An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does Anyone Know

Lil Red

Thomas Michael

I just remembered another anti-Catholic song... it was by Ice Cube, called "Heaven" (off the 1993 Lethal Injection CD)... and I quote:

Listen to the preacherman

But are you talkin' to me

I can't hear you with a mouth full of pig's feet

If I should need the swine flesh

Your body is a mess, but you're blessed

With a father, son, spirit and the holy ghost

But my whole neigborhood is comatose

Lookin' for survival

The devil made you a slave and he gave you a bible

400 years gettin' our a** kicked

By so-called christians and catholics

But I watch 'em burn in a fire

See I'm a g, that's why I ain't in your choir

Cause I see, cause I know

The church ain't nothin' but a fashion show

Get the devil to a 187

And they won't call me a n***a when I get to heaven

Needless to say, I sold that CD not long after I bought it.

Theologian in Training

Or think some songs are anti-Catholic?  I'm talking about popular ones, in today's society.  Not obscure songs or songs that are 50 years old that no one listens to anymore.  I think there's a Sarah McLachlan song that has lyrics, but I can't remember the song nor the lyrics.

You might be thinking of her CD "Surfacing." There are a couple songs that seem to be anti-Catholic: "Building a Mystery" and "Witness."

You want anti-Catholic, just listen to Marilyn Manson that, despite what everyone says and they argue, they are promoting certain Satanic beliefs. None other come to mind, at the moment.

God Bless

Joan Osbourne's song "What if God was one of us" includes lines mocking belief in God and the saints.

That song's amesome!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, what if God was one of us...?!

:angry: This is one that Nazis sang...

I found this in a book called "Persecution of the Catholic Church in the

> Third Reich".

>

> Go bury the delusive hope

> About His Holiness the Pope.

> For all he knows concerning Race

> Would get a schoolboy in disgrace.

> Old, muddled-headed, doddering, ill,

> His knowledge is precisely nil.

> And, gone in years, he can but keep

> His motley flock of piebald sheep;

> Since he regards both Blacks and Whites

> As children all with equal rights,

> As Christians all (whate'er their hues),

> They're "spiritually" nought but Jews.

> The Vatican (e'en blockheads know)

> With verdigris is covered so,

> And wants, no doubt, the faithful band

> Of Christians who around it stand -

> As far as "ghostly welfare" goes -

> To lead 'em by the (hooked) nose.

> A pretty picture all men know -

> The firm of "Juda-Rome and Co."

> An "Old Man" e'er can tell the tale

> And, sure, his pity will not fail.

> The banner is at last unfurled:

> "Chief Rabbi of the Christian World."

>

> It's a good book detailing the persecution the Church underwent,

> published in 1940.

:(:angry::angry::angry::angry::( :angry:

Chastisement

Another song that came out about 10 years ago (I think there was something about having to walk in another man's shoes) had a verse critical of pro-life demonstrators.

I don't think it's that old. It's called "What it's like" by Everlast. The verse goes on about how some girl got herself preggers, then got an abortion when her boyfriend ditched her, it mentions how when she walks through the door "they call her a sinner, a killer and a whore".

Or words to that effect.

Also, another, perhaps anti-catholic song, and I say "perhaps" because I can't say for certain, that one by Madonna where she sings "I get down on my knees... bla bla bla" or words like it, I dont know much about the song, because when they played it on TV my mum wouldn't let us see it, saying it was blasphemous. A few months back I heard some of it for the first time, and I turned it off, realising that my mum was right, God bless her.

Freaky Chik,

It seems to me the term "Christian" is presented by Protestant denominations as a categorization of non-Catholics. Catholics are never referred to as "Christians" by ministers, evangelizers, etc -- at least that I've ever heard. We are treated almost as some other sect -- like some aberration like Mormonism or Jehova's Witnesses. That's the perception for me, at least.

At any rate, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The first Christians were indisputably Catholic. The Bible is indisputably Catholic (before Luther's editorial undertaking). The saints are indisputably Catholic (notably the greatest evangelical of all -- St. Paul).

I know every person's journey is different, but I don't understand how a reasoning person could possibly choose a church founded by the guy down the block over the church founded by Jesus Christ. I'm not putting you down, and I respect the "christianity" of God-fearing Protestants, but overwhelmingly, Protestants convert to Catholocism for the most ironic of reasons -- it's Biblical foundation and CONSISTENCY in teaching.

Thank you for your interest in what makes Catholicism tick. It's a rough world out there, and we need to embrace Christ above our differences.

cmotherofpirl

tm30 welcome to phatmass.

There is a checkin boeard at the top of open mic, stop by an introduce yourself. :)

I don't think it's that old. It's called "What it's like" by Everlast. The verse goes on about how some girl got herself preggers, then got an abortion when her boyfriend ditched her, it mentions how when she walks through the door "they call her a sinner, a killer and a whore".

Or words to that effect.

Also, another, perhaps anti-catholic song, and I say "perhaps" because I can't say for certain, that one by Madonna where she sings "I get down on my knees... bla bla bla" or words like it, I dont know much about the song, because when they played it on TV my mum wouldn't let us see it, saying it was blasphemous. A few months back I heard some of it for the first time, and I turned it off, realising that my mum was right, God bless her.

That's the one!

And the Madonna song is "Like a Prayer". It's not just anti-catholic, but anti-Christian as well. It's portrayal of Jesus is so blasphemous (from the little I once saw in the video; I avoid it as much as possible) that I don't even want to repeat it.

Oh and by the way, FreakyChick, by identifying ourselves as Catholics we arent identifying ourselves with a denomination. The Catholic Church is NOT a denomination.

She is Christs bride, and there is NO SALVATION outside of her.

Yes, but why in the NT do i never see the word "Catholic", but I see the word "christian". Therefore, would it not be better to just call everybody "Christians" no matter if you're baptist, catholic, AOG, la la la..

:huh:

Words such as "Trinity" aren't in the New Testament either, but you don't reject the doctrine of the Trinity because of that, do you?

cmotherofpirl

Remember the Church existed before the New Testament came into existance.

Christianity is the name given to that definite system of religious belief and practice which was taught by Jesus Christ in the country of Palestine, during the reign of the roman Emperor, Tiberius, and was promulgated, after its Founder's death, for the acceptance of the whole world, by certain chosen men among His followers.

This is the CAtholic Church.

Catholic refers to the fact there is only One Church founded by Christ.

The combination "the Catholic Church" (he katholike ekklesia) is found for the first time in the letter of St. Ignatius to the Smyrnaeans, written about the year 110. The words run: "Wheresoever the bishop shall appear, there let the people be, even as where Jesus may be, there is the universal [katholike] Church."

THe year 110 is important , it is around the time St John wrote his Gospel.

Early uses of the word Catholic:

Reference (c. 155) to "the bishop of the catholic church in Smyrna" (Letter on the Martyrdom of St. Polycarp).

The Muratorian Fragment (c. 180), where, for example, it is said of certain heretical writings that they "cannot be received in the Catholic Church".

How can you call unitarians, jehovah witnesses, mormons, lutherans, evangelicals, and orthodox all christians, and have the word have any particular meaning at all?

CAtholics belong to the one Church founded by Jesus Christ and left to the care of his apostles headed by Peter.