thanks for sharing this information. The Mexican food doesn't bother me (I live in Texas, and when I was little, I lived in a predominantly Hispanic community . . . ), and the Scrabble doesn't really bother me either, but I do require a bit of time by myself. This is definitely something for me to keep in mind if I discern with them -- and it is a possibility. =)