An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

I'm torn. In one way, it feels "wrong" to retire from the office of pope. On the other hand, I can see how exhausting it must be to try to lead the Church in this day and age. Certainly the responsibilities that tax a person physically (travel, in particular) are different in 2013 than they were even 50 years ago. Yes, he could cut his scheduled down to the bare bones and live out his life as pope, but obviously he feels that would not be good for the Church.

I'm just worried that he knows something that we don't. Maybe he got some bad health news. :(

I'm not a fan of the idea of popes and patriarchs retiring.  The apostles didn't retire, most were martyred, but none retired.

I'm not a fan of the idea of popes and patriarchs retiring.  The apostles didn't retire, most were martyred, but none retired.

I doubt the Holy Father took this decision lightly, or would do so if he did not truly feel it was the right course of action. 

homeschoolmom

If he were retiring to spend the rest of his days on a fishing boat in Bavaria, I would agree. I don't think that's his reasoning. He must believe it's what's best for the Church.

Ash Wednesday

Last time this happened, I was full of opinions about what kind of pope should be next, who should be elected, etc.... and then after the process, realized I know nothing. Whoever will be, will be.

I doubt the Holy Father took this decision lightly, or would do so if he did not truly feel it was the right course of action. 

I didn't say it took it lightly. His decision is simply untraditional, and unlike a lot of Roman Catholics, Eastern Christians are very attached to tradition.   :smile3:

If he were retiring to spend the rest of his days on a fishing boat in Bavaria, I would agree. I don't think that's his reasoning. He must believe it's what's best for the Church.

Since he has decided to retire, I think it would be best if he disappeared completely. Never to be seen again. It would be unhealthy for the Roman Church to have two men who have been pope living at the same time.

Edited by Apotheoun

Is the world ready for an American (or Canadian) pope?

Cardinal Burke is the only American cardinal who would make a good pope.

homeschoolmom

Cardinal Burke is the only American cardinal who would make a good pope.

Who can know the mind of the Holy Spirit? It's interesting to speculate who it will be, but...

I would consider reconciling myself to the Church if I were to be elected by the College of Cardinals.

You should go to Rome and campaign for the job.

I wonder if, in this age of wonder-techno-medicine that can keep people alive into their 100s, we will begin to see this more often...

carmenchristi

Wow.... I'm 4 km from the Vatican, and you guys heard about this before me! I just found out at lunch and am shocked. I must say that when I woke up this morning, I felt much different than usual.... It's strange.... All of this is strange. But I have a strong sense of the Holy Spirit leading the Church - of course that's always true, but it seems so now more than ever.