An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does Anyone Know

Lil Red

Or think some songs are anti-Catholic? I'm talking about popular ones, in today's society. Not obscure songs or songs that are 50 years old that no one listens to anymore. I think there's a Sarah McLachlan song that has lyrics, but I can't remember the song nor the lyrics.

I don't remember the title, but on Cher's most recent album, there was an anti-Catholic song that denounced the nuns at the boarding school she had stayed at as a child. I wish I had more info, but the album came out either late last year or early this year (can't remember which).

Thomas Michael

Nothing really comes to mind except the occasional lyric lines against God or Jesus. For example... Back in 1991, Live was a new band, and their first single, "Operation Spirit", contained the lines "Heard a lot of talk about this Jesus... (He) means nothing at all to me today." XTC's "Dear God" is another example... though I can't remember anything relating to Catholicism in the lyrics. The way that "Body of Christ" is sung in Type O Negative's "Christian Woman" is pretty creepy. I'm sure Marilyn "Kill Your God" Manson made an anti-Catholic song at some point, not to mention Slayer or Danzig.

You're more apt to find anti-Catholic CD cover art, though. Open up Monster Magnet's "Powertrip" CD and you'll see the band members in a hot rod running over someone dressed like the Pope. If you're brave enough to peek inside the CD sleeve of Rob Zombie's "Hellbilly Deluxe" album, you'll see a cartoon of a nun... um... well... let's just say it's not a reverent depiction at all by a long shot. :unsure:

Edited by Thomas Michael

Hellooooo brothers and sissstterrs! :)

I'm just wondering... like, why do you guys say you're "Catholic" rather than saying you're a "christian"... cos when people ask me who i am or whatever.. I never say I'm "pentecostal" or "protestant" or whatever.. I say I'm a "christian". So I was just wondering that's all.. <_<

Because it means a lot to say that you're a Catholic whereas just saying you're a Christian leaves a lot of things to the imagination. To be technical though, we are Catholic Christians. Catholic means "universal": we belong to the Universal Church. Here is a great explanation from St. Pacianus of Barcelona:

"Christian is my name, and Catholic my surname. The former qualifies me, the latter manifests me for what I am. The latter demonstrates what the former signifies. And, if I finally must explain the word 'Catholic' and translate it from Greek into the Roman idiom, Catholic means 'one everywhere,' or, as the more learned think, 'obedience to all the commandments of God.'"

- St. Pacianus of Barcelona: Letters, I, 4. (4th cent.)

Yeh , Okay I understand that... but don't u think that if we all just were called "christians" rather than the label of our chuch denomination... then we could all get along with one another better, understand each other more... there would save "arguing".

I donno, just some thoughts of mine. :P

There's Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young". Another song that came out about 10 years ago (I think there was something about having to walk in another man's shoes) had a verse critical of pro-life demonstrators.

We could just say we are all Christians and leave it at that, but I feel like that would downplay much of the differences that we have. It's a little different for Catholics because our church teaches that it is the one embodiment of "the fullness of the truth" on earth. It may seem arrogant, but many aspects of the Catholic faith that are central to our beliefs (namely the true presence of the body and blood of Christ in the Eucharist) aren't there in other Christian traditions. In Protestant denominations, usually you believe what your denomination teaches, but there could be another denomination out there that's got it all right too, and the denomination necessarily unique in its central beliefs from other denominations.

Do you see what I'm saying? I'm not doing a very good job of it I don't think. I hope I didn't offend you, I didn't mean to! :unsure:

Peace in Christ,

Claire

Yep, I understand what you are saying Claire! And no offence taken. I'm not really here to cause up trouble or to fight or whatever... I'm just here to understand more what you guys believe.

Sinnead O' Connor has sung several anti-Catholic songs, and she ripped up a picture of the Pope on TV (Letterman? or SNL). She also joined some freaky heretical "catholic" sect and had herself ordained as a priestess.

Joan Osbourne's song "What if God was one of us" includes lines mocking belief in God and the saints.

peace...

I'm just wondering... like, why do you guys say you're "Catholic" rather than saying you're a "christian"... cos when people ask me who i am or whatever.. I never say I'm "pentecostal" or "protestant" or whatever.. I say I'm a "christian". So I was just wondering that's all..  <_<

Kinda like the difference of saying, "I drive a car" as compared to "I drive a Lexxus."

Being a Catholic is the original Church which Jesus Christ founded upon Peter, when He said, "You are Peter, (which means "rock") and upon this rock, I will build My Church."

Peter was our first pope, and we've been around ever since, clinging to the teachings of Christ and the traditions He handed down to the apostles.

The Catholic Church put together all the books of the New Testament and called it "The Bible."

The protestant churches came along over a thousand years afterward. That is why they are called "protest"-ant. The "reformers" rebelled from the teaching authorities that Christ had established. They left the Catholic Church in protest, and began churches of their own.

Like Martin Luther founded the Lutheran Church.

To find out who started your church, click here.

Pax Christi. <>< (Peace of Christ.)

I'm just wondering... like, why do you guys say you're "Catholic" rather than saying you're a "christian"... cos when people ask me who i am or whatever.. I never say I'm "pentecostal" or "protestant" or whatever.. I say I'm a "christian". So I was just wondering that's all..  <_<

Freaky Chic, I'm not trying to bash on you, but here's my perspective. I'm proud that I'm Catholic (and Christian), and when people ask me, I want them to know that I'm Catholic and glad to be Catholic. I guess it would be different if you are pentecostal or episcopalian (sp?), but I wouldn't think so. I know lots of people who let others know that they're lutheran or whatever.

:)

cool thanks for yer replies :)

Umm yeh, the higschool I went to actually, was named after Martin Luther... it was part of a lutheran church...

anyways, I haven't actually "confined" myself to one church. I do not come from a christian background/family, i was saved 4 years ago.... for awhile I wasn't allowed to go to church... now I am. I have been to a Baptist, Church of Christ (I think CoC in america is TOTALLY different than in aust), AOG la la la... I don't care what denomination... :) mmm it's 3:16am I don't think I got to say what i wanted. *falls asleep*

Edited by Freaky Chik