An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

And in the middle of Lent?

I was actually talking with someone who doesn't come around here much any more and that came up.  The last conclave, after Blessed John Paul II died, happened during the Lenten season.  Maybe with his health declining, Pope Benedict XVI thought the symbolism appropriate, not only as a link to his predecessor, but also for the "joyful" season of renewal.

So, is it too soon to speculate on papabili? :|

My dream come true would be Cardinal Burke. Cardinal Ouellet, the former Primate of Canada, was considered papabile even at the last Conclave, and he is not even 70 yet. Arinze was papabile last time 'round, but he is 80 now, and if it is like they say, that "a thin pope follows a fat one", then we should expect a 'young' Pontiff this time. Bertone's name will probably come up again. He is 78.

Typically the Patriarch of Venice is papabile. That is Francesco Moraglia, who is only 59. He is not yet a cardinal though, so perhaps unlikely. Lubomyr Husar was papabile in '05, but his successor, His Beatitude Shevchuk, is only 42.

Anyone else want to try? :P

I am not a fan of popes, patriarchs or bishops resigning.  I think they should serve until they die of old age.

Edited by Apotheoun

My dream come true would be Cardinal Burke. Cardinal Ouellet, the former Primate of Canada, was considered papabile even at the last Conclave, and he is not even 70 yet. Arinze was papabile last time 'round, but he is 80 now, and if it is like they say, that "a thin pope follows a fat one", then we should expect a 'young' Pontiff this time. Bertone's name will probably come up again. He is 78.

Typically the Patriarch of Venice is papabile. That is Francesco Moraglia, who is only 59. He is not yet a cardinal though, so perhaps unlikely. Lubomyr Husar was papabile in '05, but his successor, His Beatitude Shevchuk, is only 42.

Walter Cardinal Kasper is 79 now, and retired. George Cardinal Pell is 71. Giovanni Battista Cardinal Re is 79.

Anyway, I am going to bed.

homeschoolmom

Who's Papa-Billy?

homeschoolmom

I'm torn. In one way, it feels "wrong" to retire from the office of pope. On the other hand, I can see how exhausting it must be to try to lead the Church in this day and age. Certainly the responsibilities that tax a person physically (travel, in particular) are different in 2013 than they were even 50 years ago. Yes, he could cut his scheduled down to the bare bones and live out his life as pope, but obviously he feels that would not be good for the Church.

I'm just worried that he knows something that we don't. Maybe he got some bad health news. :(

I am sad, but I trust the Holy Spirit here. God bless the Pope!

Excellent!

MAMMA MIA!

Timothy Cardinal Dolan introduced his 84-year-old mother, Shirley, to Pope Benedict XVI, also 84, a couple of weeks ago at the Vatican.
“I asked him if he would declare her the first lady of the College of Cardinals,” he said.

Dolan recounted that the pope, who turns 85 in April, then paid his mom the ultimate compliment, telling her, “You look too young to be the mother of a cardinal.”

The cardinal said his mom — showing that a quick wit is a family trait — shot back, “Holy Father, was that an infallible statement?”

Dolan would be a good choice (ask his mother) for the future pope

Edited by add

The top possibilities seem to be Marc Oullet, Francis Arinze, and Peter Turkson (cue 'Peter the Roman' speculation...).  interesting that all three are not European (well, Canadian is a kind of European, but still)

but really, it's anyone's guess I think.  Ratzinger was a clear strong contender last time, I'm not sure we have anyone like that going in this time, meaning we'll likely see anyone who goes in as Pope come out as Cardinal.

I'm shocked by the news, in any event.

I agree with  HSM and Papist.   I can't imagine having to do that job... and I do trust the Holy Spirit.  Having said that, I feel like I have ingested about 30 cups of coffee.... and I, too, need to get SOME sleep....

Praying for Pope Benedict, the cardinal-electors, and for the Holy Spirit to guide our next Pontiff.

And praying for all of us...as we help our brothers and sisters to be calm and prayerful in the coming weeks.... and we will probably need ot be prepared to answer a LOT of questions about the election process from non-Catholics.   Yup.   Even more than the last few times....

Is the world ready for an American (or Canadian) pope?

I don't know, but I'm sure MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News will be asking and pontificating (pun intended) on that for the next 17 days at least.

Edit:

Also relevant, from Catholic Memes:

65245_160579974091753_1515079139_n.jpg

Edited by BG45